• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Decoration Record Card Interpretation

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am struggling to make sense of this WW1 Medals record card and should be very grateful if anyone with a bit more experience could give me a hand.

It tells me that it is a Gloucestershire Regiment record, issued in Warwick and dealing with men who have a different regimental affiliation.

The one I'm interested in is Hodgetts C. (second one down)
Would his final Regiment have been Gloucestershire or Worcestershire?
He has a strange regimental number – is there any significance in that?
Date of Disembarkation presumably means when he first arrived in France?
Under " Remarks": 290863.Sgt.Dis.12-4-18 - what is "Dis" (discharged or disembodied?) i.e. discharged from Army service; or off these particular books and transferred elsewhere within the Army? If discharged, presumably as the result of injury? Or even essential war work?

Sorry for the questions but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

CyrilHodgettsRegimentOfCorp.jpg

That's only the roll. Here is his card...

CharlesHodgetts.jpg

It appears he was first in the Worcestershire Regiment and then at some stage transferred. As you can see it has the same Dis. 12.4.18 under remarks. I would think it is discharged and there probably would have been a reason on his service records (if they survived).

And I'm fairly certain that the mark next to Worc R means it is that regiment and number which will appear on his medals.

Coincidently there is another C Hodgetts in the Worcestershire Regiment. Sadly, it appears he was shot for cowardice.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the really useful information - and so rapidly supplied.

Could you hang fire, please, for a short while. I'm starting to get the jitters as to whether the initial card I have been given in good faith is definitely the "correct" Worcestershire C. Hodgetts and am trying to clarify that with the man's family before any further effort is expended. Shall report back as soon as I can. Sorry about it.

Chris

Chris - this may help.
The Charles Hodgetts on that card seems to be from Old Hill. I can't access the record as it is on Fold3 but this is the transcript
1637943520886.png

Yes, sorry everyone, the C. Hodgetts we have been discussing is definitely the wrong one. It emerges that my "C" is Cyril, b., I think, around 1894, again in the Black Country but now Cradley. It now seems possible that he didn't even serve in the Great War - he was a chain maker and this may have been a reserved occupation. (The Hodgetts name seems to be popular in that part of the world and I imagine that many of them are related, at least from way back). It seems that an unknown researcher picked up that Decorations reference and put two and two together. So, very sorry for the wasted effort but many thanks again for the prompt and generous help.

MWS - realise now that there is not much of a Brum connection in any of this, but could I ask: The poor chap who was executed for cowardice - is there any further, readily available information on him? Please don't waste any time on this if not.

Chris

His name may have possibly been Oliver Hodgetts. One of the results searching for Hodgetts with the reg. no. (8662) is an Army Registers of Soldier's Effects for an Oliver Hodgetts. There is also a record on CWGC for him (died 4 Jun 1915) and it seems improbable that 2 members of the Worcestershire Reg. would have the same number.

Here is his MRIC...

Hodgetts.jpg

...and a link to his CWGC entry...

Need a subscription (Ancestry) to see register of effects. If it is him he was possibly Oliver William Hodgetts, son of Joseph Hodgetts and Lucy Bruton.

His name may have possibly been Oliver Hodgetts. One of the results searching for Hodgetts with the reg. no. (8662) is an Army Registers of Soldier's Effects for an Oliver Hodgetts. There is also a record on CWGC for him (died 4 Jun 1915) and it seems improbable that 2 members of the Worcestershire Reg. would have the same number.

Here is his MRIC...

View attachment 164512

...and a link to his CWGC entry...

Need a subscription (Ancestry) to see register of effects. If it is him he was possibly Oliver William Hodgetts, son of Joseph Hodgetts and Lucy Bruton.
Register of effectsScreenshot 2021-12-02 130143.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-02 130103.jpg

It does appear the he was the Oliver William Hodgetts mentioned above born in Aston, though he doesn't seem to be with his parents in 1901 or 1911.

Here is his findagrave page, which has a more information...

It does appear the he was the Oliver William Hodgetts mentioned above born in Aston, though he doesn't seem to be with his parents in 1901 or 1911.

Here is his findagrave page, which has a more information...

Oh my God! Such a harrowing account of what he, amongst others, endured. A 20 year old being described as worthless by his commanding officer. I wonder how far in front of his men was Major George W. St. G. Grogan during the attack on Festubert? My own feeling, although I do not know, is that he was safely in some H.Q. whilst quite happy to send young men to their death whilst ensconced in the rear. I have a mental picture of a person similar to General Melchett in the Blackadder goes forth T.V. series. Lions led by Donkeys.

A sad case and impossible to know the truth of the matter. Things we know now were unheard of then.

However, it appears Grogan led from the front...

Back