• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ww1 Army Attestation Records

Sian

master brummie
Hello Listers

Can anyone tell me if there is a quick way of finding someones WW1 Army Attestation Records? I already have his Medal Roll which has the Regiment numbers and yet when I enter his information into Ancestry he is not listed. At the moment I am trawling through all the WW1 Army Records 122,793, it is taking ages for each page to download and it is very tedious. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Sian

Its the same old story Sian. During the blitz in the 1940's, up to two thirds of the WWI records were destroyed in a bombing raid. If it doesn't come up with a search of his name, then the chances are the records are gone forever.

In my own case, my Grandad's records are destroyed, and yet his brothers are there in all their glory. Its maddening.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie

That is the first time I have heard of WW1 records being destroyed, at least that could be the reason why I cant find the relevant records. Many thanks for sharing that information Barrie.

Best wishes Sian

Sian I had the same problem too, had all the details but Great Uncle not listed.
Contacted his regimental HQ, and they confirmed records were lost, but did provide us with more details at a cost.
Sue

Hi Sue
I do have the name of his Regiment so I could try ~ all I want is his birthdate and place he was born would be a bonus. Can you tell me if date of birth was one of the details they provided you with Sue?
Best wishes
Sian

If he was in the Warwicks, try their Museum in Warwick. They were very helpful to me, just wanted a donation, and I got photocopies of quite a few original documents about my Grandad.

the 1931 Census was also destroyed in WWII , so no census after the release of the 1921 until the 1951 is released in 2052

Hello David and Mike

Thank you for your replies ~ the person I am looking for was in the Northamptonshire Regiment but born in Birmingham. I am trying to find a 'contact us' facility so that I can write to the HQ if it still exists.
I wont be here in 2052 Mike but I will leave a post it note for my descendants ~ many thanks once again both.

Best wishes
Sian

If he was born in Birmingham you might find his D.O.B at the Central Library. there are, or at least there used to be a series of books listing those who served, by Regiment. They were on the History Dep't floor at one time.

I found my grandfather listed under the Gloucester Regiment there, got his army No. address, birthplace and D.O.B. from it, applied for his records and I was also told that they were lost in WW2.

Hello

Thank you for giving me another glimmer of hope. We did go to the Central Library to look through the Birmingham births, no luck there though. It certainly worth another visit.
Thanks again for your help.
Best wishes
Sian

If he was born in Birmingham you might find his D.O.B at the Central Library. there are, or at least there used to be a series of books listing those who served, by Regiment. They were on the History Dep't floor at one time.

I found my grandfather listed under the Gloucester Regiment there, got his army No. address, birthplace and D.O.B. from it, applied for his records and I was also told that they were lost in WW2.

Hello Journeyman
Below is part of the email I have received from the Central Library tonight:

The Archives and Heritage section does not hold lists of soldiers serving in
World War One by regiment, and although we hold copies of the Army List,
this unfortunately only lists members of the army at officer level.

What a shame it was well worth a try ~ thank you for your suggestion.
Best wishes
Sian

Sian, my father like many thousands of others gave the wrong birth year when they enlisted in WW1, so may be your ancestor did the same.

Hi Master Brummie

I have 2 marriage certificates and his death certificate and they all give different ages with a variance of 3 years between them. Three years is not very much so I do always make sure I cover those years with a + or -.
Thank you for replying it is always encourage to know that other people have found similar problems.

Best wishes Sian

Back