• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Writing on the back of an old photo

ADELE

master brummie
Hello
anyone able to give me a few ideas on how to read very faded pencil lead message on the back of a photo. The photo is from about 1910 give or take a few years.
We can read bits of the message, if I can read the other line I think it will give me a clue to who is on the photo .

Thanks Adele
:)

you could try scanning it at a darker resolution may show up better then try zoomin in.. just a thought!

If you can scan it and download it onto Microsoft office or a similar program, you can make it darker on the computer. This may help you to read it. Same as others have suggested....good luck!

If you have any imaging software such as paint shop etc, suggest you scan place on desk top, open it in PS etc and blow it up.You may then read it.If not send me a PM and I will try for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to move your email address off open forum.
It should really be sent by Instant Message, for your own on-line protection!

Hi all
we scaned it and darkened it as sugested. it has brought up the words we know but again not two words. Will try and atttach the post card see if any one can do better than us.
Mmmmm let see if I can work this out if not will send it later.
Adele

Adele, if you find something that works, please let us know - I too have a couple of old photos with pencil writng that can't be seen, one of them is on dark green card making it even more difficult, so any tips are welcome!!
Sue

Hi
tried to put the message from the photo up last night but struggled to do it, will have more time the weekend so will try again. Thankyou for everyones tips though.
Adele

If you have photo software that can turn your photo to a negative this will very often show up better than the photo.

Good tip John. Often, just using software to make a negative can work wonders. But with professional software, such as photoshop there are all sorts of filters that can help with enhancing details of a photo. Never give up- post it here and I'll bet somebody will help.

Back