• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wrensons

I remember No6, embassy, greenshield and pink stamps all lost now in the mists of time. I have mentioned before i worked for wrensons in Northfield, and the job I hated was weighing out and packing glazed cherry's, all Saturday afternoons, but one of the girls used to bring me up a bowl of chopped bananas with thick whipped cream from a tin about 4pm lovely.

One of your forum mentioned his neighbour was a manager at Wrensons but he did not get any freebies.
That reminded me of my days at Wrensons. I had panniers on the back of my bike (ex army back packs) and a carrier over the rear wheel. I would load up the panniers with items that would travel easily (tins etc) and put the softer items (butter/sugar etc) in a box and tie on with bungy straps. These would be taken home as I was given a staff discount on purchases. Later I had a moped and would take groceries for several neighbours on the rear carrier also, one load each day. It helped Wrensons sales and gave everyone the pick of the bargains.
Regards Ian.

How about Kensitas coupons also. They started off with silk flags of the world before switching to coupons. My mother had loads of gifts from them.
Regards Ian.

Hi Don, I had glossed over that part in my ramblings, but yes that was a regular occurance. The muslin was supposed to keep the flies out but it did not and IF a fly got in to lay its blow then it could not easily get out so laid even more. As the bacon was delivered on unrefridgerated vehicles it maid the blow turn to maggots very quickly. In face sometimes you get bring them out by the handful from the shoulder end. That was my job. With a good wash in cold water the meat was ready for cutting and in the shops I worked in we never had a health problem or a customer complaint.
One thing I remember was with cheese. We sold Gorganzola as well as Danish Blue. This was cut to order, no pre packing. I put the Gorganzola away one evening at closing time on one side of the fridge. The following morning it had moved to the other end of the shelf. Now they always said that Gorganzola was "alive" but this was a little unnerving.
But back to the maggots. A friend of mine was a keen fisherman, with his father. He had to buy maggots. So I took a load of these bacon maggots. They were put in a shed up the garden for later in the week.It was a very hot week. One day we saw a lot of flies buzzing around the shed, and on opening the door there were hundreds of them. With the maggots bought from the fishing tackle shop and those from the bacon they had hatched. Cans of fly spray despatched many but just as many got away to carry on the cycle of events.
Regards Ian.

Hi Maggs. Yes they did. As most did not have cars it was a long walk from the bus stop. It also saved them from actually going to the shop. This was partly an extension of my early days at Wrensons tiding the delivery bikes with the large basket on the front. This was a very serious business but had its fun side,like sliding in the icy road and having to pick up the groceries from a roundabout, pity about the eggs, wiping the grit from the butter packets,and then carrying on.
Regards Ian.

Re: Wrensons, High St. Erdington

Hi there , I have attached a photo I believe to have been taken outside the Wrensons store at 241 High Street, Erdington. I do not know the date but it will have been between about 1951 and 1959. My father was the manager, Mr Flick (centre of photo). I wonder if anyone can name the other staff? If anyone has any memories of this Wrensons store and, in particluar, of my father, I would love to hear them.

Eggo, I think the department store you are thinking of on the opposite side of the road was Taylors.
Photo lost

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. My father was Alfred Armstrong, the manager mentioned in this thread. My dad spent the majority of his working life employed by Wrensons, starting as an order boy on the bike in the early Thirties at the Sutton Coldfield branch. His first shop as Manager was Erdington High St until 1950 when he moved to manage the Kidderminster shop. What a wonderful counter service store that was ! The smells were wonderful ! Kidderminster was converted to self service and closed in the late seventies during the David Greig era. Seeing this thread brings back so many memories of my beloved Dad and Wrensons. Names that I can remember are Mr Cumberledge,who was a superb Area Manager, Mr Harry Everall (Bloxwich), Michael Jacques (Bewdley), Mr Flick, Mr Parsons (Leamington) and many others whose names I have long forgotten. Thank you to you all.

Hi Doug.. I wonder if my father (Mr Flick) took over at the Erdington branch from your Dad? Although I understand there were three branches in Erdington at one time - he was at no 241 High Street. Later on in the 70s he became a superviser and travelled round to quite a few stores and I am afraid David Greig ran him ragged in the end and started sending him to Manchester and other places so he jacked it in in 1973 and went back to managing again for a small company called Collins. You will see the photo above of my Dad at the Erdington branch - if you recognise any of the others there please do let me know as I don't know who any of them are.
Photo lost

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi virtual_jan and many thanks for your reply. I was only 6 years old when we left Erdington (my mum died when I was 4 and dad remarried just before our move to Kidderminster) so my memories are a little vague.I was a Rep for H J Heinz from mid 1960`s to mid 1980`s and I seem to remember your dad at the Eachelhurst Rd Branch at one time.On my dad`s photo I have just remembered the chap extreme left was called Derek and the other chap on dads right was Michael Jaques, who went on to manage Bewdley Branch and then I think West Hagley. I remember the delivery bikes and because Kidderminster covered a rural area they had a delivery van, firstly a Morris J type and then a Bedford CA. My dad learned to drive in the Morris van in 1952 on his half day off, and during School holidays my treat was to go on the van with the driver delivering orders, collecting the cash and the orderbook for next week ! I seem to recall Gerald and Cedric both being drivers at one stage. Certainly the vans were driven part time by Firemen at the Bham branches. Erdington had 3 branches, two of which were opposite each other and the third was at the Green near the Fire Station. Anyone remember the Company train trip to London the day after the Coronation ?

just came across your message and photo, I used to live over 241 High st when I managed the store around 1960/64 after which my wife and I emigrated to Australia Nov 1964.( we are still here)
I remember you dad's name i.e.Flick, but I don't think that I had any contact with him, I think that he was one of the older guard of managers,and with the photo i can't really make out who is in it. sorry that I can't give any more info than that.

cheers

Peter Blackburn

I was at school (Canterbury Cross) with Rod Pretty whose dad Norman was manager of Wrenson's on Birchfield Road. At some time in the 1960's he became manager of Wrenson's at Stockland Green, but I've long since lost touch with the family. I used to love the wonderful smell of those old shops, in the days before pre-packaged food.

I may have posted this before but can't remember! (It's my age...)

Big Gee

Peter,my exhusband John worked in High street,until 1961 when he went to work for Birmingham City Transport.
It was the branch nearest to Six ways on the corner of Newman Road I think. Alberta.

Last edited:

Hi Peter. So I have pinned my Dad's time as manager down to roughly between 1950 and 1960 as I see that he took over from Doug's dad Alfred Armstrong and then presumably you took over from him? He then moved to Eachelhurst Road.

Jan

I can only remember one Wrenson's store in Erdington High Street after l945 but it looks as though there was more than one. I love the photos posted on this thread. Some of the faces in them seem very familiar. The close up of the products on the shelves is fascinating as well. I used to do quite a bit of grocery shopping in the High Street in those years for Mom and went to Wrenson's, George Mason's, which was near the Snack Bar, Home and Colonial which was down Six Ways end and Perks,. Quite where that shop was I am not sure. This was in the days before the supermarket stores appeared. Armed with Mom's very specific shopping list I would try and complete my task. It would be great to get a Kelly's list of the shops along the High Street from 1945 through to the l960's. I would love to write about them.

I was talking to my ex yesterday recalling his time at Wrensons,he used to go to Geo. Msons and Liptons in the morning to check their prices so that his manager could undercut them.
He also told me that when he was cutting the large cheeses and weighing and wrapping them he would cut a off a tiny piece and eat it.
His manager was Mr Green.
They had a new manager and at the end of the week when he was paid he gave him a bill for the cheese he had eaten.

I wonder, Alberta, did he ever get to know the guys from the other grocery stores who came to check up on Wrensons prices?

I worked, between jobs for six months, for Wrensons. One of my tasks was to cycle -on the Comapny cycle - two miles or so to the bank to pay-in the takings. I always enjoyed the ride, I have always preferred outdoors to indoors, but I guess in was lucky that I was not robbed as I used to take some unusual routes - usually back lanes behind the houses to get to the bank. Today I guess I would get mugged.

An earlier post mentions someone who moved to the BCT from Wrrensons employ. A gentleman, who also worked fro Wrensons at the time I was there, also left for the BCT. It was he who allowed me to ring the bell on bus 296 from Camp Hill to Baldwins lane (just quickly sitting down in the small seat once when I spotted an inspector).

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this site but wanted to let you know that I was born over Wrensons in 1951 in Hawthorn Road. My Dad, John Bagnall was Manager at the time and I think we were there for around 5 years (prior and after my birth). I've been trying to locate some old photos of my "birthplace" for my history book I'm doing for the children. Do you know of anyone who has any old Hawthorn Road pictures including the shop front?
Many thanks
Jenny

Hi Atimetokiln. You'll find quite a lot about Hawthorn Road on the "Kingstanding" thread. I lived in Kingstanding for about 18 years. Can you remind me of where Wrenson's shop was? Was it somewhere along the row of shops by Littlewoods etc? Viv.

Hello Eggo
I have a [photo of Wrensons on the Green (Sutton End) with a group staff outside all in white coats. Mr. Ernes ...ard Palmer's name is above the door as licensee. My aunt is on this photo.

Fentham

Hi all i worked at wrensons oposite the fox and goose pub ward end when i left school in 1970, the take home pay was £5-18s-1p for 40 hours
the manager was mr Monk.

Wrensons were the only store where we could buy "Oyster Cut" Bacon. It was cut in a different way and was much nicer than other cut of the slicer.

There was a branch of Wrensons in Curdale Road, Bartley Green. It closed down many many years ago but I've always called it Wrensons even to this day. It is a grocery shop under the name of "Roys". The shopping precinct was built in around 1956 and there were some interesting shops. Woolworths, Birmingham Municipal Bank, McCauley's toy shop, Wimbush's, Vic's Pet Store

Last edited:
when those shops were being built we lived in hasbury road (21), and I would play with my mates on the building site, funny how you think of these things after all these years. i remember the big steam rollers tarmacing the road just before they finnished.
paul

Hi Paul, can you recall the year they were built? I think I would be around 5 or 6. I mentioned the Williamson's in a recent post, nice Jag's etc. Their house backed onto the field up to Woodgate School. This was known locally as the Back Field. We used to dig holes in the field, cover them with corrugated steel sheets and soil. We cut steps into the ground to get in and a fireplace at one end (just an opening with a sort of flimsy chimney. My mom once made an apple pie for the gang of us and we cooked it in the Den. It was not a culinary delight if I remember.
This field ran all the way down to Adams Hill by Deeley's cotage. My Brother Mick went bird nesting in Deeley's roof but his foot slipped on a shutter and the old lady came out to us so we ran. I seem to remember throwing hardened cow-pats and I can only suppose they were from the cattle going into the dairy at the bottom of Romlsey Road but I'd need confirmation of that

We moved into hasbury road around 1950, where the shops were was all open field land. I would have been around 5/6 when the building started so I would say that your earlier estimate as about right 1956ish. I remember the back land and I would walk across it to visit my friend smithy who lived in woodgate lane. no I did not know the williamsons, most mates were real working class with no-one owning a car even. I remember the dairy facing our house in adams hill. I remember half way up adams hill on the RHS walking towards woodgate was a farm house and next to it a path which ran down to a brook, I was in the scouts which met at woodgate school and marched with them in the 1957 jamboree at sutton park, I am sadly not able to remember anyone else now, I had friends in the prefabs facing the cock inn, I went first to st michaels in the village victorian school then to the new school in field lane/scotland road. you could walk across open field land all the way to the bluebell woods from hasbury road, our doctors was at the top of romsey road near the traffic island, mr gurney the village vicar of st michaels and all angels, and you could walk across the fields from offmore road to field lane too. sorry can't remember much else really.
regards paul

The Farm on the RHS up Adams Hill by the brook was Broadhidley Farm. This has all been developed and is where I live now. "Birmetals" in Adams Hill/Clapgate Lane has totally disappeared It is now a housing estate / Buisiness park

Do you remember the "Springpits" (wooded copse, with fast flowing brooks) across the fields from Wood Lane towards Halesowen / Woodgate. It was always popular with youngsters untl they built the M5 which really cut it off. There were two big holes in the fields and it was said German bombers missed Birmetals during a night raid. My wife & I enjoy walking and we recently went down by the Old Crown in Woodgate to Lye Close Farm and along some Green lanes that still exist and we came to the Springpits and it was exactly as it was all those years ago. The green lane brings you out by the Black Horse at Illey. Thanks so much for reminiscing, it is always nice to recall Bartley Green in days gone by.

I meant to add, my eldest brother Alan also went to St. Michaels in the old church school by the water tower and was in the scouts. I remember him pushing the hand cart with the equipment going to camp on a site near Frankly Beeches. He looked so smart in his uniform and old style hat. He went on to the new secondary school in Adams Hill which e now call the 'old' school

Hello Eggo
I have a [photo of Wrensons on the Green (Sutton End) with a group staff outside all in white coats. Mr. Ernes ...ard Palmer's name is above the door as licensee. My aunt is on this photo.

Fentham
My name is Derek Hudson, I worked at this branch of Wrensons with Mr Palmer during the 60s, I would love a photo, and indeed to talk about those days.

Best wishes

Derek

Back