• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

World War Two Posters

Oisin,The Walls have ears and don't forget it mustn't go any further,and for heaven's sake don,t say I told you...............Strictly between these four walls

Replacement image, may vary from original.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff Cromwell....The art work in many of these posters is something you just don't see these days according to my husband, a graphic designer of many years. He likes to look
at them also. Thanks for posting them once again.

Love the posters, I have a few from a series of Facimilie papers called The War Papers I used to collect. I particularly like the Blackout posters, especially the one with the cat, fantastic artwork.

Poster one  Blackout poster
Poster Two as I have had to reduce the size, the writing is hard to see so here is what it says in the red circles starting from back bumper.
Matt white paint on bumper. Reduced red rear lamp or red and amber stop light. Reversing lamp prohibited. No inside light. Remove ignition key when parked. Clean windshield. Dimmed sidelamp. Use one headlamp fitted with a split mask. Fog light for fog only. Dimmed indicator. Door locked when parked. White paint on edge of running board. And the small writing in the bottom middle says, In addition, if car is left outside part of the mechanism must be removed, or a locking device applied or the car must be in a locked garage or yard

Graham..you my friend are worth every minute of your time on here...thank you.. (glad you're back safe)

Hi Graham,
looking at the security about cars?
the Rotor Arm in the distibutor also had to be removed
Great stuff mate,as I have already mentioned

I will continue posting stuff ( not a political correct word but I don't give a Damn) as long as folk enjoy what I post "Thats what its all about"
I do not preach, I try to give the truth as I know it.
If anything I say is wrong ..........Say so ..........and I will sort it out .............one way or another

Now this is an intresting photo which I found in Alton Douglas book Birmingham Shops
The Date on the photo is 1960 which is hard to believe that this poster had been on the hoardings for about 15 years.
So I am going to say the date is completely wrong and I would date it no later that 1949
The hoardings are in Ryder St and showing Stafford St

This Photo was taken in 1948c in Edward Rd Erdington
To top posters are the same as the one I have posted

One for you Chris (if you want a copy large format I will send ya one )

Only 3 posters I have, Phil on the Barrage Balloon

Two replacement images, may vary from originals.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Waste, socks

Replacement images, may vary from originals.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

HI CROM, THATS A CRACKING COLLECTION YOU HAVE GOT THANKS FOR SHOWING THEM ON THE FORUM, IV,E NOT SEEN MANY BEFORE THAT COLLECTION MUST BE PRICELESS , AND YOU MY MATE ARE WORTH YOUR WEIGHT IN GOLD TO THIS FORUM, I READ AND FOLLOW ALL YOUR TOPICS WITH GREAT INTREST ON THIS FORUM                                  BEST WISHES  ASTONIAN ,;;;;

Thanks for that Astonian
I was not going to put this on as it is a WW2 postcard but as I only have about three,I might as well

I have put three of these poster up, so now lets see if I can find the other three.
Intresting note
All this white paint in the road started in the Blitz, white lines down the middle of the road and painting the kerbs so you could see were you was going in the blackout...........now all those years later we are still going mad with the paint
(PS I don't want to start another thread about it either)

Go to it Photo and the Poster

Replacement poster image.

image.jpeg

I never quite understood why a Rag and Bone was so called as I never saw them collecting bones
Maybe the term started from the war

Replacement images, may vary from originals.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks Cromwell, as a new born at the start of the war, I can remember a lot of the posters still being around when my Mom took me in to the City.Its great to see they are not lost for ever.
our History should never be forgot,its were we all came from. O0
ASTON

Intresting Photo of Holliday St , note the wall with 3 posters on, on the far right

Back