• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Workhouse Infirmary 99 Dudley Rd 1 Western Road

i was born in dudley road hospital in 1940 my mother died in dudley road hostpital in 1953 and my granmother my mom's mother died in western road hospital 2 week's before my mother

On her death certificate, my Grandma died at 1, Western Road in 1931....Can anyone tell me whether it was Western Road Hospital then?....I need accurate information because my husband is penning a hand drawn copy of my family tree.... Lucky aint I!

Many thanks...Florence :)

Dear Jill,
I addition to earlier message, Another resource is on the top floor at the B'm Central Library, the annals of the Dudley rd workhouse, showing it to have established an excellent school in the 1830s, and accounts of strict inquiries into any sort of mal practice. Not at all as awful as we might believe! Good hunting, Rita

Hi I just wondered if anybody could help me... I've been tracing my family tree and have just had the death certificate back of Louisa Gittens who died 14.12.1910 in the workhouse infirmary Western road. I am new to tracing my family tree and wondered... would she have to have lived in the work house to be in the infirmary there or were they used by the public when unwell?
Also is there a register for ones that were admitted and the reasons why they were admitted?
Hope someone will be able to help....:)

Hi, it was known as the Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary from 1889 to 1920 and Dudley Road Hospital from 1921-1948. The National Archives claims that the Admission and Discharge records are held at Birmingham Archives (Birmingham Central Library) for the period 1890 to 1960. If you're not local to Birmingham there is a very good researcher who will carry out a search for you. I don't think you had to live there to be in the Infirmary - my great grandfather died there after having an accident at home.
Good luck!

Thank you every bit of information helps, it looks like I will be making a trip to Birmingham Library then, a researcher would be helpful but I can't afford it and I am nosey enough not to mind digging around ha ha ;o)
Thank you Sasha for your reply, I am new to the group and to forums but I am looking forward to seeing if anybody else posts any info.

I need the luck thanks ;o)

hi,guys is there any school registers, of summerhill or shenley fields from. 1915-1930..to look at. your help needed please...cheers..christy.

Just discovered on 1911 census that a great uncle was in this workhouse how do I go about finding out if he got out or died in there? and why he was in there in the first place - I was shocked that they still existed in 1911! Any help much appreciated.

Western Road workhouse was still there in 1938 as my Greatgrand mother died in there.
Try and find out when he died and it will tell you if he died in the workhouse.
Sometimes they were put in the workhouse infirmary if they were ill.
If you tell me his name i will look on the Electoral Rolls.

Carolann

Hi thanks for replying his name was John Law born 1846 I think he died in 1915. Sorry Im not more sure - would the records say why is was in there?

If you think he died in 1915 ,i looked on the 1912 Electoral John Law was not on there.
If you send for his death certificate it will tell you if he died in the workhouse.
Or if you go to the Birmingham Library they will have the records of Western Road Workhouse
and hopefully they will tell you why he was in there.

Carol

Thank you. This sounds a silly question but as I am fairly new to family history research how/where do you get the Electoral registers for previous decades/centuries? as this would help to fill in a lot of gaps between censuses?

Hi

If you google Birmingham Workhouse Western Road, there is information on there about the workhouse and its history.

If you are after electoral register birmingham libray have them they are on the sixth floor.

Kind regards Paula

Hello all
Re the electoral register at birmingham libary, do you have to go to the central libary or can you access them in any other way. I am in Devon and not back in Brum for a few months. Also do you have to book or can you just turn up at the libary? I also have a family memberI am trying to trace who I belive may have been in the workhouse. Her first apperence is on a census is in 1871 working as a servant for a family of Taylors who lived in Western road. She is not ever listed with her parents and they disapear off the census in this year too. Were families in the workhouse reqisted and is it possible that buisnesses in the weston road area recuited staff from children from the workhouse. She was only 13 which seems very young to leave home to work and her brothers and sisters in later census seem to have stayed at home for longer. Also seems a coinsidence that she is living and working in Western Road where the Workhouse is. As I have been told Western road wasn't a very grand road and the house she worked in doesn't seem large, I belive the head of the household was himself a servant in Devon Prior to coming to Birmingham. It really does seem a bit of a mystory. Any help or advice apreciated. Many thanks

Hi - did you have any luck with your grandfather who was born in Dudley Road Workhouse in 1866?
My great grandfather died in 1923 and was born in 1858 so was 65 when he died of cancer of the prostate but on his death it says he died at Dudley Road.

Would this be the Hospital of the workhouse? -If you can help or if anyone reads this thread that can help please let me know.
all the best
Mark

Hi Mark,

I would say that he died in Dudley Road Hospital. The workhouse was in Western Road.

Old Boy (Chris Beresford)

Hi Thanks Chris for your quick reply i did think this was the Hospital as he had already retired,his mother however Jane Randell died in 1888 - i ordered her death certificate and she died in Aston Union Workhouse which appears to be in Erdington Birmingham - i am still trying to locate where she is buried - i pressume the records are kept at the library?
His daughter Lillian Partridge nee Randell died at 1 Weston Road Winson Green - would this be some sorth of institution and im sure these places will crop up again when i order more certificates on my moms side

Hope you can help again
cheers
Mark Randell

Can anyone tell me about Alice Jennens born in the Dudley Road Workhouse on 24th August, 1868. I understant her father was William Jennens, my GGrandfather, who would have been 16 at the time. Can anyone tell me who her mother was? When and if she married and when she died?

I have an Alice 'Jennings' baptised 28 Aug 1868 at St Martins Birmingham father Willliam mother Sarah abode workhouse. The surname was often spelt Jennings or Jennens and as couples often could not write they didn't know it was spelt wrong.

Thank you Wendy for your prompt reply. It may be possible that the Sarah mentioned as her mother was Sarah Ann Shelley, who married William in 1873. She was 11 years older than him and would have been 27 when Alice was born, although he was only 16. I will have to search further to try and find out more about her. Once again, thanks.

Daphne

Hi
I came across this photo of a workhouse in Kings Norton

Regards Stars
Work_house_Kings_Norton.jpg

hi,guys..in need of yr help..looking for info of the church, name, in the grounds of [shenly-fields cottage- homes] i gfather was sent there in 1919..to 1928..he was first at [summerhill boys home].[ dudley rd].in 1915..aged 3..if he was baptisted, where would they hold the record, & is there any school records, or register ...his name was [jack preen]..along with his sister [floss preen].. many thanks in advance..christy..

Back