• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery

T

Tanya

Good afternoon everyone

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me out with a query I have about my grandfather's grave at Witton Cemetery.

I have found out that the plot where he is buried was bought and paid for by his wife and that it was a plot for 3 people - but no-one else is buried there (I think great-gran might be at the Crematorium instead). Was it usual to buy a plot for 3 people at that time? It just seems a bit of an odd number :confused:

Also, I have a Grant Number for g-grandad's grave but have no idea what this is for or what to do with it. Can I use it to write off somewhere for information on the plot? (I haven't looked into burials before so it's all a bit new to me).

Thanks everyone and hope someone can help me out and point me in the right direction :)

The grave would be a puchased one and most family graves were for three people, I think it was something to do with the depth. If the grave was not used after the first burial I believe as you have the grant you can still use it for burial.
It would be a good idea as jennyann says to contact Witton cemetery give them all the information you have, names, dates purchaser and any info on the grant. Good Luck.

Not unusual

Hello Tanya:)...Not unusual for there to be three buried in the same grave........................Cat:)

Just a note ...I remembered that a few years ago we asked the staff at Witton Cemetery about the cost of opening a grave to add an extra burial.
I remembered being discouraged because the cost is rather high for reopening a grave.

there are rules and regulations about ownership of graves, depending on when the plot was purchased. this you would have to check out, some plots are classed as Inperpetu-um (forever) and others revert back to council after a certain period.
I was told this when making enquiries about a family grave at Handsworth cemetery, if it is classed as Inperpetu-um the next of kin takes over as the owner.

I've one purchased by my Grandmother three and she and Grandfather are buried there in Witton.:)

re graves

I dug them for 2,for thee was very deap, the cofins are quit.e high when on top of each other,now the hole is dug and bricked up,and a lid of stone paced then bricked up again waiting for next poor sole,to stop contamination and stink.and ground polution.to exume some one and make the grave deeper would cost a bomb,to put 2in there,that is if you get permision to do so,The very small graves upset me you know.what i meen
god bless them,and there families. pete:cry:

I have a family grave at Key Hill cemetery which contains 10 people, the grave is also brick lined. The first burial was in 1867 the last in 1918. It actually states on the burial register at what depth the person should be buried. There is also a Thomas Smith from Ickneild Street buried in the grave for which I can find no connection to my family. Perhaps they felt sorry for him........who knows!

If you get to visit the office at Witton Cemetery I have found them most helpful; if you provide a fairly accurate date of death and the name they will give you a location.

Wow - Thank you everyone for your super replies. I sat and read through them all and they are fascinating and extremely helpful. I never knew about the graves being brick up with a lid of stone and it's very interesting to hear about that and also how many people can be buried in one grave. Plus the info on plots that are Inperpetu-um - I think I still have quite a lot to learn for the family tree :)

I rang Witton Cemetery today and they explained the Grant Number to me and that copies of the deeds weren't kept so I won't be able to go any further with the Grant Number. They have been kind enough to tell me where in Witton my g-grandfather is buried so I am really looking forward to taking a trip over there to take a look (might see if I can persuade hubby to drive me there this weekend :)).

They also said it would cost £18 if I wanted to investigate further but I will wait a while before doing that and see what else I can find along the way. I also gave the Crematorium at Walsall Rd a call and they are kindly looking to see if g-gran was cremated there.

Thank you once again everyone for all your help - it's much appreciated and very helpful.

I am so pleased you have got the information Tanya. Is there a headstone on the grave they sometimes hold wonderful information. Have you got the death certificate as this will give you an address and often the informant was a family member. Don't froget to bring your camera when you vist.

Tanya the people at Witton are well known for the help they give, 5 of my family are buried there Mom & Dad in the 1980s, I made a couple of inquiries when I started my Family History and couldn't praise them enough so all I can wish you now is every success in the future Good Luck:)

Tanya,

Pleased you are making progress. Witton is a large and well kept cemetery but not all graves have headstones; Most likely that won't be the case but have it at the back of your mind so you won't be too disappointed......
Good luck

Steve

Here is a map of Witton cemetery to give you an idea of size. As Steve has said prepare yourself as there maybe no headstone. Also some areas have been built up with tons of soil for new burials, so it does happen sometimes that another grave can be on top. This can be a bit of a shock if you don't know. Good luck:)

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before but I was talking to a friend of mine in Erdington by phone the other day about Witton Cemetery. She is getting up in age and is unable to bend down to tend her Mother's grave anymore. Also, she didn't feel safe anymore going there alone since there have been purse snatchings of late. All this worried her a great deal since she and her Mother were very close. My friend is now receiving the services of a group of people who for a small fee will tend the graves you usually visit.
I think they are called Friends of Witton Cemetery, someone else may know about them. My friend is very happy about this service because she and her husband can drive to to her Mom's grave and see that it is cared for.

jennyann I do know of 'the Friends of Witton Cemetery' but I didn't know they offered this service what a brilliant idea. It keeps the cemetery looking good and helps people.........they should be applauded for such an excellent idea.

Jewish Cemetery At Witton

Does Anyone Know If There Are Any Lists Available Of Burials In The Jewish Cemetary At Witton? I Am Tracing Ancestry On My Fathers Side And Any Information Would Be Gratefully Received.

There is a book in the office, I was allowed to look through it when looking for the death of a friends relative. The staff were very helpful.

Back