• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Winson Green prison

ADELE

master brummie
Hi
had a relative in prision at Winston Green Prison in 1911, can anyone tell me if I could get his records to see what he had done. He was from Aston and up till that point had a good buisness in the area.
Im researching the family at Birmingham Central Library would they hold these records
Adele

Re: Winston green prison

hi carolina
you will find ledgers in the central libary on old cases and it should be in the courts crimmls
and classifyed in volumes of ledgers for around that period it gives time sentenced and for what crimes and sentenced by whom
and its every chance it was given by one of the cadbury family whom was the big key players in this city around that period i think
best wishes astonian

A colleague at H M P Birmingham - Winson green Nick to us has sent me a pdf file they have found in the archives there about the history of the place.

How do I attach a 23 page pdf file?

Help please as it's worth a look!

Cheers

Brian

Brian thank you so much for sharing the document about Winson Green Prison, it's absolutely fascinating. Having recently seen the film Pierpoint about the famous executioner I found it very interesting. The history of the prison, names of those executed and personal accounts of flogging. A bit harrowing at times but such a great piece of history

Brian , Thank you so much for enabling me to see that ,I was able to download it on Foxit .com I knew than an uncle of mine had been hung. but no details, he was on the list, His name was William Arther Butler, Does anyone know where I could find details of his crime.?

Jean.

Brian , Thank you so much for enabling me to see that ,I was able to download it on Foxit .com I knew than an uncle of mine had been hung. but no details, he was on the list, His name was William Arther Butler, Does anyone know where I could find details of his crime.?

Jean.

Jean
Do you mean William ALLEN Butler instead of William Arthur Butler? as I could only see William Allen Butler on the list. If we are talking about William Allen Butler I have 2 newspaper articles which tell of his crime.

Brian
Thanks so much for this great piece of history:)

Suzanne

Yes Suzanne,t was William Alian Butler, Would it be possible for you to let me have the details , Thank you very much for your help.

Jean.

Brian,
I have just stumbled upon your post about the archive file on Winson green prison. Did you get around to attaching the file? I am researching a couple of ancestors who were guests there, and i'd love to read about the history of the place.If you can't upload it here, could you send it as a attachment to an e mail if i pm you my address? Look forward to hearing from you
Eddie

Unsure if Wendy & co ever got it onto the Forum
I'm happy to email it to anyone as soon as I can track it within my Computer!

PS what knights are you researching?
Have you a Walter Edwin Knight b1890, d 26/08/1918 commemorated on wall in Aston Parish Church?

Brian

Jean.
Just noticed this thread. There is a book called something like Hangings at Winson Green. I borrowed it from Birmingham Library some time ago. Have also seen it on sale at a well known supermarket in Perry Barr. don't know for sure if it mentions William Allen Butler. but worth a look.
Tess

Hi I'm trying to find out some history on Winson Green Prison for my Uncle, He would like to know when the prison no longer had female inmates. His mother was a worked there when there was female prisoners; then stopped when there was no longer female prisoner, so we are trying to work out the year? If anyone could help with this information we would be most grateful. We are doing a family tree

Thanks Lynn

Hi Lynn
I have reason to believe it was 1962 and it was a new block they built there in the late fifths when walking pass you can see the big white building
As you walk pass by the front wall by the canal side and the purpose for this building to be built was to save on expenses
For what was an expensive trip every night from Birmingham courts for transporting females to the jam factory namely Holloway prison
For remands possibly over night stays for courts other wise they go there tonight and fetch them back next day from Holloway prison
Which proved to be expensive some would spend a couple of days or weeks there to serve a prison sentence
But that was the object in building a holding unit for lady,s of the night after this period it stopped because of the male population in there
Over crowding I think it was around that time of sixty one it was reported that the Winston green prison in the evening mail
That the prison was busting at the seams and it would close or build the extent ion to care for these guys there was a written report done on
It and it was reporting in the Birmingham mail also may I had when joined this forum we done a thread on this prison and the hanging
Of people whom was hang there and the named last person whom was hunged. There
And our Maggie from brooki
Also put an input on the prison and. Her father was a prison officer whom. Work. There. As well before he died years before it was built
Best wishes astonian. Alan,,,,,,,

I too have an interest in William Allen Butler. My family history research has discovered that he was hung at Winson Geen Prison in August 1916 for the murder of Florence Beatrice Butler (no relation). Florence was my husband's great aunt. She lived with her mother, Julia Frances Griffiths and step father, William Griffiths at 2 Bath Terrace, close to Broad street with her 2 children. I am still researching this part of the family, so any information, photos etc always welcome,
Christine

Here are some newspaper reports about William Allen Butler from the Times:
1st August 1916
16th August 1916
17th August 1916

One of them states that Florence Beatrice Butler was his wife and that he murdered her on 20th May.

Attachments

• butler_1_august_1916.JPG
    butler_1_august_1916.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 43
  • butler_16_august_1916.JPG
    butler_16_august_1916.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 41
  • butler_17_august_1916.JPG
    butler_17_august_1916.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 38
Here is an article from the Times Monday 22nd May 1916 - it says that a man walked into Ladywood police station on Saturday night and stated that he had stabbed his wife.
No names are mentioned but the dates are correct for the murder of Florence Beatrice Butler (saturday would have been the 20th)

Attachments

• butler_monday_may_22_1916.JPG
    butler_monday_may_22_1916.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 30
Here is an article from the Times Monday 22nd May 1916 - it says that a man walked into Ladywood police station on Saturday night and stated that he had stabbed his wife.
No names are mentioned but the dates are correct for the murder of Florence Beatrice Butler (saturday would have been the 20th)

Hi Pollypops,
Thank you for your input, you are correct about the date of the murder and that he did give himself up but unfortunately this seems to be a case of press mis-reporting about their marital status. I spent a very fruitful day at the Archive at Birmingham Library last Friday and have read the coroners report, pathologist report and all the statements of the witnesses and police involved as well as many of the newspaper reports of the time. Although they share the same surname, they were not married. Florence was married to Thomas George Butler, although had been separated from him for a few years. William Allen Butler had been a lodger at her mother's house - 2 Bath Terrace, Bath Row for 10 months and had been 'stepping out' with Florence for 4 months.
The murder was witnessed by her daughter and son. The hanging was on August 16th 1916, following a rejected appeal.
I am really interested in the court in which they all lived which I assume was a back to back. I am scanning through all the photographs on this forum but so far no luck, so any additional knowledge of the housing conditions would help me complete the picture.
Following the murder of her mother, the daughter, Nellie was admitted to Middlemore home for girls and was emigrated to Canada in 1919. I am still following this line of research as I believe ( by looking at the electoral rolls) that Nellie returned to Birmingham some years later. Again - I am interested in any further information.

Hi pollipops
Way back in the seventys we had a. Neibour whom done the ex act thing he stabbed her to death covered in blood and walked to acocks green police station
And told them the same I have killed my wife this was in speed well road hay mills in the seventys
His name was abicoy he was an African and so was his wife they had little children no more than seven years of age
He got life for what they demean life today I do not know it holds of interments
Best wishes Alan,, astonian,,,

Hi Crishatpro
There are not many terraces off Bath Row. I cannot find referenc eto one there with exactly that name, but there is a Bath Row Terrace, and I think it likely that the name has been shortened. I attach a large scale map c 1889 showing Bath Row Terrace in red,with a 2 over no 2 Bath Row Terrace. Also a smaller scale map showinithe position of the terrace. I think you will be pretty lucky to find a photo of the terrace, but you never know. The terrace was still in existence in the late 1940s-early 1950s, sp it is possible that one might be in existence, so worth trying anyway.

map_c_1889_showing_bath_row_terrace.jpg

map_c_1917_showing_Bath_Row_Terrace.jpg

William Brown_v1.jpg
An evil prison administrator cruelly abuses the inmates at Winson Green Prison, until one day the tables are turned. In 1852 Lieutenant Austin was appointed governor at Winson Green Prison. He was a navy man with a cruel streak. He put the prisoners through hell and some committed suicide. William Brown saw this while working at the prison and tried to help some of the prisoners. William Brown was eventually appointed governor and Austin was sent to prison for his crimes. William Brown is buried in Key Hill Cemetery the memorial paid for by thankful local people. William Brown was immortalised in a novel by Charles Reads. 'It's Never To Late To Mend'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a relative - Henry Stansby (variations are Stansbie and Stansbury) who is recorded as being in Winson Green Prison in 1881. his employment was given as bricklayer's labourer and age as 18 in the census entry. He was born 3 December 1863 in Birmingham and died in 1895.

Any advice on where to find out why he was in prison, when he was sent there and when released would be appreciated and I have tried searching press reports without success.

He later married an Alice Maud Brooke in March 1891.

Her Majesty`s Prison Birmingham, (to give it its official name,) but more commonly known as Winson Green, or the `Green,` was built as a replacement for the Moor Street Goal which had become wholly inadequate given the rise in crime and imprisonment of felons. The prison was built by the Birmingham architect, D. R. Hill following a Gothic design and was originally designed to hold 336 prisoners, a figure that was increased to 612 by 1885. With an initial estimate of costing some £51,447, this was eventually to rise to almost £90,000. Work began on October 29th 1845 with the Mayor of Birmingham. Thomas Phillips, laying the foundation stone. It opened for `business` on October 17th 1849 with the first prisoner entering through its portals two days later. The entrance was built to look like an imposing medieval castle`s gatehouse.

Unfortunately, its authority and reputation got off to an embarrassingly bad start for the first governor, Captain Alexander Maconochie, was said to be unequal to the task and was dismissed following complaints of a lack of discipline from his staff. In fact, Maconochie, who believed in penal reform and the dignified and respectful treatment of all prisoners, was attempting to introduce a system of merit, albeit for those under the age of sixteen in which the prisoners were awarded points for good behaviour and which would serve as a guide to who could and should be released and when. Maconochie`s philosophy was, "cruelty debases both the victim and the society inflicting it and that punishment for crime should not be vindictive but should be designed to strengthen a prisoner`s desire and capacity to observe social constraints." Sadly such a liberal and forward thinking approach to the rehabilitation of prisoners did not sit well with the Home Office, his deputy governor, Lt Austin and Birmingham`s local magistrates and he was (unjustly) dismissed in July 1851. Amongst the reasons cited were incapacity to carry out his duties through his advanced age, laxness of discipline and the dirty state of the prison!

The second governor was an ex-naval Lieutenant called William Austin, who had served 25 years in the Royal Navy and was, without doubt, a vicious sadist. So brutal was his treatment of Winson Green`s inmates to become, that the prison became notorious for barbarity and callousness and its reputation as a fearsome place of punishment and pain spread beyond its walls. Austin, who had previously worked at London`s Tothill Fields prison, was determined to run his new appointment as tightly disciplined as any Royal Navy man-of-war and his guards appear to have been just as eager to enforce his inhumane policies. One description of Austin records that `his appetite for punishing such breaches of what he calls discipline is insatiable.` So severe was Austin`s conduct, and that of his staff, who, for the most part, were willing accomplices in his regime, that in the first sixteen months of his regime there were at least 15 attempts at suicide by inmates. Three of these, all of them barely boys, were successful. One of them, Edward Andrews was only 15 years old when he hanged himself in his cell on 7th April 1854. The unbelievably cruel and shameful treatment of Andrews would bring to an end the sadistic rule of Austin and his staff.

On March 28th 1853, Andrews had been sentenced to three months imprisonment for stealing a piece of beef weighing 4lbs. This was Andrew`s third term of imprisonment. Previously he had been sentenced to one week’s incarceration for throwing stones in the street and a month for stealing vegetables or fruit from a garden. By the second day of his sentence, he was put to work at “the crank”. The crank consisted of spinning a wooden wheel by a turning a handle, which weighed 10lb, a set number of times each day. It had no other intention than to break the will of the prisoner and make him obedient and compliant to the prison`s rules. Andrews had to turn the crank a minimum of 2000 revolutions before he could have breakfast, 4000 times before he could have dinner and further 4000 turns before he could partake of his supper. Failure to complete the task meant the loss of the meal. Andrews was a palpably weak lad and failed on many occasions to meet the required number of turns. With the loss of his meagre rations, he naturally became weaker and so less able to complete the cycle of cranks. Anyone with an ounce of sense could see that to continue the punishment was going to result in the lad`s death.

Despite this, Austin and his staff, including Blount, the prison doctor, were merciless in their relentless prosecution, or rather, persecution of Andrews who now began to display a defiance born of desperation. He began to berate and shout abuse at the staff. For this breach of discipline, he was strapped to the wall of his cell in a tight leather jacket, his feet being the only parts of his body he could move, and which barely touched the floor. This jacket, designed by a henchman of Austin`s called Freer had a thirteen and a half inch collar, three and a half inches deep and a quarter inch thick. So tightly was the jacket strapped that a finger could not be placed between the jacket and the skin while the collar cut the flesh on the chin and back of the neck. In this position, the poor boy could not move his head. He was then left to hang for up to thirteen hours, from 9.00 am to 10.00 pm. If he wanted feeding, a warder would attempt to pass water between his lips along with a little moist bread, however most of the time Andrews was unable to swallow the food. If he seemed to fall into insensibility, the warders would throw water over him to bring him back to consciousness and he was left to hang in his saturated clothing. When the first opportunity arose, Andrews found release from his agony by hanging himself from the bars of his cell window, using his handkerchief and the ropes of his hammock. It had taken Austin and his staff just two weeks to break a boy’s will so severely that it caused him to take his own life!

Such torturous and barbaric behaviour could not for long be kept quiet and soon the Home Office was receiving disturbing reports about the activities and happenings at Her Majesty`s Prison, Birmingham. Eventually a member of the staff, William Brown, wracked by conscience and disgust, wrote to the Home Office of the horrors he had witnessed. Such was the regime`s disrepute that an official Home Office inquiry, a Royal Commission no less, was established questioning past and present staff and inmates as to what had gone on behind Winson Green`s walls. The Commission sat for 13 days and listened to the evidence of 64 witnesses.

At the end of the inquiry it reported that Austin`s punishments were, "not only utterly illegal, but most objectionable from its painful, cruel and exasperating character, which he practised with a frequency distressing to hear of for offences too trivial to call for any severity of punishment at all upon offenders quite unfit to be subjected to it." So shocking was the resulting report that Austin, realising that he had gone too far, quickly resigned his position in order to escape the consequences of his behaviour. His belated, empty and cowardly gesture did not save him from justice, and he was arrested on charges of inhuman treatment and also, incredibly, for a crime that the Home Office considered far more serious, bad bookkeeping! Such was the level of cruelty that permeated the prison`s staff that even the prison`s own surgeon, Dr Blount was found guilty of abuse.

Austin and Blount, who the court was told had ordered one prisoner, Samuel Hunt to have his mouth filled with salt, were tried at Warwick assizes, convicted and sentenced to three months imprisonment in its goal. It was deemed prudent that for their own safety it was best for them not to serve their sentence in their former place of employment. Despite their conviction, there is some doubt as to whether Austin and Blount actually ever served their sentences.

(I am currently researching the history of execution in Birmingham and I am looking for any information that may be available regarding the execution shed that was situated in the yard of Winson Green prison and the condemned cell and execution chamber when it was moved onto `A` wing. If anybody has a description or any anecdotes regarding these I would be most grateful to hear them. Many thanks.)

Hi Liam, I have been researching the hanging of William Quayle in 1943, my Great Aunt was a witness and I wondered if any court papers were available. The file from Brian may enlighten us.
Maxine

Hi Maxine,

I`ve been researching on and off for the last 18 months the executions that took place at Winson Green but have been able to discover little information on the actual gallows and condemned cell that were used there. Hopefully there may be some useful information in the files that Brian has.

The court records for the trial and execution of William Quayle can be found in the National Archives, file reference: `ASSI 13-73 Quayle.`

This is the website link that will take you to their location: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7157697.

They are now a matter of public record and can be copied and sent to you for a fee. The NA will give you a quote as to how much this will cost, the fee depending on the number of documents you want.

If I can help in any way re: William Quayle, please don`t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Liam.

Thank you Liam, that's great, I'll have a look at the website. I can't believe how quickly my post was answered! I'll be in touch if I need any help.
Regards
Maxine

Hi, I`ve just been doing some research into my Great Great Grand father and for ages couldnt find him on the 1891 Census, I have just found a James kelly as a Prisoner ( widowed) which ties in with other info but I cant seem to see what he was in for, he was a Brick Layers Labourer and was born in 1846, can any one help please as dont know where to look. Thanks. Regards Julie.

Attachments

• James Kelly 1891 Census.jpg
    James Kelly 1891 Census.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 18
  • James kelly 1891 Census 2.jpg
    James kelly 1891 Census 2.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 17
i think ancestry may have some prison records but cant be certain...maybe other members can advise you

lyn

Findmypast has court records.

There might be a newspaper clipping 19 Jun 1886 - James Kelly, Bricklayer's Labourer, 6 court, 6 house Treat St - charges with violently assaulting his wife. That's on findmypast but can't see any more.

Hello Julie,

Following on from our previous private discussion, I've attached the Prison Admissions for what I have found so far. The main crime in 1888 was for the possession of counterfeit coins for which he got 6 years. Previously he received 2 months hard labour for Larceny on 6 January 1882, and shortly afterwards on 12 April 1882 for Larceny again 8 months with 2 years during which he was under Licence not to commit furth crime. Between 1881 and 1891 there are 42 entries for a James Kelly, but only those that I have mentioned in Birmingham. So he may well have committed further crimes elsewhere, I can't be sure as no date of birth or address is given,.

Furthermore, nowhere can I find a newpaper report of his major crime. Keep looking back and I will do some further digging tomorrow.

Maurice :)

Attachments

• TNA_CCC_HO27_193_00173.jpg
    TNA_CCC_HO27_193_00173.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 21
Back