• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

I have used Picasa before but with Win10 I have it set to only scan a very limited area on my laptops and never directories which might contain up-to-date family pics. I work on the assumption that any photo I put on the internet could be copied and most web based pics will be harvested by Google, they even collect BHF avatars. I never put up-to-date family pics on the internet.

I have found that 'TWINUI' is 'Tablet Windows User Interface' and why Microsoft put it in my old laptop could be something to do with the fact that I use it with dual screen output - the laptop screen is broken. TWINUI cannot be uninstalled but a registry change has all but killed it off, but no doubt a future Win10 update might change it back.

Picasa Folder Manager
picasasettings.JPG
With the above settings Picasa can only find 10 pics in my laptop.

Last edited:
I thought Lightroom came with some versions of Adobe Suite so if you've got Lightroom you should also have Bridge which will do the sorting and display without having to worry about it moving things.
Zoner is an equivalent of Picasa although it doesn't have Facial Recognition or mapping that I could get to work. You get the program as a free download and after a period as a trial it loses some of its functions (if you want to scan all of your pictures for keywords, you need to do it in the first few weeks) but it retains the image display, editing, keywording and keyword search after that. The only reason I gave up on it was I was transferred to a new PC and it had Bridge and the full Adobe suite so it wasn't needed.

I've not used Lightroom for a couple years, Wam, I still prefer Photo Impact X3 out of all of them and, of course, it is the one I am most familiar with. I also write plain HTML and CSS rather than use anu of the programs like Dreamweaver, etc. I guess too many years of working in DOS have rubbed off!

Maurice

Recently downloaded Piccasa, could not understand it (lack of IT knowhow on my part) so deleted it, the only software I have downloaded as a Photo aid is 'photo gallery' which I DO understand and like very much. Why are all the downloads so complex, we are not all high tech genius's. I consider myself of average intelligence and have no problems with cell phones, digital cameras, DVD recorders etc.... no doubt there are numerous functions on my new Acer PC which I am not aware of (no instruction book provided) which might be of use, assuming I could understand them !!!! I was a telephone engineer for 33 years maintaining complex automatic telephone systems at large customers premises so am not devoid of technical knowhow, admitted it was Strowger electro-mechanical and mostly before the computer age (1956 till 1989) I recently had to pay an engineer to show me how to RIP and BURN cd's/dvd,s on the new windows 10, no problem at all on windows 7. Rant over. Eric

Last edited:
The computer age began long before most people realise. In the year I was born, 1957, IBM sponsored a movie in the vain hope of promoting its wares. Unfortunately the movie was a romantic comedy with Spencer Tracy as the computer programmer/installer and Katherine Hepburn as the prime user. The computer didn't come out of it well and was replaced by disco floor lights and some people throwing punch cards about. Not Hepburn & Tracy's finest hour but it was in colour for a change.

The computer age began long before most people realise. In the year I was born, 1957, IBM sponsored a movie in the vain hope of promoting its wares....

I worked for IBM for 30 years but had never heard of this film.

Just looked it up and it was called Desk Set.

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/ibm-sponsored-a-major-hollywood-movie-about-computers-i-1525437260

Of course computers had been going for a few years before 1957, though most of them were HUGE boxes shut away in "secret" rooms where the public never went and few people ever actually SAW a computer.

In fact the first time most people ever even used a computer was when they used a bank "hole in the wall" machine to take money out or to check their balance.

Nowadays most of us have a computer (smartphone) on us all the time.

How times change.

Recently downloaded Piccasa, could not understand it (lack of IT knowhow on my part) so deleted it, the only software I have downloaded as a Photo aid is 'photo gallery' which I DO understand and like very much. Why are all the downloads so complex, we are not all high tech genius's. I consider myself of average intelligence and have no problems with cell phones, digital cameras, DVD recorders etc.... no doubt there are numerous functions on my new Acer PC which I am not aware of (no instruction book provided) which might be of use, assuming I could understand them !!!! I was a telephone engineer for 33 years maintaining complex automatic telephone systems at large customers premises so am not devoid of technical knowhow, admitted it was Strowger electro-mechanical and mostly before the computer age (1956 till 1989) I recently had to pay an engineer to show me how to RIP and BURN cd's/dvd,s on the new windows 10, no problem at all on windows 7. Rant over. Eric

Eric, you are not alone struggling with modern technology. A few weeks ago i dropped & broke my cheap old mobile & decided to buy a "smarphone" Most of it was gobbledegook & i struggled for ages putting all the old phone numbers in, and when i received my first call I hadn`t a clue what to press to answer it. Like most new gadgets it takes time & mistakes before you get comfortable. My new car, a Ford Focus diesel, has loads of buttons & sub menu`s, a built-in sat nav which has voice control & my wife likes it, but i have to admit i feel a little daft putting on a posh voice when i`m giving it instructions. I don`t think it would work with a Brummy or Geordie accent!!

If your smartphone is an Android phone then you can set it to run in "Easy Mode"

This reduces the number of options, increases the size of the icons, and makes it easier to use for a first time smartphone users.

My son is disabled and we have his phone set as Easy Mode and he is fine with it.

You can take it out of Easy Mode and back to normal mode very easily.

thanks for that info guilbert...a few weeks back i had an andtroid phone..first time ive ever had one of these swipe phones and it took some getting used to...think i only cut off about a dozen callers by mistake lol

lyn

Smudger, my Mobile Phone is very basic with large buttons called 'ON DIAL, designed for 'senior citizens' had it all sussed out within a couple of days, my car a basic Rover 25, no sat-nav much prefer a good old Atlas, I like things simple, logical and straight forward all these gadgets and add ons only complicates life. Incidently life seemed go on before mobile phones and, dare I say it, computers. Eric

I don't like mobile phones and hated it at work when I used to have to carry one. I remember in the early days when I had one the size of a car battery and later when they downsized it to the size of a house brick even when they got them down to the size that fitted in your pocket. I hated the fact that you could be contacted anywhere. Now I've retired I do own a very cheap basic phone that I only take on long journeys by car for emergencies. I have no idea what sort it is but my son tells me it is called an old f*rts phone.

Phil, you seem to have the same sort as me (lol). Mine is purely for emergencies, calling AA if car breaks down and calling for help if I break down when walking my dog down by the river or in the woods. Eric

I use a cheap 'clamshell' type mobile with buttons but it does sync with my car and lets me make completely hands-free calls.

As I was posting this a Windows 10 cumulative update KB3116908 landed in my laptop and I am now on build 10586.17. This time last week I was on 10586.3 - things move fast in Win 10.

Haven't switched my mobile on for over a month,I take it with me when I go out, even then it's not switched on, some people seem to live on them, everywhere you go you see folks engrossed in them, what sad sickos.

Surprised last night, when updating W 8.1, to be presented with the install W 10 option especially as I've been trying to install since the free update was offered. Previously reached the restart to download W 10 but nothing happened when restarted, this time it did and now running W 10.

If your smartphone is an Android phone then you can set it to run in "Easy Mode"

This reduces the number of options, increases the size of the icons, and makes it easier to use for a first time smartphone users.

My son is disabled and we have his phone set as Easy Mode and he is fine with it.

You can take it out of Easy Mode and back to normal mode very easily.

Thanks for the info guilbert, i will certainly give that a try. I bought this phone because it`s dual sim & i can now use 3 network & Vodaphone. 3 network doesn`t work where i live so i can now use Vodaphone which does work here. On holiday i south Wales last year vodaphone couldn`t get a signal, so i`m hoping 3 will work there! Smudger

If you are considering a dual sim I would recommend looking at the Microsoft range. I just bought the 630 and find it superb. I can now receive calls from UK contacts and Spanish numbers on same phone. Good camera and one of the best steps forward I have come across for years, ONEDRIVE. This mean I can take pictures and create documents etc on the phone and automatically transfer to my laptop.

I couldn`t find "set to easy mode" on my phone, so i downloaded the "big launcher" app & that seems ok with it`s big icons & seems easy to use. Time will tell. I wish i could download an app to stop this awful wind trying to blow down my fence!!

There are free OneDrive apps for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. A pic taken with my iPad appears in my laptop within seconds and if I move a pic into OneDrive on my laptop it almost instantly appears in my iPad. Because OneDrive is integrated with Windows it is easy to drag images etc in and out of it.

Has anyone found a way to automatically update onedrive i.e. if I update a spreadsheet in my personal folder on my laptop is there a way to update it on one drive?

The Big Launcher app for android smartphones is free & it`s excellent. Makes a complicated (for me ) smartphone, into a very easy to use simple (but still smart ) phone, & it`s got big icons & text. Smartphone for dummies like me!!

Has anyone found a way to automatically update onedrive i.e. if I update a spreadsheet in my personal folder on my laptop is there a way to update it on one drive?
I think you need to have the file in OneDrive and work on it there and it will appear on any device from which you can see OneDrive.

A big W10 update which required a restart came in yesterday 4th Dec and incorrectly changed some user settings to system defaults. A quiet little update today has restored them.

Don't Run Without Anti Virus ...
I had upgraded my 9 year old Win 7 desktop computer with a clean install of Windows 10 and it ran faster than I had ever seen it, just like it was brand new.

I then installed my Norton Security but it was incompatible with the graphics card and caused display problems so I had to temporarily uninstall Norton to find and install a Norton Windows 10 screen fix while relying on Windows Defender for protection. I then made the mistake of searching for the fix from the Edge Browser Bing search instead of my usual practice of typing directly into the address bar. In a flash something called 'BubbleDock' invaded the computer and was very intrusive defeating all normal attempts to remove it and 'Windows Defender' had not even noticed it !

I then downloaded and installed 'Malwarebytes' (using the address bar) and it found 1617 threats as shown in the image below. I then used the Norton screen fix before installing Norton which found more junk.

By this time I was not convinced that the computer was free of malware so I went into Win 10 settings and used a very nice Win 10 feature which easily installs a fresh copy of Windows while keeping files and photos but removing programs and apps thus totally removing anything the malware might have hidden in the computer. It took about 30 minutes after which it presented a list of apps etc it had removed with links to obtain the apps. I reinstalled Norton and all was well.

Good work from Malwarebytes ...

Attachments

• threats.JPG
    threats.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hi Oldmohawk,
don't be to concerned over the bubble dock problem, it is more of an annoyance than anything else, glad you have done a clean install that is the most positive way to get rid. This bubble dock doesn't just install itself, you may have been on a sight and unwittingly clicked on an item that was sponsoring bubble dock unfortunately you have to read all the small print before you click on anything these days. It was my experience that not even one of the branded well known antivirus programmes I had installed stopped it installing, it buries itself way down in the depths of the computer. Malwarebytes found a lot of it but even that missed some of it. Because I didn't to want reinstall everything, what I did in the end to get rid of it was I used a free copy of REGISTRAR REGISTRY MANAGER and / or REGISTRY WORKSHOP and they searched the registry for the hidden items and having found them I deleted them all and restored the status quo. As Shaw Taylor used to say the best way to avoid the problem is to "KEEP EM' PEELED"

Hi Chris - Apparently Microsoft had acknowledged a problem with some malware getting through Edge and supposedly eliminated it with a recently issued update KB3135173. I was only using Edge to download Chrome into my newly refreshed Windows 10. I like the very simple method Win 10 uses to reinstall Windows. It used to be quite an involved procedure but now is just a few clicks in settings. My Norton is now running ok in Win 10 after the screen fix on the Nvidia graphics card.

Also,If I install any programs I only ever do a custom install, and not the recommended install. that way you can see what the program is trying to install.To the uninitiated it may seem complicated, but its not, usually just a matter of removing ticks.

I think one problem for people upgrading to Windows 10 using the 'keep all existing apps and files method' is if they are using Internet Explorer before they upgrade, they find that IE appears to have disappeared in Win 10 and they are presented with Microsoft's new browser EDGE. They therefore have a new unfamiliar browser to try at the same time as having to find their way around Windows 10.

If they were using a 'non Microsoft browser' such as Chrome, Opera, Firefox, etc they show up in Win 10 complete with bookmarks etc. My experience is that IE does not migrate to Win 10 with it's bookmarks (favourites) and appears to have gone. IE is however there but has to be searched for and started in the All apps list.

Back