• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilton Street Lozells

During the 1970's I lived in Wilton Street, Lozells. We lived at 238, next door to Lil and Ron Hardy. I remember playing in the play area we all knew as 'the dragon', in Bennett Street. It was a solid stone dragon shaped thing, we would climb on, slide down, crawl through and hide in. There were iron climbing frames we would make our dens in or do gambols over. There was none of that soft tar to stop us cutting our heads open (happened to me once or twice). Then there was the waste ground we knew as 'the bomb peck', just behind St Pauls Church, on the Lozells Road. I would love to see pictures of the dragon, its all grassed now. When it was raining, we would hang out in the entry's of the houses in Chain Walk. There was also a little shop at the end of Wilton Street, I think it was called Pendry's. Anyone remember those days?
Ron and Lil were my uncle and aunt we visited most weekends x

I lived at 44 Wilton Street directly opposite Mr Syners shop. Left in 1967.
My Nan and grandad lived at number 53 Wilton street from early 1900s they were Bill and Lily Hill. They had 6 children Lillian, June (my mom), Bill, Sheila, Sylvia and Brian. I was born there in 1953 (June’s daughter). My Nan and grandad left in 1967 moving to Kingstanding.

My Nan and grandad lived at number 53 Wilton street from early 1900s they were Bill and Lily Hill. They had 6 children Lillian, June (my mom), Bill, Sheila, Sylvia and Brian. I was born there in 1953 (June’s daughter). My Nan and grandad left in 1967 moving to Kingstanding.
Map showing No. 53 (1950)

Attachments

• 53-Wilton-St.jpg
    53-Wilton-St.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 14
Aerial view from 1950 showing no. 53, I think it was the 3 storey building.

Attachments

• wilton-st-aerial.jpg
    wilton-st-aerial.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 18
I can remember Syners shop. We were always going there for our Nan. I remember the scales, a brass dish for the weights on one side and a piece of circular marble on the other side for the food you were having weighed. If you were buying sausage Mr Syner used to cut a bit extra that he ate raw!

I was born in 107 Wilton Street in 1944......I tried to find Wilton Street a few years ago but I couldnt identify it except that it seemed to have been turned into a new housing estate. I must go on another pilgrimage soon and try to find the old Wilton Street.

I was born in 107 Wilton Street in 1944......I tried to find Wilton Street a few years ago but I couldnt identify it except that it seemed to have been turned into a new housing estate. I must go on another pilgrimage soon and try to find the old Wilton Street.
the bottom end of wilton st no longer exists..new housing there now...the top half of the street is now called gunmakers walk....again all the old houses demolished....street view below

lyn

the bottom end of wilton st no longer exists..new housing there now...the top half of the street is now called gunmakers walk....again all the old houses demolished....street view below

lyn

Lyn, I'm assuming the Gunmakers Arms is closed since its all boarded up?

lyn

Thank you Lyn for your reply.....that explians why I couldn't find anything other than new housing......things do move on but it is quite sad really......I moved to Harborne when I was 5 and still live there but will never forget Wilton Street. But its all in the past now, many thanks Eileen

I don't really know but I find it quite sad...............I moved to Harborne when I was 5 years old and still live in Harborne now. But I still wanted to chase down the memories of where I grew up and I couldn't find them....x

I see you moved to the USA Richard, a little bit further away than me then...????
Yes I move here when I was 19. Was born in Aston and grew up in Handsworth. We had nothing and we’re going know where. I have been blessed to travel all over the world with my work and love where we live.
I still love Birmingham, it gave me my start and my base. I remember the good times and try to forget the bad. Having said that we are planning a trip so that I can try to find where my roots are!

During the 1970's I lived in Wilton Street, Lozells. We lived at 238, next door to Lil and Ron Hardy. I remember playing in the play area we all knew as 'the dragon', in Bennett Street. It was a solid stone dragon shaped thing, we would climb on, slide down, crawl through and hide in. There were iron climbing frames we would make our dens in or do gambols over. There was none of that soft tar to stop us cutting our heads open (happened to me once or twice). Then there was the waste ground we knew as 'the bomb peck', just behind St Pauls Church, on the Lozells Road. I would love to see pictures of the dragon, its all grassed now. When it was raining, we would hang out in the entry's of the houses in Chain Walk. There was also a little shop at the end of Wilton Street, I think it was called Pendry's. Anyone remember those days?

Attachments

• 4FECF203-B651-4CAD-B3BC-3A9C12D7A6E6.jpeg
    4FECF203-B651-4CAD-B3BC-3A9C12D7A6E6.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 14
  • D9360879-10EB-49BB-BA0D-2553E381F527.jpeg
    D9360879-10EB-49BB-BA0D-2553E381F527.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 16
Hi, I am looking for any information/memories/photos of Wilton Street. My husbands mother [whom he never knew] grew up in Wilton Street. The family name was Smith and they lived at number 2 back of 181 from at least 1911 until at least 1955. There were at least 12 children. Many thanks.

I see that one of the requests was old but I lived at 1/17 Wilton Street, which was at the bottom. It was a long street and I'll have to check the names of other streets nearby. (See how good my memory is)

It's a long time ago but I went to the Farm Street school and am sure I spent a year at one which was connected to St Paul's Church (?) We moved from Wilton Street in 1958 and came to Australia in 1965

It's a long time ago but I went to the Farm Street school and am sure I spent a year at one which was connected to St Paul's Church (?) We moved from Wilton Street in 1958 and came to Australia in 1965
if you use the search box we have a thread for farm street school which i also attended

lyn

I've just looked up Wilton St B19 in an old six shillings A-Z, then it was a much longer street then it is today.

Nick Phillips
yes thats right nick...it started at lozells road and ran down to the end of burbury st park...

lyn

yes thats right nick...it started at lozells road and ran down to the end of burbury st park...

lyn
Lyn, I've said before how much I appreciate the work you and other staff do.

I enjoy looking at other peoples interest it shows how the City changes over the years.

I think its positive if members can also have a little input.

Thank you
Nick Phillips

Back