• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilton Street Lozells

During the 1970's I lived in Wilton Street, Lozells. We lived at 238, next door to Lil and Ron Hardy. I remember playing in the play area we all knew as 'the dragon', in Bennett Street. It was a solid stone dragon shaped thing, we would climb on, slide down, crawl through and hide in. There were iron climbing frames we would make our dens in or do gambols over. There was none of that soft tar to stop us cutting our heads open (happened to me once or twice). Then there was the waste ground we knew as 'the bomb peck', just behind St Pauls Church, on the Lozells Road. I would love to see pictures of the dragon, its all grassed now. When it was raining, we would hang out in the entry's of the houses in Chain Walk. There was also a little shop at the end of Wilton Street, I think it was called Pendry's. Anyone remember those days?

During the 1970's I lived in Wilton Street, Lozells. We lived at 238, next door to Lil and Ron Hardy. I remember playing in the play area we all knew as 'the dragon', in Bennett Street. It was a solid stone dragon shaped thing, we would climb on, slide down, crawl through and hide in. There were iron climbing frames we would make our dens in or do gambols over. There was none of that soft tar to stop us cutting our heads open (happened to me once or twice). Then there was the waste ground we knew as 'the bomb peck', just behind St Pauls Church, on the Lozells Road. I would love to see pictures of the dragon, its all grassed now. When it was raining, we would hang out in the entry's of the houses in Chain Walk. There was also a little shop at the end of Wilton Street, I think it was called Pendry's. Anyone remember those days?

Hi Morvenna, was Ron Hardy a decorator, had a white Mk1 Cortina estate. If so i was on of his apprentices

Hi Morvenna, was Ron Hardy a decorator, had a white Mk1 Cortina estate. If so i was on of his apprentices
He did have that car im sure, I thought he worked at Lucas at some point. im not sure what he did, but I can picture him in white overalls splattered with paint. Do you remember his wife Lil, always in denims and rode a motorbike? The kids were Carol, Paul, Peter and Robert.

My sister & family lived at 230, (Joyce & Frank Drakeley) being homeless at the time i would sleep on their settee when home on leave from Germany. Next door lived the Prosser`s. Young Dougie was hailed as a future England player & Joe Mercer was a regular visitor at the house. Unfortunately Dougie had a bad injury which ended his football career.

I met his wife Lil once, i recall she was younger than him, rememebr the denims. Also met his daughter Carol. Did they have a cat they took way in their caravan on holiday
Yes, holidays in Devon, we went with them once or twice, they had family there. There may have been a cat, I remember lots of dogs and pigeons. Carol used to babysit for me when I was little.

My sister & family lived at 230, (Joyce & Frank Drakeley) being homeless at the time i would sleep on their settee when home on leave from Germany. Next door lived the Prosser`s. Young Dougie was hailed as a future England player & Joe Mercer was a regular visitor at the house. Unfortunately Dougie had a bad injury which ended his football career.
Trying to remember which way up the house numbers went, cant place the names, we moved from there when I was 10 because the houses were being demolished.

Trying to remember which way up the house numbers went, cant place the names, we moved from there when I was 10 because the houses were being demolished.

Yes, I recall they used the same camping site year after year as a lots of people did then. I recall Ron always had problems with his chest, use to cough a lot. He also had a brother called Bert who was into photography. I would say that Ron was a nice guy, very helpful and kind.

Yes, I recall they used the same camping site year after year as a lots of people did then. I recall Ron always had problems with his chest, use to cough a lot. He also had a brother called Bert who was into photography. I would say that Ron was a nice guy, very helpful and kind.
Yeah, I always called them uncle Ron and Auntie Lil. I remember when Ron passed away, which was sad. He was fun, I remember him hanging the hose pipe over the fence and turning it on us when we were on our way to the loo, down the end of the garden. I think he kept pigeons too. Auntie Lil was quite a character too :)

Yes, I do recall him as being quite a fun individual who was devoted to his wife and family. At work he was a very good and knowledgeable craftsman. Over the years taught several apprentices. Apprenticeships were great for people, like me who did not do so well at school. They were a route into lifelong leaning that gave you the skills to always be in work and financially independent.

If I reflect back on education in the 60’s, the quality of teaching at some schools was dire. Fortunately, apprenticeships gave a lot of people a second chance in education. I went into the construction industry aged 16 with no formal qualifications, an apprenticeship gave me the education that the state schooling systems failed to do.

I did well out of the construction industry, and it was thanks to people like Ron Hardy who enabled me to do so. Lots of these craftsmen would take their time to show you their skills leaned over a many of years. The classic phrase being “right son, I’m gonna show you the right way, then I’ll show you my way”. We were kids when we started our apprenticeship and came out the other end as men.

RIP Ron hardy, you were a good man.

This is 170 Wilton Street, looks around 1940s/1950 s (?). Viv.

View attachment 128357
What a fabulous picture. I remember this shop, and I left Wilton Street with my parents in 1950 when I was 5 years old ....There was also a shop down on the corner of Wilton Street but I cannot remember what is was called. We used to buy sweets there.... We lived at 107.....

Last edited:
What a fabulous picture. I remember this shop, and I left Wilton Street with my parents in 1950 when I was 5 years old ....There was also a shop down on the corner of Wilton Street but I cannot remember what is was called. We used to buy sweets there....My name was Eileen Whittington. We lived at 107.....
Was the shop called Pendry's, I remember the sweets, would get enough to last all week in a 10p mix up :)

Hi, I am looking for any information/memories/photos of Wilton Street. My husbands mother [whom he never knew] grew up in Wilton Street. The family name was Smith and they lived at number 2 back of 181 from at least 1911 until at least 1955. There were at least 12 children. Many thanks.
Thanks for posting these. Just found out my relatives lived at 7 Temperance sq. Wilton Street, lozells in the early 1900's. I'm assuming Temperance sq was somewhere in Wilton St. Does anyone know what the area would have been like back then? The Hadley family had their address around 1913/14 as this address.

Thanks for posting these. Just found out my relatives lived at 7 Temperance sq. Wilton Street, lozells in the early 1900's. I'm assuming Temperance sq was somewhere in Wilton St. Does anyone know what the area would have been like back then? The Hadley family had their address around 1913/14 as this address.
Is there anyone that has any knowledge or had family members who knew them?

Hi everybody. My name is Paul Hardy (eldest son of Ron n Lil). I’m just back from a weekend meeting Carol, Peter & Robert Hardy in Devon. I am the only one remaking in the Midlands. Thank you for all of your kind words about Dad & Mum. They have a very sentimental feeling to them. If you like to know how our lives panned out, feel free to let me know. Stay safe - Paul Hardy

Hi everybody. My name is Paul Hardy (eldest son of Ron n Lil). I’m just back from a weekend meeting Carol, Peter & Robert Hardy in Devon. I am the only one remaking in the Midlands. Thank you for all of your kind words about Dad & Mum. They have a very sentimental feeling to them. If you like to know how our lives panned out, feel free to let me know. Stay safe - Paul Hardy
Hi Paul and welcome to the Birmingham History Forum. As you can see from previous posts. I knew your mom and dad from my workdays. I also knew your uncle Bert. I have some good memories of your dad. Please do tell us how your lives panned out.

Back