• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WILLIAM WELCH PUBLICAN

daid rathgen

master brummie
Easy Row, City Pubs
In 1837 Sarah Welch was a minor from Easy Row, Birmingham, "a publican's daughter." Her father, William Welch, was described as a Publican. Sarah married Edwin Withers, 5 Oct 1837, at St Thomas church, Birmingham. I cannot locate any pub in Easy Row earlier than the Woodman where she may have lived, probably with her father. I believe the Woodman began c1890s, but what was in Easy Row earlier, say 1830-1840?
I have traced Edwin to 15, Albion St where he stayed with Sarah’s brother, Samuel Welch, a commercial traveller. Sometimes he is variously described. Early on he was a butcher, then in 1830 at 2 Court St, as a servant; later in 1842 a "cook shop" in his wife’s eating house.
Any clues to accommodation or pubs in Easy Row c1837, please?
Daid

The Woodman was in Pigot's of 1835 on Easy Row. Edited: date changed to 1835
1654436622240.png

Last edited:
William Welch had only just become landlord in January

Birm.J. 28.1.1837.jpg

But was not there for long, as he was made bankrupt

Aris. Birm Gazette. 1.1.1838.jpgBirm Journal. 9.12,1837.jpgAris. Birm Gazette.25.12.1837.jpgAris Birm Gazette. 6.7.1840.jpg

McKenna's book ,Central Birmingham Pubns, states that the first woodman was opened in 1822,, "plain an unadorned".It was sold to Henry mitchell jr in 1890 (who soon after merged with William Butler to from M&B. He drew up the plans for the new pub in 1891

McKenna's book ,Central Birmingham Pubns, states that the first woodman was opened in 1822,, "plain an unadorned".It was sold to Henry mitchell jr in 1890 (who soon after merged with William Butler to from M&B. He drew up the plans for the new pub in 1891
yes ive got that one mike and had a look through it...alas no photo or drawing of the original woodman but i still have other pub books to go through

ly

Oh you wonderful people. Very grateful to you. Clarified a lot. I see William did become a publican again at the Red Lion in 2 Bull Ring, but in between times rose out of bankruptcy via Provisions Dealer (1851), refreshment house keeper (1859) at Dale End, a pastry cook in Lady Pool(?) Lane, ended up with a house and shop in Dale End 1859. Died with less that 300 pounds to his name in Sept 1859.
Found an image of the Eating House cnr Moor St and Dale End on Ancestry.

Attachments

• Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 9
Here is the letter referred to. I must admit, I had never heard of a thimble rigger before, but it is apparently what is nowadays known as the shell game .
Birm Journal. 9.9.1837.jpg
Going back to the beginning of 1837, the only earlier reference I could see regarding the Woodman and the magistrates (though the search engine could, of course have missed it) was this short piece in April, which would seem on the surface at least in indicate that the letter writer was on some sort of crusade

Birm journal 15.4.1837.jpg

I

Back