• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William McGregor

6747Anthony

Brummie babby
Hello Anthony from Australia . Reserching family tree of my Great x 4 Grandfather brother William McGregor he was a Draper but it appears that he lived at 301 Sumerlane from 1870 onwards. and was Chairman of Aston Villa for many years im looking for advice on were i may find local information possible photo of the area . As i no he wrote in the local paper and was a very popular person in his day
Any help would be great

Attachments

• william mcgregor portrait.jpg
    william mcgregor portrait.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1
hi anthony and welcome...i believe there is or is meant to be a statue of william mcgregor in the grounds of villa park this would need to be confirmed...we do have a dedicated thread for summer lane with many old photos before it was demolished so it is possible that there could be a photograph of no 301..just put summer lane in the search box to take you to the thread...any problems get back to me

lyn

hi anthony to save you looking here is the link to the summer lane thread it is an extensive thread so start reading it from post 1

This is the closest image I can find to No. 301 but gives a flavour of the area.

Attachments

• summer-lane-bk-291.jpg
    summer-lane-bk-291.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 18
In 1891 William McGregor is at no. 9 Witton Road, which if the numbers are the same is still standing.

Would have thought there would have been a plaque or something so may be wrong.

Maps showing location of 301 Summer Lane
Thank you very much . He owned a Drapery shop of the corner of Sunnerlane & brealey st from about 1870 until his death in 1911 as well it must of been a very busy shop he had 5 assistance at some stage . would love to no what it was called in the day

In 1891 William McGregor is at no. 9 Witton Road, which if the numbers are the same is still standing.

Thank you very much for your help 1891 cencus Shows he lived in Aston but no Address . That why i assumed he was always in Summer lane
William age 44 wife Jessie age 43 Son William age 13 Daughter jessie age 11 both at school along with live in Servant Emmie Shaw age 21 from Aston [ Note Wife jessie on previous page of cencus ] Most of all his Plaques ect are at Aston Villa Ground and Football Museum

hi anthony to save you looking here is the link to the summer lane thread it is an extensive thread so start reading it from post 1

Thank you for your help

Hello Anthony from Australia . Reserching family tree of my Great x 4 Grandfather brother William McGregor he was a Draper but it appears that he lived at 301 Sumerlane from 1870 onwards. and was Chairman of Aston Villa for many years im looking for advice on were i may find local information possible photo of the area . As i no he wrote in the local paper and was a very popular person in his day
Any help would be great
A very famous name to have in your family tree Anthony. His name means a great deal to us Aston Villa fans, (as shown @ post #4 above) and to football fans in general, given that he was responsible for the formation of the Football League itself.

Below is: (1) a book published in 2011, (2) a watercolour displayed at The National Football Museum, (3) his gravestone at St Mary’s Church, Handsworth, following it's restoration and rededication by the Bishop of Aston on the 100th anniversary of his death (those present included Football League president Lord Brian Mawhinney, former Villa chairman Doug Ellis along with representatives of all 12 original members of the Football League) and (4) the 1879/80 Villa team & officials (including your Great x 4 Grandfather 2nd left - back row):

images
images
images

1280px-Aston_villa_1879_80.jpg

Many thanks indeed i must have for our Ancestral Tree . Thanks for all the comments its been great to hear from everyone
I colourized the team photo come up ok . But had better luck with his headshot

Attachments

• aston Villa 1879 coloured.jpg
    aston Villa 1879 coloured.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 6
  • william McGregor coloured.jpg
    william McGregor coloured.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 6

yes i would have thought a blue plaque was in order as well...

Back