• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilfred Albert Bedson

BirminghamBorn

According to my husband his grandfather was something of a hero. He was a Birmingham tram driver who saved someones life (lying across the tram track) and was subsequently awarded a set of three leather bound works of Shakespeare by the then mayor of Birmingham. These books were originally intended to be given to my husband but have somehow been lost via the passage of time.
His grandfathers name was Wilfred Alfred Bedson and he died in 1950 - I would love to find out more details of this event for my family research project and would be most grateful if anyone out there has any information or could provide links for me to pursue this myself. Thanks folks.

hello birminghamborn...do you know what year this event happened..i would think the story must have been in the local newspaper...

lyn

hello birminghamborn...do you know what year this event happened..i would think the story must have been in the local newspaper...

lyn

The nearest I can get is 1940s Lyn which is a huge span. All relatives who may have provided details have now died so I have no sources other than my husbands memory.....

that is a huge span..do not know if you live in birmingham but i was going to suggest a visit to the libary to go through the birmingham mail or the sunday mercury but this would take you more than one visit im afraid as it takes ages to trawl through them..on the other hand if any of our members are subscribed to the online newspaper archives they may have a look for you i think they go up to the 40s

lyn

Hello Birminghamborn. An interesting story. Do you know how old Wilfrid Alfred Bedson was when he died in 1950? I wondered if he might have been retired for a few years, which would then narrow the search dates. Dave.

His name was William Alfred Bedson born Bolton , Lancs in Dec 1882 and living as a boarder in Lower essex Street in 1911 age 28 he died in 1950 age 67.

He married Mary Martin in 1915 and they had the following children
William A 1915
Dorthy 1916
Harold 1928
Alfreda 1921
Douglas 1923.

Mary Bedson died in 1985 age 92.

Last edited:
Some newpapers on the website do go up to the 1940s, but none from Birmingham. Things like this do sometimes appear in papers outside the area, but the name does not come up with anything in a search of the site. Looking just for the name Bedson in the 1940s produced 55 hits, but none referred to this

His name was William Alfred Bedson born Bolton , Lancs in Dec 1882 and living as a boarder in Lower essex Street in 1911 age 28 he died in 1950 age 67.

He married Mary Martin in 1915 and they had the following children
William A 1915
Dorthy 1916
Harold 1928
Alfreda 1021
Douglas 1923.

Mary Bedson died in 1985 age 92.

I would dearly love to go to Birmingham Library and trawl but I now live in Greece so a L O N G trip. Interesting about the subscription to Birmingham newspapers though, I’ll look into that. Thank you all for your input.
You have the correct details re William.
I understand William was ill for sometime before his death in 1950 so guess this event took place 1940 – 1945ish. I understand that this incident involved rapid use of the cow catcher, although I have recently read that this was not driver operated but automatic....?

I’ve searched the Birmingham newspaper archives (free option -article content subject matter) but can’t find anything. There doesn’t seem to be any records available re Birmingham Corporation tram employees, so have drawn a blank there too. Incidentally by far the greatest reference to Birmingham trams via Google leads me to this website.....

I have to say that this website is a gem – I’ve spent hours looking and reminiscing over the many wonderful photos and the Brumigam expressions have had me in stitches. I still say its black over Bill’s mums (maybe I should change Bill to Manolis) as the original is greeted with total bewilderment here.

Thanks everyone

so pleased you are finding the forum useful birminghamborn..it is only £9,95 for a months subs to the national newspaper archives so well worth joining as it covers all over the country and you never know what you may find out about your rellies..good or bad lol...here is the link to it and please let us know if you do find out anything...

lyn

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?gclicd={SI:gclid}&gclid=CMvS-MT298UCFdQZtAode04AjQ

Birminghamborn,

During that period the only Birmingham newspaper covered by the British Library Archives online is the Birmingham Post. I've done a search on Bedson and tram and nothing relevant shows up.

Maurice

Maurice
If you put Birmingham Post in the search frame at the archives , it only goes up to 1919 when I do it.

Ah, even more useless than I thought then, Mike. I searched on West Midlands, Bedson & Tram, and then selected 1900 to 1949. It showed Birmingham Post amongst the few papers with entries, but of course, no mention of the date range. So it seems that we are paying subscription fees for very poor 20th century West Midlands coverage. Everything prior to 1901 we can get free from Gales by joining Lancashire Libraries online! And most of the BL stuff you get from being a member of FindMyPast anyway. I will not be renewing my yearly BL membership in September. Thanks.

Maurice

Maurice. I think the FMP stuff is from the british newspaper archives, though they don't have the most recent additions. Not clear exactly how it works. The BNA does have a lot od stuff the Gales site does not, for example WW1 birmingham posts. I understand that part of the reason fro the poor coverage of the 20th century is copyright. Certainly I remember there was one entry I found from the early 20th century once, and it disappeared, and it was suggested that that might be for copyright reasons. Of course when I queries its disappearance I got a vague statement along the lines of "content always changing and being improved "

Mike,

That is typical - there is no way copyright can apply to a new item in a public domain newspaper. Whenever I have asked questions about content to such bodies, the answer has generally been "well if you like to finance this or persuade Google or someone to do so, etc". Bah, humbug!

Maurice

According to my husband his grandfather was something of a hero. He was a Birmingham tram driver who saved someones life (lying across the tram track) and was subsequently awarded a set of three leather bound works of Shakespeare by the then mayor of Birmingham. These books were originally intended to be given to my husband but have somehow been lost via the passage of time
Hello
Just on an outside chance of finding out some snippet of information there is a website dedicated to Birmingham Trams and it has some newspaper cuttings and lots of info if you e-mail Robert the owner he may be able to point you in the right direction where you can find out more information about a tram driver bravery award. The name Bedson is not a common name and I would also look for a miss spelling of Benson
https://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/trams.htm

You could also try The Royal Humane Society Awards and send them an e-mail
https://www.royalhumanesociety.org.uk/html/awards.html

Sorry cant be of more help
Louisa

Last edited:
Well, Birminghamborn, you could go to the horses mouth i.e. enquire at Birmingham City Council House, they must have a telephone or e-mail.
Good idea Radiorails. They might have information about the Lord Mayor's appointments and activities in the 1940s. Julie Goodall organises tours of the Lord Mayor's Parlour and might be able to put "Birminghamborn" in the right direction. Her e:mail is [email protected] Dave

Back