• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Why Are Streets Named After People?

True Pen but perhaps they haven't been "attacked" by over zealous town planners and still contain "old" buildings!!

Last edited:
Not Birmingham, but not far away in Smethwick, a sensible solution to street naming. Maybe they could try their hand at town planning too ? !! Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
Think it would make a good exercise as part of a history, geography, English project. And choices would have to be backed up by proper research and explanation. Viv

Not sure why there should be a Robin Hood Lane in Hall Green as the "fictitious" Robin Hood is usually associated with Sherwood Forest and Nottingham. It could be that there is a long-lost part of the legend that describes the robbing of the very rich people of Solihull as they travelled through Hall Green to the less wealthy district of Birmingham. By all accounts, the takings were used to pay for a cinema, pub, school, cemetery and a roundabout, all named after him. Dave.

Last edited:
Lived in Atlantic, Kingstanding, where the Atlantic winds would blow (well according to my Dad!). I suppose as the one side of the road runs along an exposed ridge it was quite possible. Viv.

Ken, an old mate of mine, lived in Atlantic Road. Now I know why he always felt the cold!

Well, I do not buy that tale for one moment farmedave. From my experience, prior to 1954, a large part of Hall Green was as well heeled as Solihull. In those days it elected a Conservative candidate, but I believe things have changed there now. :D

According to Carl Chinn there was a Robin's Wood opposite the Bulls Head. A mapmaker mistakenly named it as Robin's Hood and the name stuck

Back