• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Whisky A Go Go

Thanks for that Bob look forward to seeing some more photo's glad you had a good time, hope you held your little finger out when you held your glass.

Hi Ethan
I was there that night, as where many of the guys that where at our reunion in 2007. We still talk about it to this day, what was the date though, can you remember and do you have any photos of that time?

Hi Ethan
I was there that night, as where many of the guys that where at our reunion in 2007. We still talk about it to this day, what was the date though, can you remember and do you have any photos of that time?

Hi Bob,

Sorry I can't remember the exact date,
and unfortunately no photographs.
but here is a piece from an article written
on the Brum Beat site.
The Williamsons

Keith played in the band during the mid 1960's and amongst their support slots they performed before the legendary blues artist "Sonny Boy Williamson". Williamson had been been brought to play in the Golden Eagle in Hill Street by Georgio Gomelski while touring with the Yardbirds, another who played before Sonny Boy in Birmingham was Spencer Davis. "The Williamsons" band became a dedication to Sonny Boy. Before he left the Industrial heartland, Sonny Boy gave Keith's band a wonderful accolade by declaring the Williamsons "..a great young blues band." true praise indeed from a man who started his own career playing alongside people such as blues hero's Robert Johnson, Robert Nighthawk, Robert Jr. Lockwood and Elmore James.

Sad news, another well known face from the old Whiskey days and around town in the 60's, Leo Ryan has passed away after illness aged 61. Funeral at Robin Hood Wednesday 26th @ 1.30pm.
Leo Ryan was a bit of a trader, buying and selling anything, RIP Leo.

Sad news, another well known face from the old Whiskey days and around town in the 60's, Leo Ryan has passed away after illness aged 61. Funeral at Robin Hood Wednesday 26th @ 1.30pm.
Leo Ryan was a bit of a trader, buying and selling anything, RIP Leo.

Thanks for the post Bob,
R.I.P Rio

Re: Whiskie A'GoGo

I have had a e mail from one of the owners confirming that the Title of the all nighter blue's club was as is on the attached photo. Thanks to Ethan for pointing this out & Steve for confirmation.
There is a bit of a story and some photos to come from Steve Healey regarding the club and its name. Will post when received.

Thanks Bob, for the update,
I will ammend my Forum accordingly.
Look forward to more information,
when you receive it.

However Bob from your original photo,
there is still confusion.
Notice how it is spelt on the building,
which means the thread title Whisky is incorrect
and so is the card, or is it the sign on the building????

Chetwyns2.jpg

ethan
Steves
quote explains it;

The correct spelling is as shown on the card.

We had to change the name soon after opening due to a communication we received from London solicitors representing the original Whisky A'gogo in New York alleging breach of copyright, apparently they had registered the name worldwide. They said they had received instructions to commence proceedings but we never heard from them again.

I have not forgotten the pictures, I still intend to look for them, as soon as I find time as I am very busy at the moment, I will also include the above letter..

This is top drawer, thanks for sharing your memories. When I read stories like this I wish I were 20 years older (I'm 39)!

I'm fascinated by the history of the Birmingham club scene, particularly the places the Mods frequented. I was never one myself (late 70's revival just didn't cut it for me) but since I was a teenager I've been drawn to Northern Soul, Jazz, Blue Beat...etc.

I've experienced my fair share of all-nighters. However I'm always left with a sense of envy when I hear/read people such as your good self chew the fat. I won't be able to walk past 'that' spot again without imagining what it must have been like.

Thanks again,

Stu.

Hi,

My Dad was a doorman at whisky a go go way back in the early sixties, he later worked as doorman at top rank, barbarellas, rebeccas .. I was more a 70's townie , but Dad doing the doors had some advantages but other times no advantages ! (if he didn't like a club I had no chance of getting in !!)

Glad you enjoyed the history Stu, but I think I would prefer to be 20 years younger even though I did as others of my generation lived through a fantastic era of those 60's. A guy in London has contacted me about a book he is writing about the 60's outside London, haven't met him yet but will keep the forum posted when i have more details. attached is another photo of the Whiskie guy's in Margate circa 66

Dianna what was your dads name? Have you a photo of your dad in that era?

Thanks Bob, the book can't come soon enough. Birmingham's contribution to the youth & club scenes is criminally overlooked by publishers. It's important it's documented (and not forgotten) because it's all a part of what makes our city great.

Dianne: I don't suppose you got too much bother from your boyfriends!

Hi Bob and Stu

No sorry I haven't any photos of dad during that era.. his name was Teddy Sheppard , he worked most of the clubs in town in the early to mid sixties.

My boyfriends were terrified ! ... I remember being in a nightclub with my new boyfriend (later to become my husband) , Dad was on the door , we walked in and Dad just winked at me , about hour later Dad approached me and my new boyfriend, dad knew my boyfriend and asked him "who the bird was" ... my boyfriend turned to me and said "sorry - what was your name again!" -- even though we had being going out for 6 months or so ! (he just trying to look like a geezer) !.. well Dad and his colleague (a big 6'6" 14 stone muscle man) ! just laughed and promptly picked up my boyfriend by his shoulders , when he was dangling in the air Dad told him "her name is dianne.. my daughter and don't ever forget that" ... my boyfriend was so embarresed .. perhaps thats why he later asked me to marry him !! :D

I used to love the Piccadilly on a Friday Night, but one time me and my mate got back to our house and Dad was in, he asked us where we had been, Gilded Cage, Parisian, Parasol and then Piccadilly.. well he went crazy... "you aint going in there no more he said"... well next week we went there again and doorman stopped me ... Dad had given them a photograph of me and I wasn't allowed in there anymore !

Another time I was in the top rank (underage), I came out Rank slightly the worse for drink, wearing platform shoes , I fell over and hurt my ankle .. Doorman recognised me as Dad's daughter and took me home .. I expected Dad to go crazy for wearing platform shoes and getting drunk, instead he told me "never mix your drinks " .. stick to "one drink"

I certainly remember the Whiskey, was the first placed I went to to dance, can see me now, little miss mod as they use to call me. Coming up to 62 this year, and look the old photo's of me and friends, when we use to go out to various places for the dancing and the music.

First song I ever heard at the whiskey was Bare Footin! Have a 45rpm still of that. One of my first boyfriends, Roger if I remember rightly I met there, he had a lambretta scooter, now they expect a car!!

The girlfriend of one of my newphews is taken with the clothes I wore, and asked if I still had them. Wished I could still get into them! She loves that era of the fashions.

So good to be able to share memories with others who remember where you use to go, and where you to live, and of course what you use to wear.

:Dancedancer08:

I certainly remember the Whiskey, was the first placed I went to to dance, can see me now, little miss mod as they use to call me. Coming up to 62 this year, and look the old photo's of me and friends, when we use to go out to various places for the dancing and the music.

First song I ever heard at the whiskey was Bare Footin! Have a 45rpm still of that. One of my first boyfriends, Roger if I remember rightly I met there, he had a lambretta scooter, now they expect a car!!

The girlfriend of one of my newphews is taken with the clothes I wore, and asked if I still had them. Wished I could still get into them! She loves that era of the fashions.

So good to be able to share memories with others who remember where you use to go, and where you to live, and of course what you use to wear.

:Dancedancer08:
I would love to see your photo's Christina!!
can you remember what Rogers last name was?
You seem to be there at the same time as me.

The sixties and Mods were fascinating to me ( I was only 6/7/8 years of age) I loved the black and white dresses and the white knee high boots and of course the "back combed hair". Two of my elder cousins used to dress like that and I was so jealous.

I remember a neighbour of my nans who had a boyfriend with a Lambretta , he used to pick her up most nights (she in her white knee high boots) and him in his Parka, his scooter had loads of flags on it ... I couldn't wait to "grow up" so I could be a Mod !

By the time I got older then it wasn't Mods and Rockers .. It was Skinheads and Greasers... guess what I was ? ! ...

We used to go to BRS, Rainbow Suite, Top Rank etc etc, by the early seventies we used to go to Town most nights ... I had progressed from being a "skin" to a Townie . My first job was working at the GPO in Hill Street and I remember saving my money so me and my friend could go to Petticoat Lane in London to buy a Suede coat (they were only £5 but I only earned £6.48per week ) I then was a fully fledged "Townie" ! ... I also used to go to Cedar Club , Tavern, Parasol, Parisian, Barbarella's, Rebecca's , Gilded Cage, Costermonger , Sloopys ... Oh I wish I could do it all again !

Yes Christina put some photo's on we are the same age and I might recognise you, it wasn't roger thompson was it?

Green Onions and John Lee Hooker remind me of the Whisky, I have put this on before , it's me with the blonde hair at Margate with my friend Janet and the lads are some mods from London, it was the year they had the trouble

View attachment 26470

Green Onions and John Lee Hooker remind me of the Whisky, I have put this on before , it's me with the blonde hair at Margate with my friend Janet and the lads are some mods from London, it was the year they had the trouble

Interestingly Patty, when my band supported Sonny Boy Williamson,
on the night he was there, we played both Booker T's Green Onions,
and Dimples by John Lee Hooker.

Hi all,

Told you I was a wannabe Mod ... Booker T's "Green Onions "... I remember dancing to that at the one and only Kingshurst Youth Club ! (the place to be when you are only about 11 years old) !

Does anyone remember the Chesterfield (opposite the timberley pub) .. I managed to get in there on "boppers" nites , I was only 13/14 and Dad used to take me

Patty, that photo of you was just how I wanted to look, but my Dad and Mom wouldn't let me (I was only 8 ) !

Last edited:
Re: Whiskey A Go Go

Yes Christina put some photo's on we are the same age and I might recognise you, it wasn't roger thompson was it?

Patty
I did not know you knew my mate Dodger? the bad news is he married a school chum of mine Christine. They emigrated to Canada in the 70's and unfortunately Roger died of cancer of the lungs. He was a non smoker, good looking and a great guy around the town in the 60's. Wish I had a photo of him.
Sorry to b the bearer of bad news Patty.

Re: Whiskey A Go Go

Patty here's a couple of more photo's from From 1966 circa at Margate & Torquay.

Who do you recognize? We where deffinatly better looking than them Cockney's don't you think?

Myself and my best mate Pam on a trip to Blackpool about 66. And the Birmingham crowd we went with at Diamond Lil's, Blackpool. Myself and Pam sometimes went to the Whisky, but we soon became regulars at The Rum Runner and Cedar. Quite a few in the group photo went to the Whisky.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
That's sad Bob, my friend used to go out with him for a short while, she was mad on him, but married Eamon later. Seems like all the good one's are leaving us. I must admit when I come across this thread I get a bit sad, I loved being that age and had such a good time, I still do have a laugh and go out but nothing can replace your youth. I will wish for a Tardis for Xmas and we can all get in it and travel back in time what ya say??????

Hi Bob

Do you remember June Foster?

She went to Whiskie, RumRunner, cedar, etc etc, she lived in Acocks Green and ended up with a guy named Bob who lived in Old Lode Lane , she was stunning and all the guys were literally queing up to take her out ?... she my best mate (won't be when she finds out I been asking about her though!!!!) , she and Bob had a daughter named Samantha (named after nightclub)

Back