• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whisky A Go Go

hi Bob,
did you play in a band if so which one, i bought my first guitar from the shop underneath the club,

Fred i know Bob did not play in a band,you say you bought your first guitar did you play in a band?:(Mossy

hi Mossy,
yes over the time i have played and sat-in with differant bands from swing to orchestras in the photo i won that trophy for playing classical i just play Shadows numbers now. :cool:

Fred

Last edited:
Fred you must have been a session musician and anyway Hank Marvin is a very good guitarist:)Mossy

Re: Whiskey A Go Go

hi Mossy,
yes over the time i have played and sat-in with differant bands from swing to orchestras in the photo i won that trophy for playing classical i just play Shadows numbers now. :cool:

Fred

Fred
mossey was right I didn't play in Bands just danced to them, :explode:
I am impressed by your awards, and I do love classical guitar. Perhaps when Kieth brings sounds to the site we can hear a bit of your artistic skills? :1507:

This is a report for Patty, Mossy and anyone else that may be interested in a 2nd reunion at The Malmaison Hotel in September.
It was not an organized do but rather a get together untill we have another proper bash in 2010.
The Malmaison bar was brilliant but very expensive for us old Townies. We had a pleasant time notable for old faces to turn up, Such as Ronnie Whichler who was the original DJ and driving engine and financier for all the great USA blues acts whom came to the club in the mid 60's. He hadn't changed that much with his great ginger topknot.
Also Gill Taylor who dressed the windows at Rackhams also in the 60's and her husband Del Evans, whom where famous for their style of dress in those days (see photos) Gill I remember made all her on cloths. I took no photos but will post when I eventually get some.
I would think 50 to 60 people turned up for a chat. We mingled with todays "In Crowed" drinking champagne with strawberries in fluted glasses. My how thinks have changed since the 60,s

Thanks for that Bob look forward to seeing some more photo's glad you had a good time, hope you held your little finger out when you held your glass.

Hi Ethan
I was there that night, as where many of the guys that where at our reunion in 2007. We still talk about it to this day, what was the date though, can you remember and do you have any photos of that time?

Hi Ethan
I was there that night, as where many of the guys that where at our reunion in 2007. We still talk about it to this day, what was the date though, can you remember and do you have any photos of that time?

Hi Bob,

Sorry I can't remember the exact date,
and unfortunately no photographs.
but here is a piece from an article written
on the Brum Beat site.
The Williamsons

Keith played in the band during the mid 1960's and amongst their support slots they performed before the legendary blues artist "Sonny Boy Williamson". Williamson had been been brought to play in the Golden Eagle in Hill Street by Georgio Gomelski while touring with the Yardbirds, another who played before Sonny Boy in Birmingham was Spencer Davis. "The Williamsons" band became a dedication to Sonny Boy. Before he left the Industrial heartland, Sonny Boy gave Keith's band a wonderful accolade by declaring the Williamsons "..a great young blues band." true praise indeed from a man who started his own career playing alongside people such as blues hero's Robert Johnson, Robert Nighthawk, Robert Jr. Lockwood and Elmore James.

Sad news, another well known face from the old Whiskey days and around town in the 60's, Leo Ryan has passed away after illness aged 61. Funeral at Robin Hood Wednesday 26th @ 1.30pm.
Leo Ryan was a bit of a trader, buying and selling anything, RIP Leo.

Sad news, another well known face from the old Whiskey days and around town in the 60's, Leo Ryan has passed away after illness aged 61. Funeral at Robin Hood Wednesday 26th @ 1.30pm.
Leo Ryan was a bit of a trader, buying and selling anything, RIP Leo.

Thanks for the post Bob,
R.I.P Rio

Re: Whiskie A'GoGo

I have had a e mail from one of the owners confirming that the Title of the all nighter blue's club was as is on the attached photo. Thanks to Ethan for pointing this out & Steve for confirmation.
There is a bit of a story and some photos to come from Steve Healey regarding the club and its name. Will post when received.

Back