• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

where was this pub

john is precisely right that is the one at the junction of wainwright st and portland st
next to the buttons factory i lived across the rd from it in fact the word is born ,
i had missed this one pic from the beginning otherwise i couldhavebeaten john
with out looking at pictures or using ref books my knowledge is from memories and the breweries i do not have any ref books at all of any subjects
across the way from that manor house pub the road is a very large junction
and in that middle of the road there was an horse troth which would have been removed by the time that newish picture was taken compared to the older picture that was taken in the years gone bye it would have been a part of the main rd
until they introduced wainwright st and portland st what everyear it was
the horse troth was used by the dray horses for ansells brewery and any other trades men at the time i have seen as many five horses drinking from that troth at any give timebefore or after there deliverys and before being taken back to the stables
in vicage rdthey was big shire horse many of them with trothy badges onthe horses
have a nice day everybody best wishe astonian;;;

Thank you Astonian for that little memory clip. Without this sort of personal input from so many of the members this would be a very dry and dusty place. You all bring the pictures alive. I imagine I can see, hear and smell those big dray horses in their proper setting, the city streets, not some sterile showground.
Arkrites getting all emotional now.....please keep these flash backs coming. I love them and I am certain plenty of others do. Thanks again.

My husband Kenneth Allett grew up in the Manor Tavern his older sister Dolly and her husband Harold were the liscencees does anyone remember them or have any stories about them i would really really like to hear, thanks

hi john
bang on as usal i reconised it straight away the corner of wainwright st and portland street
but i know the pub very well and born and bred there spent many hours guy fawlinking out side when we was kids and yes it was called some think else previously just like the widdows pub up across the corner from it
as you may remember this discussion was up before and also the mannor
if i remember correctly the mannor was remnamed in the early years prior to the widdows arms having a name changed i can actualy recall the widdows being changed the day the workers came and changed it
i lived across the rd from the mannor the goodmands family lived yards from it and the brants had a little tea room yards from it facing buttons limited
and my old mate mother had the cafe facing the mannor with the horse trough across from it as well
long before my time in history the lichfield rd was known as the high street
n jimbo as got all the old records of the forum about three years back you will reember the mannor and the widdows on before now
have a nice day every body best wishes Astonian ;;;

Was wondering if any of these family members were on your photo in post #1 Lyn ? The two men in waistcoats in your photo (Centre sitting and far right with cap) look possible contenders if they ran the Manor Tavern of course. Viv.

CB2C3BFF-7219-440C-9029-F6DC5C679295.jpeg

this is the only one that is on a corner Portland street and Wainright street Aston the other one is in Clifford street it only lists these two in Kelly's
Thank you so much for posting this picture. My Mum, Grandparents and Great-Grandparents all lived in Lennox Street an my Grandad and Great-Grandad frequented the Manor Tavern but I could never find a picture. You have made my day . I don’t know much but I remember my Mum talking of the fishing trips and she would sit on the beer crates in the aisle of the coach

Thank you so much for posting this picture. My Mum, Grandparents and Great-Grandparents all lived in Lennox Street an my Grandad and Great-Grandad frequented the Manor Tavern but I could never find a picture. You have made my day . I don’t know much but I remember my Mum talking of the fishing trips and she would sit on the beer crates in the aisle of the coach
Hello don’t know if I’m posting in the right place , I’m new to this lol but it’s a amazing coincidence really I just happend to stumble on this today as I’ve just started researching today , my family were the lanes they lived at 7 back of 7 Portland street does anybody know anything them my great nan was called Louise lane I don’t know much about my grandads dad apart from his name was billy butler my grandad was called George butler and his brother was called Arthur ,my great great grandad was landlord of the manor tavern for a while but I don’t know his name no real information just a few bits and bobs passed down but would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows anything or has any info to help me would be greatly appreciated ,thanks in advance ,Steve

Back