• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

where was this pub

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all.. ive just saved this pic to my collection but all the caption says is.. the manor tavern... high st....would anyone have a clue as to which high st it is.

thanks

astoness:)

Attachments

• Manor Tavern.jpg
    Manor Tavern.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 29
its ok folks ive just found another pic stating where it is..but if anyone would like to take a guess before i post it i will hang on a while.

just had another look at my other pic and it says grafton street...but they look as though they could be one and the same pub...i wonder if it was on the corner of grafton st and high street...sorry for any confusement folks...

this is the only one that is on a corner Portland street and Wainright street Aston the other one is in Clifford street it only lists these two in Kelly's

Attachments

• Manor Tavern.jpg
    Manor Tavern.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 15
thanks john.. all i can tell you is the caption on my first pic says manor tavern high st.. and on the 2nd pic it say the manor tavern grafton st of course as we all know sometimes the caption is incorrect.

astoness
:)

john. would wainwright have been on the corner of the high st.. if so i would say thats it.

astoness

Astoness,
Have just looked at an old map 1913 and I would say that it is almost certainly the pub at the junction of Wainwright St, and Portland St. both meeting at Lichfield Rd.
The angle of the streets is exactly the same as the photo and even the cut off corner meets all the criteria.

john thanks very much.. dont know where high st comes into it then.. fraid im very perticular with my photos as i dont like to post them if the location is not correct. like i say the caption may well be wrong.

Hi , Just confirming with John that the Manor is in Portland St and Wainright St off Lichfield Rd at Aston Cross. Had many a pint in there as it was opposite Ansell's Brewery , used to pop in after work for a quick one. Mike

thank you john and mike.. so that puts pic one to bed... but what about pic two...the caption on that says grafton st...

astoness

Astoness,
I don't think there's much chance of finding this pub without another photo to match up the window.
I have enhanced it slightly, but there is no visual clue whatsoever.

thanks again john.. it may be one of those that we will never find out about.....the only thing i can see of similarity between the two pics is that that are both on a corner....could be the same pub or mabe not..

thanks for your help..

astoness

Looked up Grafton Road in my old Wakelins Street Guide, there are two

1. off 80 Sandwell Road, Handsworth.

2. off 48, Henley Street, Sparkbrook.

There is no Grafton Street listed.

hi sylvia.. thanks for that... i reckon they are pics of the same pub in aston.. just off to visit dad in hospital.. will delve into it later.

lyn:)

Back