• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where was this in WW2 ?

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
So many images of places in newspapers during the war years didn’t give a specific location, name of building or factory. Obviously this was important during wartime so that the enemy couldn’t use that information to their advantage. But perhaps we can now put names to some of these places.

If we can identify any posted to this thread I shall copy them to the appropriate thread.

This is labelled as a sandbagged public building in Birmingham. Any ideas ? Viv.

AAC9B359-B249-413D-A587-B9919B53C3B6.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

viv plenty of public buildings in the city centre back then and it would have been a high risk target but really it could be anywhere...will keeping thinking but do not recognise it yet

Would definitely say it was a 20th Century building , probably post 1920. At first I thought Central fire station, but nothing like it.

Would definitely say it was a 20th Century building , probably post 1920. At first I thought Central fire station, but nothing like it.
i agree with the date of the building mike but i am stumped at the min

lyn

steelhouse-lane-2.jpg

birmingham-central-police-station-steelhouse-lane-temporary-west-midlands-EY6R4Y.jpg

Steelhouse Lane Police Station?

The 'central' entrance protudes between the 1st and 2nd windows to the right of the entrance. The left side of the 2nd photo.

The amount of protection would be logical with the cells being underground.

Can't let the poor 'baddies' be vulnerable can we.:)

I agree that the windows , brickwork look right, but the 1939 photo looks like on a bend or corner of the building

I agree that the windows , brickwork look right, but the 1939 photo looks like on a bend or corner of the building

The road did indeed bend to the right to join.......was it Lancaster Street? I seem to remember a Curtain shop on the junction where the roads met. For some reason the name Dawkins comes to mind.

The road did indeed bend to the right to join.......was it Lancaster Street? I seem to remember a Curtain shop on the junction where the roads met. For some reason the name Dawkins comes to mind.
Sorry, the only contribution I can make... The curtain shop was Hawkins.. became a wine bar.

Annie

When did Birmingham police get their more ornate helmet, my remembrance is of a silvered band above the brim and possibly elsewhere. But look at the history in that picture. Sep 3rd, war declared, Sep 4th, Dixon has got his tin hat and his gas mask. Mind how you go.
Bob

Great ‘detective’ work all. Sorry for pun.

Next up, a morale boosting visit from the King to a Birmingham munitions factory.

047F9474-DA46-435E-BFFC-68328E035B34.jpeg
200CBBD6-BFBB-4AD7-AC2E-DE12C0519705.jpeg

This has to be Kynoch. The King visited it on 26th October 1939. A bit of research would uncover the identity of the men showing him around.

Chris

This has to be Kynoch. The King visited it on 26th October 1939. A bit of research would uncover the identity of the men showing him around.

Chris
thanks chris i thought it could only be kynochs

lyn

In an image from the same day, the gentleman to the King's right is Sir Arthur Smout, Chairman at the time; and on his left, H. E. Jackson.

Kynoch.jpg

They appear also prominently in the press cuttings. Note the correct carrying of gas masks.

(On the same day, my father, brother and future brother-in-law would have been on site but it's a little late, now, to ask them if they caught a glimpse of their king).

Chris

(Image source: "Under Five Flags")

Thanks all, so Kynochs it is.

Just a few days into the War and a lot of sandbag filling activity going on. But where in Birmingham ? Looks like a building site behind. Viv.

47C91232-49EF-4028-9613-8FDE07C4E354.jpeg

This one’s not so easy. There would have been quite a few recruiting centres in Birmingham. Think it might be a book shop sign behind the group. Or maybe it says “book room”. Viv.

55054015-2F0F-44D0-A912-1B5F07AA823C.jpeg

This one’s not so easy. There would have been quite a few recruiting centres in Birmingham. Think it might be a book shop sign behind the group. Or maybe it says “book room”. Viv.

View attachment 159735
My Dad and his mate joined the rush to sign up when hostilities were declared. He was devastated when they told him to go home because 'they were doing it different this time'. He was an automobile electrician by trade and was eventually roped in for aircraft production.

Someone may recognise the building in the first image. A difficult one. Viv.

190B3BEA-3887-4177-A4D9-344C5F42974D.jpeg

Back