• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this?

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
I have lost track of the Where is this? numbers, so where is this?

Attachments

• former Midland Red head office, in Vernon Rd Edgbaston.jpg
    former Midland Red head office, in Vernon Rd Edgbaston.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 4
This one seems to have sunk so unless Lloyd chances to see it, I'll leave it a mystery for another time
icon9.png

its a grand looking building mike but sorry i couldnt even hazzard a guess....

lyn

Is it a private hospital on the Hagley road Kime?. Naje. I think he has gone off down the allotment?.

HI GUYS
I actulary beleive it the convent at the top of kennsinton rd selly oak
i think it was call st marys and also i would like topoint out guys top left in the picture is a figure of a st mary
over looking he grounds where all the previous nuns have died whom was part of living there life in the convents
whom have worked all over birmingham
if ypou was up a ladder you would se the rows of rows of old sisters whom have been burried in the grounds like i have seen them
but it is the convent in sely oak or should i say selly park ; best wishes Astonian ;;

It rings a faint and vague bell but as I only visited once or maybe twice I will defer to Lloyd's greater knowledge. The occasion of my visit was to support the installation of a sliding 'sunroof' design that Triplex (I think) were developing for a luxury coach. Fascinating talk witht he carpenters/joiners who said that all the screws, that fixed the internal wood trim, on a coach the directors used had to be facing the same way or else.

Bernie detail was everything even as an apprentice electrician i was taught to make sure the slots in screws were vertical as this allowed any rain water to run out. Dek

I've never seen a picture of it before, and don't think I ever saw it in the flesh, but remember a story a frend told. He worked for Midland Red and , before joining, had to come for interview. Not knowing Birmingham, he jumped in a cab at the station and asked for the road (he thought) he had to go to. It was only when he arrived that he realised something was wrong and his memory had played up. He had remembered the head office as being at Varna road. Perhaps he thought all the girls were new-look conductresses
Mike

Just stoked up the the old steam computer to find Charlie was warm but Lloyd of course was bound to recognise it - job done!

Back