• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This #208?

No not Winson Green Rd Lyn

Alan I suppose a clue is in order, I have no doubt you have visited the premises at the head of this street as I'm sure it has welcomed a good part of Birmingham with open Arms.

Don't know it personally, but is it where BSA was in Armoury Road. Guessing your clue was in the 'Arms'. But of course the 'Arms' could be a pub! Viv

is it heath street south phil the birmingham arms pub is on the corner with dudley road..if it is i think that factory is still there.

Last edited:
That's the place Lyn the whole road Heath St South and the next road Hooper Street are now part of some large factory or plant. Well done perseverance gets you there in the end.

thanks phil next time i am over that way i will try and get a closer look because i think the factory in your pic may still be there..

Hi Lynn l think you are a little mistaken the birmingham arms pub is yes on the dudley rd but facing western rd
And most certainly not on heath street nor on heath street south but yes there was and still is a pub on that very corner today but not the Birmingham arms
And before the old slum clearances and redelvelops of the RDS for that part of heath street there was never no rd islands at the very top of heath street
And the old windmill red was there long before the redelemonts by new houses and flats like today's viewing but you would cross over the red a slight turning to your right there was an old orininale pub called the London tatters pub and that was my very first pint of mild I had ever drank in my life
Where as upon my two cronnies of dear friends of mine got me calined on to pi ts of mild whilst they being hardened drinkers drank the bitter by the pints and carried me back to spring hill and home at two o'clock in the morning
Also I would like to mention that on the corner of that street meaning hooper st and just virtually next to that pub with the name I just cannot think off right now
Was a small park with a swing and a see saw in it but it not a park with grass it was all sand and us as you gens nicked named it the sand park
On Sundays afternoon we want to play foot ball one would say shall we go to the sand park as years went bye by the seventys the old tatters was demolished
And the ring red was built and the rd was. Widen end and they rebuilt the old pub and renamed it the London stores and after that years on again they renamed it
The London apprentice was the very last time I seen that pub we used to play darts and etc in the Birmingham arms after that the next one on dudley red
Just yards from the b. A. Arms was the duke of wellington and yards after that is the old windmill with great history and stories to be told
By the gangsters of brum tested years it was run in the early years by a guy whom is well known family was the bizz we have had this one for many years of interest
By people enough is enough of that you have the lea bridge taveren on the corner of dudley rd and the start of heath street then the Shakespeare
One of old mossy and mine haunts of tested years then you go down the heath street and there was three or more pubs and one family residential club
Passing the gkn it turns to heath st south and line of factory's eventually you will come to the end of heath street to the pub which I cannot think of just yet and the London tatters best wishes Alan astonian,,,,,,,,,

hello alan..the birmingham arms is deffinately on the corner of dudley road and heath st south which as you said is opposite western road..

all the best

lyn

Alan as Lyn says the Birmingham Arms is on the corner of Heath Street South & Dudley Rd. Here is a photo of the pub complete with street name plate.

Attachments

• Birmingham Arms.JPG
    Birmingham Arms.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 19
Well Phil
I think there as been confusion yes I know that's the
I pub I have known for donkeys years drank in there used the convenience since I was a kid mossy used it he worked right next in the gate way
To the factory you would have walked in it was my territory for donkeys years and that's what I have said there was never one down on heath set
As we knew it and to top it you said heath street when she said dudley red you said its off dudley red
We'll I can tell you its been known to all residents for donkeys years from Ladywood and Winston green people
The b. A arms as always been known dudley red and in the fifths and years gone bye there was neverfa name plate above that pub in all the years I have known it
Plus the fact there was never a bend in the red as the picture you put on in fact if we can get an old picture previously from this site which was on some years back the same shot never shown any sign of the name plate of heath street and I am pretty sure its official listing for that pub would be dudley red in any phone
Directly and none of locals would refers it as heath street south its dudley rd
On the subject of a picture showing looking down the street what you shown was misleading tomorrow I will pop over there to morrow
And take a shot for myself to see where the bend in the red comes into it that building was barker and Allen and as you come out of the smoke room of that pub you walk turn right and walk fifty yards to the barker and Allen factory and there was a gate to the premises and as gate keeper
As I already pointed out to Lynn the only b a arms was on dudley rd and you told her its off heath street then later you said heath st south
We have drank in all the pubs from one end of heath street to the other end and come up windmill lane and back down passing the cape of hope and back down to dudley red every pub for donkeys years that pub is known as dudley d best wishes astonian

Alan

Of course the Birmingham Arms is on Dudley Road, nobody has said different it's at the junction of Heath Rd South as shown on the map. As for the street nameplate on the Birmingham Arms here is an older image showing it though it is a bit faint it is still readable. There is also an image of Heath Street South as it is now.

Attachments

• Dudley Rd .jpg
    Dudley Rd .jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Winson Green Birmingham Arms Dudley Rd.JPG
    Winson Green Birmingham Arms Dudley Rd.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Heath St South.JPG
    Heath St South.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 14
Back