• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this 2007- 2008 queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lloyd

Due to the proximity of the Birmingham Rep sign I would have to say it was Dudley St or Hinckley St if its at the back of the Theatre, or if its at the back of the Costume Stores in Oozles St I would say Brasshouse Passage.

Phil

I wondered Bewdley, but the church tower doesn't look right - and I didn't think there were trees at the roadside...

As for mine, Bus 3770 parked somewhere...No correct answers yet...it's close to the city centre, on a road long since built over. There's a bit of the modern Birmingham visible, from where you can work out the location. I'll give you another day, and put the answer up very early Saturday (I'm not home from work till after midnight) if it's not guessed by then.

HI PMC ,
It Was Nice To See You Got One Of My Old Boozers Listed On Your Pub LIst
The Red Lion , Acocks Green , Me And My Old Dutchess Ran That Afew Years
Years Ago The Chance ,s Are I Either Gave You A Ticket Or Got The Afters ,
Do You Recall The Old Boy Whom Ran The Britt, And When They Rebuilt It
Then The New Gather An Ex boxer Took Over ,Drank Like A Fish And Then
Wanted ToTake Every one On ,Thirty Of U Gathers Went To DUBLIN
To See How They Ran There Boozers ,And He Was One Of Them
I,LL Try And Dig The Pictures Out
Your List Of Sequence Of The Pubs Are Bng On Have You Got One Of The
Colledge Arms Stratford Rd best wishes astonian ,;;

Hi Astonian

I'm afraid even though I used all those pubs on that list one time or another, I was never what you would class as a regular. For me there were very few pubs I would class myself as being a regular.

The Tabot Inn , Highgate Rd and The Hereford Arms Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook. The Adelaide Nechells and The Crown Station St in the City would be the only pubs you would say I drank as a regular.

I of course used many more Pubs WM Clubs and nightclubs all over the city.

I'm sorry but, I don't have a photo of the College Arms but the next time I pass that way on the way to Birmingham I will get one for you.

Phil

As for mine, Bus 3770 parked somewhere...No correct answers yet...it's close to the city centre, on a road long since built over. There's a bit of the modern Birmingham visible, from where you can work out the location. I'll give you another day, and put the answer up very early Saturday (I'm not home from work till after midnight) if it's not guessed by then.

Lloyd

Little Bow St just off the Horsefair.

Phil

Is it Knowle? I was working there last week, sure looks like it.

Postie... You got it ... West Street, Warwick.. the clue was my location.
We bought a shop on the left hand side of the this road when we moved from Birmingham..

Well done Postie...I was almost certain, as was Alf that it was Henley-in-Arden and I thought this because, like Alf, I thought it was across the road from the famous Ice Cream shop. Oh well.

Lloyd

Little Bow St just off the Horsefair.

Phil

Hmm, nice try, but I don't think you'd have seen the rep that clearly from there.
I'll put you all out of your misery, the answer in another pic and a map.
Just behind the bus you can see what I remember to be the first bit of new construction along Smallbrook Queensway, the office block which straddles Hurst St, standing on four legs - you can see them today if you're there.
The road is 'Old Meeting Street', which used to run between Dudley St (opposite Hinckley St.) and the top end of Station St, almost at Worcester St. It disappeared under the new Bull Ring Bus Station.
On the attached map, the office block is a blue line, the Rep a blue dot with an arrow pointing to it, and the road is in green.

Lloyd

The little I remember of the "Old Meeting St" area I always assumed as being part of Hinckley St, So when you shot me down with that answer. I surmised that the sign for "The Rep" was just another storage depot loke Oozells St, but elsewhere. I thought the new construction tower block on the photo was at Hollaway Head.

Phil

Right this is a very easy one that most should be able to locate.

The second one is a little harder and is more of a "what is it"? than "where is it"?

Phil

pmc1947. Phil I don't know where the first one is, could be anywhere.
Wild guesses would be Aston Road or Great Francis Street. The second one I was going to say a breakdown truck for buses, but would it need a winch ? which I cannot see. Sorry I am cheating with two guesses for the first one.

Sorry Ernie

Not Great Francis St, Aston Rd woulf be getting nearer. Take as many guesses as you like. The second photo, I suppose its not really what it is that I want, but more what was it?

Phil

PMC,
Blind guess. Noting the wartime covers on the headlamps would it be a vehicle for towing the barrage balloons?
Will.

Now I will go along with that, seeing as there is nothing else I can think Of.
( We share the prize Money ) If its not that, we need a cue, is it to do with the war ?

PMC,
Blind guess. Noting the wartime covers on the headlamps would it be a vehicle for towing the barrage balloons?
Will.

I think we are getting a little mixed up here, you can say its a lorry and that will close enough for me. What I want to know is, what was it in a former life.

Phil

Phil, I would say the photo of the trams was taken at the junction of Park Road/Victoria Road, Aston. Can't guess re the lorry.

Phil, I would say the photo of the trams was taken at the junction of Park Road/Victoria Road, Aston. Can't guess re the lorry.

You are correct, well done. I think the lorry will need an expert, but we have those don't we.

Phil

Re- the lorry, Wow! Where did you get that one!!!!
ON 1319 was a 1925 AEC '504' model chassis, originally carrying a 52 seat double deck body by Short Bros of Rochester, probably more famous for their aircraft and seaplane production. It was Birmingham Corporation no. 168 and was the 83rd 504 model built. (Chassis no. 504.083).
My fleet records show it as withdrawn from service in 1935, and sold for scrap to messrs. Cunliffe, whose yard was at the bottom of Hamstead Hill (right hand side, just before the railway).
It has obviously become a lorry and lasted until wartime blackout regulations, judging by the headlamp masks, and interestingly has a similar cab to some BCT conversions they did for themselves to make service vehicles out of old buses. This one isn't in the lists, though!
I attach a pic of bus 152, to show what this would have looked like in its 'former life'!

Great Phil. Must go through my photo's and find out some more. My old friend Ivy Price said she was related to the owners of the cafe. Just fancy a bacon and egg sandwich now. Bye. Jean. Just found some good back to back but will save them for another day [or night]

Lloyd

I don't have to tell you that you are right do I?

The information I have is, 1924 AEC 504 Flett No 168 Double Decker converted by Cunliffe's in 1943.

Phil

Jean's pic of the Park Cafe and B&B (and licenced tobacconist!) is lovely, the sort of photo the shows the type of housing that was swept away mercilessly in the 60s and 70s, enjoying happier times.

The faded sign painted on the brickwork gives a phone no, EASt 0038. Where was East exchange area? Aston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back