• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this 2007- 2008 queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Re - Byron Road)
I have been down that road a thousand times when I was a nipper, and I never would have guessed it. I can't even remember tram lines, let alone trams
I doubt if you would, the 22 Bolton Road route was converted to single deck one man buses on 4th Feb, 1930. These were the buses, by Guy Motors of Wolverhampton - see the 'pay as you enter' sign on the window behind the entrance.

Another transport-related one (well all my photos are buses, trams or trains!)
Where is this? Should be quite easy. The bus is 1930 AEC Regent 402 with a wartime 'utility' body, given to some to extend their lives during the hostilities.

Well it looks like Park Hill Moseley to me, but I can't think what a bus is doing there.

Phil

I can't even remember tram lines, let alone trams - how do you know that I am not over 78.
I don't know - but even if you were, at what age do babies take notice of tram tracks? I wish I could remember more clearly the ride my dad took me on, a Lichfield Road tram because they were about to finish - I would have been 4 in 1953.
No, not Moseley - do the tram lines in the road give a clue?? And the slope on the road behind 402?

With all them broken paving slabs it must be Birmingham. Is it Trinity Road?

No, mike g.
Another clue? The patch of tarmac on the cobbles. It's not a bus stop, but buses would often stop here as this one has.

I don't know - but even if you were, at what age do babies take notice of tram tracks? I wish I could remember more clearly the ride my dad took me on, a Lichfield Road tram because they were about to finish - I would have been 4 in 1953.
No, not Moseley - do the tram lines in the road give a clue?? And the slope on the road behind 402?

Thankfully I am a good bit under 78, the reason I said Park Hill was because I knew it had been a tram route, but I never knew it to be a bus route. I at least have memories of all those tram trips to the Lickies.

Right my next guess is Hamstead Rd Lozells.

Phil

Sorry, no. Did trams ever go down Hamstead Road? I wouldn't fancy taking one of the big bogie enclosed cars down Hamstead Hill, even with their Spencer-Dawson air-oil brakes!

See how little I know about trams, and all I know about buses is that sometime I couldn't afford them, and I had to walk. Another clue is called for

Phil

Those were the days, getting your bike wheels stuck in the tram lines. Happened to me more than once, trying to steer strait and getting thrown off sideways.
Oh for the fun of it all.
Wonder what that chap was thinking in the photograph ?

Last edited:
Just seen this last picture. Isn't it in Washwood Heath Road outside the tram shed. That would have been before the Washwood Heath and Alum Rock trams finished in October 1950 - when tram drivers were trained to handle buses.
I wasn't on the last Washwood Heath tram because the Lozells and Gravelly Hill route closed the same night, and I did that one and back to Witton. then only half hour's walk home. It would have been twice that from Washwood Heath.
Peter

Spot on Peter, outside Washwood Heath depot it is. 402 went to Bird's Commercial Vehicles, Stratford, for scrap in 1950 and by the look of the bus, its end wasn't far away!

A bit newer now. One of the JOJ 5xx series Guy Arabs sits at a terminus outside a Municipal Bank- where?

Kingsbury Road, Pype Hayes..on the corner opposite the pub..and if it is right..(Just like Max Bygraves) 'I wanna tell you a story'

Sure enough, the Bank I thought it was (Kingsbury Road) in the flat above it, I had to put full central heating in.
I remember starting it on the Friday while the Bank below was open, I continued the work early the following day (before the bank opened) I remember getting up the floorboards to lay the pipes underneath and decided instead of cutting notches in the joists, I'd drill them instead..
10 minutes later 3 Police cars, dogs and several armed coppers turned up.
My drill had set off the silent 'trembler' alarms that were linked to the local station..quite a hairy moment I can tell you..luckily enough, my beautiful blue eyes screamed out my innocence..
'Da boy got away wid it'

Hagley Rd West, Quinton. As I know nothing about buses, I am going by banks.

Phil

Could it be the Handsworth Branch. But I can't remember what road it was on. Although looking at the houses it could be Harbourne. So I will go for Harbourne. Mo

Not Handsworth or Harborne, Sakura. But close to Harborne and Quinton (pmc's post above).
Incidentally, nothing to do with the puzzle, but my first ever bank account was opened at this branch! I've only just remembered that!

Sorry, neither of those!
This is not a bus terminal now, all services that pass it continue over the former city boundary (a couple of hundred yards to the left) into what used to be Staffordshire.

Correct! Sandon Rd , the No. 6 terminus with Willow Avenue disappearing off on the left.

Lloyd,

Boy am I happy about that, I thought I was going have to go through every Birmingham Municipal Bank. That ruddy great bus was obscuring the view.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back