• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This? 180

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
This might have you guessing a bit, but there again I don't know. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

xx-4.jpg

This might have you guessing a bit, but there again I don't know. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

Good Morning Phil, I can only say by those smoking chimneys it is Birmingham ( Don't ask me where .) LOL.

Its Birmingham Town Hall and a copy of Castor & Pollux Temple in Rome. Len.

Last edited:
Phil, Is it anywhere near this building ??

Attachments

• City Victoria Square Town Hall.jpg
    City Victoria Square Town Hall.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Ernie,

I thought you would have known by now that I only post things about Birmingham or very close to Birmingham.

Lencops

I'm afraid that you have the honour of being the first to fall for the obvious guess. I'm afraid that I wouldn't make it that obvious. But I will be honest on first sight of this drawing I thought the same and I thought that Mr Hansom might be involved

Phil

looks like the town hall to me too phil....there is a building to the right on both yours and ernies pic...but i cant beleive you would make it so easy for us lol...

lyn

Ernie,

no its not near the Town Hall

fatfingers,

No its not a trick question, a trifle confusing maybe.

Phil

Lyn

This is the building to the right of Ernies photo, but it's not in mine.

Phil

CityAnneSt-CongreveSt.jpg

thanks phil...ive got that pic too....ive got a feeling that this one could go on a bit....just one thing...is it in the city centre area...

lyn

Lyn

No the building is no longer there, in fact it didn't have a very long life.

Jean

No its not near to New Canal St, but there again it depends on what you class as near.

Bill123

No nothing to do with Birds, I'm not that cryptic.

Dek

No not Birmingham Alabama

thanks phil..well that narrows it down a bit...lol....no idea but will watch the thread with interest....

lyn

It could be a Drawing of the proposed Town Hall.?

Two sites were considered by the Birmingham Street Commissioners for the construction of a concert hall in the city; Bennetts Hill and the more expensive Paradise Street site. Paradise Street was chosen and a design competition was launched which resulted with the submission of 67 designs including one by Charles Barry, whose design for the King Edward's School on New Street was then under construction

Last edited:
Alf

Can I assure you, other than similarity it has nothing whatsoever to do with the town hall.

Phil

John

This wasn't just a design it was an actual buiding. I can even tell you that it cost £2,400 to build.

Phil

I thought that it was a view of the back of the town hall which would place Allins on the left but there are not enough pillars and arches and it seems smaller. There was another building on the old skyline though that some of us mistook for the town hall and I think it was closer to the Dale End area and some kind of club or guild. If that is in fact the case then Peter Walker will know the exact location and name. He posted on this a few years ago I think but my memory is not good. It's funny how these monstrous heavy money boxes seemed to be the height of style in those days. You would have thought that since the Romans had developed the arch and concrete then these much more space and material efficient methods would have been favoured. Not so seemingly back then.

I think it is the Art Gallery and museum attached now, but not then to the Council House, by the side of Big Brum.
Max

This is a toughie! I thought for a moment it was the old Villa Park ticket office and then I thought, don't be silly there's too many people in the picture.

Well make sure you tune your Tv in tomorrow, you will see a lot of Villa supporters at Wembley for the 2nd time this season !!!!!!!

I'll look out for that Max..........my memory is terrible. What happened the last time they were there?

As this was seemingly a building with a very short life (otherwise more people would know about it!), was it erected as part of an exhibition or a film set?

Maurice

Oh Dear What Have I Started ????? Now if it had not been printed on the photograph I could have told you that was Ann Street before they built my " Council House."

Back