• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hoare Oliver

gill1953

proper brummie kid
My GG Grandparents Oliver Hoare and Frances Elizabeth Hoare are buried at Witton Cemetery. I have the burial details of both and the number of there graves. Oliver 47722 and Frances 037154 . I was hoping maybe there may be something on a headstone that would indicate her maiden name. Does anyone know where i could look (other than ancestry or find my past as i have both please), I have come to a complete stop. I have written to Witton Cemetery in the hope they can help
Thankyou
Gill

When did your gg grandparents die? Did they live in Birmingham most of their lives (do you think they married in Birmingham? As I cannot find a marriage on FreeBMD it could be that they married before 1837.

Hi Oliver Hoare born 1849 died 1904 and Frances born 1847 died 1916 . Sorry do not know when and where they married the only thing I have is a death for Oliver and his wife being Frances Elizabeth.Its a mystery cannot find anything. Thanks for answering

Hi have just received death for Frances Elizabeth and she died at the Workhouse Infirmary Gordon Street Erdington. Does anyone know where to look for workhouse records nothing on Ancestry or Find my past thankyou

Hi Gill, I've drawn a blank on Ancestry too! Familysearch used to be good for Parish records for marriages etc. but it now tells me it doesn't support my browser (Firefox). You can create a free account if you have the right browser though.
rosie.

Her names was Frances Elizabeth Betts, the daughter of John and Mary Ann b1848 Uttoxeter.

She married Samuel Hubble/Hubball in 1866. Samuel died in 1891. Elizabeth Hubble, Oliver Hore marriage registered Bham Sep 1892.

In 1901 Albert Hubble is with them listed as grandson, he was the son of Frances' son William Henry Hubble.

Marriage 1892

HORE Oliver to Elizabeth Hubble. Birmingham Sept qtr. 6d 97

May not be the correct one but with a surname like Hoare, you will have to look at various ways of spelling.

When did your gg grandparents die? Did they live in Birmingham most of their lives (do you think they married in Birmingham? As I cannot find a marriage on FreeBMD it could be that they married before 1837.
Hi Oliver Hoare born 1849 died 1904 and Frances born 1847 died 1916 . Sorry do not know when and where they married the only thing I have is a death for Oliver and his wife being Frances Elizabeth.Its a mystery cannot find anything. Thanks for answering

Marriage 1892

HORE Oliver to Elizabeth Hubble. Birmingham Sept qtr. 6d 97

May not be the correct one but with a surname like Hoare, you will have to look at various ways of spelling.
Thankyou this will give me something to explore it could well be the right one

Her names was Frances Elizabeth Betts, the daughter of John and Mary Ann b1848 Uttoxeter.

She married Samuel Hubble/Hubball in 1866. Samuel died in 1891. Elizabeth Hubble, Oliver Hore marriage registered Bham Sep 1892.

In 1901 Albert Hubble is with them listed as grandson, he was the son of Frances' son William Henry Hubble.
Almost certainly maybe this one as Aston was the place they lived there married life and in 1861 the Betts lived here too, I would never have found this without you help

Oliver appears to have been born Ross-on-Wye in 1852. He may have married an Eliza Meek in 1876, who died not soon afterwards.

However there doesn't seem to be any children of Oliver and Frances Elizabeth registered, unless I'm missing something. So how certain are you that you have the right people, Frances would have been 44 when they married.

Oliver appears to have been born Ross-on-Wye in 1852. He may have married an Eliza Meek in 1876, who died not soon afterwards.

However there doesn't seem to be any children of Oliver and Frances Elizabeth registered, unless I'm missing something. So how certain are you that you have the right people, Frances would have been 44 when they married.
Hi I have seen this birth and marriage to Eliza Meek and really did think it was her until I looked at Olivers death certificate and it said his wife Frances Elizabeth was there when he died. Depending when Eliza died it could be her as my Great Grandfather was born in 1879 and Eliza would be the Mother. So will look at Eliza Meek again thank you

Apologies, I said Eliza and it was Ellen Meek he married. It is possible though that Ellen died in 1877 which would rule her out.

Simplest thing might be to tell us the name of your great grandfather.

Apologies, I said Eliza and it was Ellen Meek he married. It is possible though that Ellen died in 1877 which would rule her out.

Simplest thing might be to tell us the name of your great grandfather.
Hi I read it as Ellen Meek. My Grandfather is
Charles Hoare
1879–1953
BIRTH 22 JULY 1879 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
DEATH NOVEMBER 6 1953 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
great-grandfather
Hope this helps
Thankyou

That didn't help as much as I thought it might. No registration for Charles and he doesn't appear on the census until 1901 (which I'm sure you know) and neither does Oliver. Which kind of confirms that they are father and son (and the marriage of course).

My best guess would be that after his first wife dies he comes to Bham and has a child with another woman without marrying her. No idea if she is single, widowed or still married to someone else but if the child is registered it's probably under her current name.

If they lived as man and wife, because they're not on the census, no way to tell but if they did then she probably died prior to 1892 when Oliver married Frances. Not being on the census might mean that she was still married to someone else and then again it might not. Total speculation.

I would say though that his mother wasn't Ellen Meek or Frances Betts. Maybe someone else can spot something.

That didn't help as much as I thought it might. No registration for Charles and he doesn't appear on the census until 1901 (which I'm sure you know) and neither does Oliver. Which kind of confirms that they are father and son (and the marriage of course).

My best guess would be that after his first wife dies he comes to Bham and has a child with another woman without marrying her. No idea if she is single, widowed or still married to someone else but if the child is registered it's probably under her current name.

If they lived as man and wife, because they're not on the census, no way to tell but if they did then she probably died prior to 1892 when Oliver married Frances. Not being on the census might mean that she was still married to someone else and then again it might not. Total speculation.

I would say though that his mother wasn't Ellen Meek or Frances Betts. Maybe someone else can spot something.
Hi
Thankyou I would say you are right I think he married Ellen Meek who died a few years later. Then married Francis Elizabeth but had a child my GG grandfather out of wedlock in between those marriages.
I am so grateful for spending your own time looking for me.

Oliver HOAR baptised 13th October 1852 Hereford parents Philip and Eliza
1861 surname HORE,
Ross
Philip Hore b 1811 herefordshire, Masons labourer
Eliza 1817 b Ross
George 17
William 15
Oliver 9
Mary ann 6
Charlotte 2
James 5 mths
John Hore b 1770 father agricultural labourer
Catherine Dolley age 13 neice.

WOW still labouring at 91, Alberta.

Philip HOARE married Eliza DALLY(could this be Dolley) in Ross 1840
his father John , her father James.

Last edited:
Oliver HOAR baptised 13th October 1852 Hereford parents Philip and Eliza
1861 surname HORE,
Ross
Philip Hore b 1811 herefordshire, Masons labourer
Eliza 1817 b Ross
George 17
William 15
Oliver 9
Mary ann 6
Charlotte 2
James 5 mths
John Hore b 1770 father agricultural labourer
Catherine Dolley age 13 neice.

WOW still labouring at 91, Alberta.

Philip HOARE married Eliza DALLY(could this be Dolley) in Ross 1840
his father John , her father James.
Hi
Thankyou for your help I have sent and are waiting for a couple of certificates to verify what I hope is
right.
Thankyou for taking the time to look for me

I think this is Oliver's birth in 1852 - registered without a first name
HOARE, - DALLEY
GRO Reference: 1852 J Quarter in ROSS, HEREFORDSHIRE Volume 06A Page 406

Back