• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What music brings out your emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I suddenly remembered a beautiful piece of music that I first heard on forces radio in Germany, in the 70s. They used to play a male duet and it was years later that I discovered they were singing something unpronouncable from an opera called The Pearl Fishers. I googled it and when it played my hair stood on end. Even better harmony than the Everleys !

Spoilt for choice on YouTube with several different performers. This one has an attractive announcer thrown in! :)

Maurice :cool:

Pete, you are a Philistine! ( But i like you )
thats ok i dont care.
Calling someone a philistine makes you a pompous jerk, but is it racist? According to Merriam-Webster, the word has two different meanings
  1. a native or inhabitant of ancient Philistia

2. a person who is guided by materialism and is usually disdainful of intellectual or artistic value

Last edited:
thats ok i dont care.
Philistine

Calling someone a philistine makes you a pompous jerk, but is it racist? According to Merriam-Webster, the word has two different meanings:

1. a native or inhabitant of ancient Philistia
  2. a person who is guided by materialism and is usually disdainful of intellectual or artistic value

Phil Istine, didn't he work on the track at the Austin ?

Spoilt for choice on YouTube with several different performers. This one has an attractive announcer thrown in! :)

Maurice :cool:

Yes we are spoilt for choice ! The version I like is a bit earlier than most, the singers are Jussi Bjorling and Robert Merrill. Sort of sets the standard for me.

This morning I suddenly remembered a beautiful piece of music that I first heard on forces radio in Germany, in the 70s. They used to play a male duet and it was years later that I discovered they were singing something unpronouncable from an opera called The Pearl Fishers. I googled it and when it played my hair stood on end. Even better harmony than the Everleys !

Well mapolebaz, if it's better harmony than the Everlys then I shall listen later! Although the Everlys are by far my favourites my emotions are stirred by Ella Fitzgerald's 'Every Time We Say Goodbye', Sandy Denny's 'Who Knows Where the Time Goes' and The Easter Hynn from Cavalleria Rusticana.

This thread has really got me thinking so I may be back!

Ah, Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention. I like her singing "Crazy Man Michael" on their album Liege and Lief.
(Would i be right in thinking Dave Swarbrick has Brummy connections ?).

Some highbrow stuff on here,my memory is somewhat prosaic by comparison.
During my third year (66-67) at Hartfield Crescent School I fell in love with a very pretty girl in my class. She sat across the aisle on my right in Mr Clements English class.Petite,pretty and always smartly dressed she was well out of my class,but I loved her non the less. I never had the courage to ask her out but I always hoped that 'some sweet day I'd make her mine'.
Sadly never happened,she never became my Pretty Flamingo. Now each time I hear that song my heart and mind fly back to those innocent and I wonder what might have been if only.........

Nodd,still unrequited:broken_heart:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Land of Hope & Glory" and of course there is only one place to experience it being played and only one night of the year. I have had the privilege of experiencing this live twice in my life.

The other two instrumental pieces that will always grab my attention are "Il Silenzio" I prefer the version by Nini Rosso.

Then we have another trumpet solo by Ken Thorne and his Orchestra trumpet solo by Ray Davis, the theme tune from a rather second rate film "The Legions Last Patrol"

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Land of Hope & Glory" and of course there is only one place to experience it being played and only one night of the year. I have had the privilege of experiencing this live twice in my life.

The other two instrumental pieces that will always grab my attention are "Il Silenzio" I prefer the version by Nin Rosso.

Then we have another trumpet solo by Ken Thorne and his orchestra , the theme tune from a rather second rate film "The Legions Last Patrol"

nice phil.my mom loved trumpet music. the one from the alamo but i cant remember the name

Last edited by a moderator:

The other two instrumental pieces that will always grab my attention are "Il Silenzio" I prefer the version by Nin Rosso.

Then we have another trumpet solo by Ken Thorne, the theme tune from a rather second rate film "The Legions Last Patrol"

well phil i have just spent 10 mins tingling from top to toe and going goose bumpy with tears in my eyes...stunning video...i used to always go to the symphany hall for the st georges day concert until it was stopped...i shall now go and have a cup of tea and gather myself together :D

lyn

Then we have another trumpet solo by Ken Thorne, the theme tune from a rather second rate film "The Legions Last Patrol"

great phil best so far i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back