• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What is this building?

phil..i can only find a chapel st..just by dale end...so im confused now...

we may have to wait for froth to see if he has anymore info on which church his parents were married at....

lyn

Phil
Below is a 1910 map and i reckon, from that , that the church was about where the bloe spot is on the google map
Mike

Mike

That looks about the location of the old pay & display car park, and its also local to Frothblowers photo. Have you got a OS map of the top of Bordesley St showing from Allison St to Park Rd. It might be of some help.

Phil

The entrance, and the building, look remarkably similar to the ex, stables that the Birmingham Dairy Co Ltd had in Old Cross Street.
Could the use have been something similar, possibly to do with the Moor Street Goods Depot?

I'm still not sure what number (if any) the building would have been. I can’t find any reference to a dairy, going back till before Moor St was built. Back in the late 19th century no 2 was a lodging house with no 2½ being a builders yard. I can imagine this as the entrance to a builders yard, but am doubtful if it could be that early.
M ike

Just caught up with this post. I think the answer is fairly simple really. The premises were and I suppose stil are Nos 1 and 1A Bordesley Street. That's on the south side, just after you turn in from Park Street. You can see one of the enormous street lamps in Park St.
In 1956 No 1A was Wood & Lister Ltd, brass manufacturers, and No. 1 was Innes Smith & Co Ltd, wine merchants. In 1973 it was all run by Wenman's Motor Body Repairs Ltd.
It certainly was never a vicarage - I would say always an industrial building or warehouse. The incumbent of St Bartholomew's was far too posh to live locally - his address in 1904 was Duchess Road Edgbaston. They had a curate, but he probably lived in digs somwhere.
Peter

think you have it Peter explains unit 1A 1956 Brass Manufacturers and it would explain the length of the building Frothy:);)

Mike

That looks about the location of the old pay & display car park, and its also local to Frothblowers photo. Have you got a OS map of the top of Bordesley St showing from Allison St to Park Rd. It might be of some help.

Phil

Yes I've always thought it was where the car park is. there is remnants of a wall round parts of the car park, which could be the church.

Frothy, if you look at Mikejee's map again, you can see how the old St Bart's Church was slightly to the left as you look along Park Street, and just past Duddeston Row, or Albert Street as it now called. In other words the likely location of the old church is right at the top of your plan, just to the left of the line of Park Street. St Bartholomew's churchyard surrounded the church.
The burial grounds off Park Street were laid out after an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1807 to improve St Martin's churchyard, by knocking down a lot of the buildings which encroached on it, and adding a two-acre overflow area for burials to the east of Park Street at a cost of nearly £8000. This must soon have become full, and the Warstone Lane cemetery, which was opened in the 1830s, took later burials until Witton Cemetery opened 50 or so years later . The Park Street grounds were already a disgrace, and were taken over by the council as and opened to the public as a park, by the mayor, Richard Chamberlain on 25 June 1880. According to my source (Robert K Dent: The Making of Birmingham), St Bartholomew's churchyard was similarly improved at about the same time.
Peter

Frothy, if you look at Mikejee's map again, you can see how the old St Bart's Church was slightly to the left as you look along Park Street, and just past Duddeston Row, or Albert Street as it now called. In other words the likely location of the old church is right at the top of your plan, just to the left of the line of Park Street. St Bartholomew's churchyard surrounded the church.
The burial grounds off Park Street were laid out after an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1807 to improve St Martin's churchyard, by knocking down a lot of the buildings which encroached on it, and adding a two-acre overflow area for burials to the east of Park Street at a cost of nearly £8000. This must soon have become full, and the Warstone Lane cemetery, which was opened in the 1830s, took later burials until Witton Cemetery opened 50 or so years later . The Park Street grounds were already a disgrace, and were taken over by the council as and opened to the public as a park, by the mayor, Richard Chamberlain on 25 June 1880. According to my source (Robert K Dent: The Making of Birmingham), St Bartholomew's churchyard was similarly improved at about the same time.
Peter

Thanks Peter. Very interesting.
Do you think this is about right?

frothy like i said ive found a st barts church listed for chapel row but obviously the row no longer exists...still trying to get a pic of it for you..

lyn

Frothblower

It seems that the building had no connection with St Bart's then. My money is still on a Stables & Coach house though.

Photo's of St Bart's are as hard to find as the proverbial rocking horse manure. Perhaps this will do until one comes along.

Phil

Attachments

• City St Bartholomews Church Masshouse Lane.JPG
    City St Bartholomews Church Masshouse Lane.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 2
nice one phil..ive been searching since last night for a pic of st barts....i was beginning to think it was all in frothys mind....:D:D:D

lyn

cheers mike...frothy will be pleased as his mom and dad were married at st barts.....

lyn:)

Frothblower

It seems that the building had no connection with St Bart's then. My money is still on a Stables & Coach house though.

Photo's of St Bart's are as hard to find as the proverbial rocking horse manure. Perhaps this will do until one comes along.

Phil

Nice one Phil, thanks

Oh Dear, I've done it again.
First of all, can I apologize to everyone who as been looking for Bartholomew church. I've been told by a family member, that my parents were not married in this church,I always thought it was. They were married at St. Judes hill street. I thought Bartholomew's was a bit posh.
Once again,SORRY:rolleyes::blush:

Well I enjoyed it FB as the church was opposite where ancestors of mine once lived and worked.

oh frothy....:headhit::headhit::headhit::headhit:

i surpose you want a pic of st judes now....????:crying::crying::crying:

lyn

Frothblower

I think it was demolished in late 19th century. I was wondering about the date of your parents wedding.

Is this the St Judes, where they were married.

Phil

Attachments

• City St Judes Hill St.jpg
    City St Judes Hill St.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1
yes it has froth...here it is...Lloyd posted it....thats another pint you owe me....:D:D:D

lyn:)

Oh Dear, I've done it again.
First of all, can I apologize to everyone who as been looking for Bartholomew church. I've been told by a family member, that my parents were not married in this church,I always thought it was. They were married at St. Judes hill street. I thought Bartholomew's was a bit posh.
Once again,SORRY:rolleyes::blush:
LOL Frothy you plonker :D good though enjoyed it:D

Back