• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What is this building?

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
I pass this place most weekends and often wonder what it's original use was. It's on Bordesley street near it's junction with Park street.
It was last used for cleaning cars.

Not sure, but it looks like a place I want to be inside of!!! Great looking place, I think my exploring gear needs cleaning off!

do you know what no it was at bordesly street and if i remember it right its almost oppersite the polish commutity club on the opersite side of the road
and if my memory serves me correctly it as always been a garage repair ever sindce i can remember when walking down to my grand parents coffee shop on the botom of new cannal st in the fifties it was jelfs on the corner where all the waste ground is the whole of that corner was my grand fathers B,B right back to typhoo tea
we had a back gate going into the typoo ware house and the big joing house next to it where all the parts was held for the jelfs and hintons [bertha ]check the no of bordesly st in the early fifties and you find that was a garage i cannot remember there names and the other little garage at the bottom of the rd was always there
as well only they sold petrol as well best wishes astonian ;;

do you know what no it was at bordesly street and if i remember it right its almost oppersite the polish commutity club on the opersite side of the road
and if my memory serves me correctly it as always been a garage repair ever sindce i can remember when walking down to my grand parents coffee shop on the botom of new cannal st in the fifties it was jelfs on the corner where all the waste ground is the whole of that corner was my grand fathers B,B right back to typhoo tea
we had a back gate going into the typoo ware house and the big joing house next to it where all the parts was held for the jelfs and hintons [bertha ]check the no of bordesly st in the early fifties and you find that was a garage i cannot remember there names and the other little garage at the bottom of the rd was always there
as well only they sold petrol as well best wishes astonian ;;

Cheers astonian.
I only remember it being used as a garage and a car wash.Surely it must have been built for something else, it seems too ornate.
Go for it Virusman26

as i remember it the build dezignis anorinional arches the gates appeared
later years on well after the polish community was built late sixty.s
what it was in the thirtys i do not know but from the fort.s that what it was
the cafe just a little way past there walking down the rd hill was there in the old days as well along with the jelfs cafe they done the passing trade andjelfshad all the catle men and lorry drivers for typhoo tea and market delivery men whom brought the cattle to digbeth they used to bring them down to the bridges or the arches what ever you want to call them on a sunday then they would walk them down to the hide and skin next door along on new cannal st best wishes astonian ,;

Anybody know where the vicarage for Saint Bartholomew's was located because the building looks like the stable's & carriage block for a large house. Even if it was not for the vicarage I'm sure there would have been other large houses in the area.

Phil

Anybody know where the vicarage for Saint Bartholomew's was located because the building looks like the stable's & carriage block for a large house. Even if it was not for the vicarage I'm sure there would have been other large houses in the area.

Phil

That sounds very feasible Phil

frothy..did you see a number anywhere on it....or on any buidings nearby...

lyn:)

Frothy not that its of any use but it is unit 1A and those "garage doors" are of later origin ie not original:D

there was no large houses on bordesley st in the forties on wards
they was all the same as they aretoday the same type of what you can se walking down mate if i get chance i will drive down to brum myself tomorrow and take the picture and locate the number to verify like i said previously get the number of the building and check the 1950,s or the 40.s kelly directories
it was a house but later in the mid fifties it changed jelf left new cannal st in 1955
i went down to se the new owners of the coffee shop a bout 6 moths later and it became abit of a garage but not with those doors because that had probable changed hands again in the sixtyies and they probaly put those gates up i think it was around the 59 or 60 the polish commutity building was built

i still say phils stab at it sounds good but we need to go back much further to the early 1900s or even before that...once we have a number maybe someone will do a kellys look up....

ps...tom and froth...you can both behave...:headhit::headhit::headhit:

hi frothie
many thanks for down loading the map and out lay for us to see the actual building
i was right when i said it was oppersite the polish club but also origionaly the one side with the gates was and old little garage as i remember and casting my mind back in the forties it was just like a little exit with the old fashioned cars there you to be one of those little type pg tips van i do not know what they called them
the property next door had the two pillar walls in front of the house those particular house compared to the rest of the street was different they stood back from the pavement behind those pillars and the windows was old and long ways in with
and not like the ones further down the rd on the pavement and tall looking as they are today because in them days i used to look at this property when i walked my grand parents dog up there and through what i called a park oppersite which i think you called bartho church well that was noy around in them days when i used to go there except horris the parkie or should i say horris the copper from digbeth nick
but getting back on track those two propertys was seperate and they have been knocked into two propertys and the actual arches have also been haded to the place
you have said you may think it would have been connected to the church well the left hand side of the property may have been when i think how it reflected to me in those days i never ever seen any coming or going of people in there and that was every sundaybut the main side with the actual white rounded gates have been added and that was some kind of a repair shop that i do know but the left side of these propertys was an house and the left hand side was with the property with two walls out side of it and you would have had to walk between them to knock the door
as i saidand so as somone else get the number of the property and check kellys reg for the previous years before the forties orthe forties and you will get your answer
have a nice day best wishes astonian [ if my mother was around or her parents the jelfsthey could have resolved your question ]

i still say phils stab at it sounds good but we need to go back much further to the early 1900s or even before that...once we have a number maybe someone will do a kellys look up....

ps...tom and froth...you can both behave...:headhit::headhit::headhit:

Have a look at the old maps Peter gave you, you never know, may see something.

hi frothie
many thanks for down loading the map and out lay for us to see the actual building
i was right when i said it was oppersite the polish club but also origionaly the one side with the gates was and old little garage as i remember and casting my mind back in the forties it was just like a little exit with the old fashioned cars there you to be one of those little type pg tips van i do not know what they called them
the property next door had the two pillar walls in front of the house those particular house compared to the rest of the street was different they stood back from the pavement behind those pillars and the windows was old and long ways in with
and not like the ones further down the rd on the pavement and tall looking as they are today because in them days i used to look at this property when i walked my grand parents dog up there and through what i called a park oppersite which i think you called bartho church well that was noy around in them days when i used to go there except horris the parkie or should i say horris the copper from digbeth nick
but getting back on track those two propertys was seperate and they have been knocked into two propertys and the actual arches have also been haded to the place
you have said you may think it would have been connected to the church well the left hand side of the property may have been when i think how it reflected to me in those days i never ever seen any coming or going of people in there and that was every sundaybut the main side with the actual white rounded gates have been added and that was some kind of a repair shop that i do know but the left side of these propertys was an house and the left hand side was with the property with two walls out side of it and you would have had to walk between them to knock the door
as i saidand so as somone else get the number of the property and check kellys reg for the previous years before the forties orthe forties and you will get your answer
have a nice day best wishes astonian [ if my mother was around or her parents the jelfsthey could have resolved your question ]

Thanks for that mate.
I don't won't to go off topic too much.Anyone got a photo of the Church that was there.My Mom and Dad got married at that Church.
Maybe post it on another thread.:)

Frothblower

I have looked in Kelly's for 1903 there is no commercial properties between no 1 (a Wine Merchant) and No 9 (Dining Rooms). The Car Valeting Service as it is now is listed as no 2 in modern directories.

I think you may assume it was part of a private dwelling.

Are you talking about a photo of St Bartholomew's, as there are one or two engravings of drawings about, but you may be hard put to find a photo.

Phil

hi phil..i know frothys looking for a pic of st bartholomews church but which one...i have found 2 i think...one in priory road edgbaston and another opposite chapel row....not sure which one he wants....

There was a school there in 1870's no other information this school there was also a builldings for pigs and horse slaughtering

hi phil..i know frothys looking for a pic of st bartholomews church but which one...i have found 2 i think...one in priory road edgbaston and another opposite chapel row....not sure which one he wants....

Lyn

I think he is looking for the one that was in the locality of the photo that is the subject of this thread. Which excludes the one in Edgbaston. Where is Chapel Row?. St Bartholomew's was in the area of Duddeston Row, Bartholomew St, Park Rd, Masshouse area. Don't ask me to pinpoint it, but I think it may have been where the pay & display car park used to be off Dale End.

Phil

Back