• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

West Bromwich Cemeteries

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I'm trying to trace the burial of Silvanus (Sylvanus) Maybury whose death is registered in the first quarter of 1840 in West Bromwich. I thought he would be at All Saints Church but the burial doesn't come up on Ancestry as far as I can see. He seems to have had quite a connection to that church. I was trying to find out which other burial places were open at this time but so far without success. Any ideas about where to look next please?

Silvanus owned quite a lot of land in various places on the Erdington/Sutton border and left money to the General Hospital in Birmingham although he lived all his life in West Bromwich. He also had some connection to Sutton Coldfield.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

He comes up as buried at All Saints, West Brom on FreeReg - 18 Mar 1840, abode given as New Cross Guns.

Thank you MWS - I don't know anything about FreeReg so must investigate. I tried everything I could think of so this is good news and I can see whether there's a gravestone now. Thanks again.

Sorry, forgot to say that I have Silvanus' will and apart from a few small bequests to family members he seems to have left all his real estate to the pub landlord and his son - your information explains why if he'd gone to live there in later years. Thanks.

Pen - not sure if this helps.
There is an auction in June 1840 at the directon of Sylvanus's executors of a property in Bratt Street.
1687101592667.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you Janice, that's wonderful!

Sylvanus lived in Bratt Street but I had no idea what his house was like. I have his will detailing a lot of land which he owned in Erdington and Sutton and I can now go to the West Bromwich Archives (if they still exist) and find out a little more about his house.

Again, thanks.

Penny

Back