• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Weoley Castle - Alwold Road

S

Salvator

Does anyone know where the Salvation Army hall was in Alwold Road? I don't think it is still there :( - but if anyone knows where it was, or has a photograph of the building, I would be most obliged.

Salvator type Alwold rd into the search box at top right of page. Alwold rd has been mentioned a few times in the past.

I believe it was about half way down from the castle pub towards the old weoley castle site it was a painted white with a notice board outside but this was in the late 50's, it used to play it's band around Christmas in weoley castle square.
paul

Hello all,
I am sure the Castle pub is on Somerford road and it was the California pub that was at the start of Alwold Rd. I am not 100% sure but I think the building was left at the first roundabout adjacent to the green hill (as it was locally known) and about 100 yds on the right.

Simon

It was the Calafornia pub, my mate Derek Eagles and family lived on Alwold Road, I remember green hill in winter when we used old trays and boards to sledge down it.
paul

Hello all,
I am sure the Castle pub is on Somerford road and it was the California pub that was at the start of Alwold Rd. I am not 100% sure but I think the building was left at the first roundabout adjacent to the green hill (as it was locally known) and about 100 yds on the right.

Simon are you saying that the Salvation Army hall was on Somerford Road, not Alwold Road?

Hello,
No sorry the California pub was Alwold rd not the Castle pub. Having said that there was a Hall behind Fine Fare between the Square and Ilmington Rd. This would be off Somerford Rd I would be talking about mid seventies onwards,hope this helps.

Simon

I believe it was about half way down from the castle pub towards the old weoley castle site it was a painted white with a notice board outsidel
So the hall was between the California pub and the old Weoley Castle site was it? Does anyone have a picture of the Salvation Army hall?

I am absolutly sure it was between the California and the old castle, a sort of square building with a portico and notice board and small fence.
paul

I am absolutly sure it was between the California and the old castle, a sort of square building with a portico and notice board and small fence.
paul
Would there be a photo of this building anywhere? Was this on the same side as the old castle, or on t'other side?

The same side as the castle.about half way down, I really would not know if any photo's are in circulaton, but there were many of the Elam Church on the Castle Square so I would imagin so.
paul

Hi Here is a photo to ponder over

Image2_Castle_Square_Weoley_Castle.jpg

regards Stars

the salvation army hut was situated in alwold road about 80yards from barnes hill on the left opposite napton grove. i used to live in Dormston Drive on what was a new housing estate behind the hut, i used it as a short cut to get to Browns newsagents for my paper round.that was during the big freeze of 1962,63. i was aged 10.

the salvation army hut was situated in alwold road about 80yards from barnes hill on the left opposite napton grove. i used to live in Dormston Drive on what was a new housing estate behind the hut, i used it as a short cut to get to Browns newsagents for my paper round.that was during the big freeze of 1962,63. i was aged 10.

I had a mate called Mike Fitzgerald who lived in one of the groves off Alwold, did anyone know him or his brother Pete.
paul

This is weoley castle 'square'. Showing alley up to Library and community centre.
The hut the back of Finefayre was a scout hut belonging to the Community church which stood next to Finefayre.

If there are any pictures of the Salvation Hut, your best bet is to try Weoley Castle Library they often put on Photo exhibitions in the foyer of Weoley Castle and surrounding area. The address is 76 Beckbury Road, phone number 01214641664. Good luck.
jimbo

Hi Here is a photo to ponder over

Image2_Castle_Square_Weoley_Castle.jpg

regards Stars
This is weoley castle 'square'. Showing alley up to Library and community centre.
The hut the back of Finefayre was a scout hut belonging to the Community church which stood next to Finefayre

I always thought that was the "Square Club" down that passage, I don't remember any "Finefare" only John Favours on that side, certainly not between 1958/64.
paul

I always thought that was the "Square Club" down that passage, I don't remember any "Finefare" only John Favours on that side, certainly not between 1958/64.
paul

Fine fare was built in the late 1960's early 1970. The congregational church which stood on the square sold the land to develop the supermarket and built a purpose built Community Church on quarry rd accessed from the rear supermarket carpark, on the site of the old scout hut.
The square club is at the opposite end of the photo to the right, next to Edith cadbury nursery school on Somerford rd.
I remember Lawrences, college radio, the Municipal bank and Co-op from the 1960's, including the prefabs on the centre of the island :unconscious:
Karen

Would that have been the "ELIM", church Karen!!,which was not far from Dr Judges surgery, and the entrance to the little park with the slide and swings. My old mate "Paddy Magill", used to live in the prefabs on the square, the Ilmington Road School annex, was behind the OffLicence and bus shelter. I went to the Square Club, when Marcasson, and John Hughes were the leaders.

Would that have been the "ELIM", church Karen!!,which was not far from Dr Judges surgery, and the entrance to the little park with the slide and swings. My old mate "Paddy Magill", used to live in the prefabs on the square, the Ilmington Road School annex, was behind the OffLicence and bus shelter. I went to the Square Club, when Marcasson, and John Hughes were the leaders.

No that was on the opposite side of the 'square'. The doctors surgery has gone and a new library, medical centre and nursery school has been built on the site. the park still exists tho, without slides and swings. The library has lots of historical photos.

Karen

Thanks for the info Karen, it has been many years since I lived there (51yrs), and the memory is a little flaky, I can see now the paper shop a bit further down on your photo is the one I did a paper round for "can't remember there name.
paul

Here is a couple more photo's of Weoley Castle

By Davies 1936
Image2.jpg

By Davies 1936
Image5 Weoley Castle.jpg

By W.Green 1938
Image3.jpg

Regards Stars

Great photos stars, #1 is exactly as I remember it in the late fiftys with the exception that the prefabs were there then, the bus shelter was still there, the post office was the first sweet shop to sell the fabled "Jubblie" frozen orange pyramid drink in about 1960, the church mentioned doubled up as the school for Ilmington Road annex, the house type building was the M&B "Offie" , facing John Favours grocery shop.
paul

Back