• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Weoley Castle - Alwold Road

My daughter went to one of the nurseries on the square before going to 'big' school. We lived in Weoley Avenue and we used to use her scooter to scoot through Lodge Hill Cemetry and then onto the square. There was also a Lawrences at the bottom of Weoley Avenue.

Did't know you hailed from Weoley Castle Carolina, you don't say what years, I wonder if you knew our Marailyn or Jayne.
paul

Paul I lived there in 1969 - 1972 my first house when I got married. Moved to Bournville Village Trust and back to Weoley Park Road in 1976. My ex lived in Swinford Road and went to Ilmington School.

Carolina, and Pam, we lived in Milcote Road off Quarry Hill, from 1958/1964, so a little before your time, I can recall Swinford Rd, but I cannot recall Corisande, I had a girl friend in Weoley Park Road called, Jane can't remember what number though, she went to Bartley green Grammer School for Girls, really posh my dad used to say, I have many happy memories from that time.
paul

Paul we lived at No 67 which was the Bristol Road end. I also went to Bartley Green, but it was the grammar school then. As you dad said very posh!!

Thank you for replying I cannot tell you how comforting it is for me to hear from you about a place and time I loved and enjoyed, I actually left in 1962, my family in 64, I did go home there a couple of times on leave, I went to our Lady of St Rose of Lima, and Ilmington Road Secondry Modern, (known to all as the Cow Sheds). paul

Paul
Corisande Road comes just in Selly Oak, it is at Lodge Hill cemetery end of Alwold Road
I went to Jervoise Road school from 1946 to 1953 and Ilmington from 1953 to Dec 1956

A little before my time Pam, I now know where your road was thanks, but you were at Imo too, very small world, the best job at Ilmington Boys was the milk monitor, which I was, this was because we got to get into the Girls school carrying the crates of milk, so were able to speak to them, and pass notes!!
Happy Christmas to you all,Paul.

Does anyone live in or around Inglemere Drive, I am trying to find a relative and that was the last known address. Thanks

Dear paul, I lived in Weoley Castle from 1955 to 1967, i also went to our Lady and st Rose, then went on to Archbishop masterson, caught the coach every day from outside St Roses. I did know a girl called Maralyn Stacey she was a bit younger than me. I remember so much about the square, Lawrences, The Co op, The Larder, College Radio, the square park and 'the woods'.
Anna

Hello Anna, yes, my sister Marilyn went to ABM, each day on the Coach, what was your surname then? maybe I would remember you too as I was at OLOSROL too. I was in Robert Sampsons class.
regards
paul

Hi Paul really sorry for delayed reply, my computer is ancient and sometimes has a mind of its own! My maiden name was Carney, I had a younger sister Madeline. I remember Mr McKenna from St Rose, Mother Martina was the headmistress, I think a nun had the top class when i was there but not sure of her name now. I have lots of good memories of Weoley castle, i think you mentioned Dr judge, there was also Dr King, they were great docs really part of the community. Do you remember the duck pond and the waste land next to it? We used to call it 'the dump' and we walked across it to get to the annexe

Sorry computer ran away with itself again before i finished! meant to say annexe was in weoley park rd i think also remember the new shops being built near the duck pond Regards Anna

hi anna, "Happy new year 2013", I am sorry but as I am 66 now and not lived in weoley castle since 1962 I can't recall your name, yes Mr Mckenna, (Brut), Father O'Reilly, another Brut, Mother Mary Martina, I think that the nun in charge of the "Annex" was young Sister Rosa, lovely lady, yes I do remember the 'Dump', rounders round the duck pond in summer and skating in the winter of 62/63, I do remember Dr King. Mother Martina was especially strict with us boys and very rarely was nice or kind, " at my 1st communion I think she smiled a couple of times. I visited the school in 64 in my army uniform and I said my Regiment was due deployment overseas, she cooly shook my hand. When I was leaving I was half way across the playgound when I heard running footsteps I turned and she ran up to me and put her arms around me and said "God Bless you Paul", I was quite embarassed I can tell you!!. Regards paul

Happy new year to you as well paul, and to every other Weoley Castler. Father O'Reilly yes i remember him, and benediction in the school hall every thursday funny the things you remember. I'd love to go and have a look at the old school again but it probably wouldnt be allowed nowadays. Im 63 now so would have been a big gap when we were at St Roses, you would have seemed very grown up to me then! Do you remember a family called Holloway from Illmington? they were our neighbours in Barcheston rd. Anna

Hello any of you Weoley Castle members remember a family called Brown, father Albert worked for Dares the builders as a Supervisor and the Mother Doreen ( I think) worked at the Q E as a cleaning supervisor, I knew their Daughter Jeanette when she worked for Ryland Garage back in the early sixties. Just wondered what happened to them as I remember catching the night service bus bus back to town on a number of occasions, first time that I'd been on a bus that went so fast :)

I seem to remember a Mick Holloway, Anna, somehow some where, Barcheston Road? was that the road which ran behind the square park, and down towards Gregory Avenue, and the Raven Pub??
Paul

yes thats the road Paul, our back garden backed the entrance to the square park. Wrong Holloways though, it was a malcholm next door to us, but thinking about it he would be a bit older than you. Anna

Hi Anna, do you remember me Rob Hawkins one of the twins at number 20, I was always knocking around with David Arthur and Terry Chatwin they lived a couple of doors away. You lived in the 2nd house next to Malcolm Holloway, Iremember Mr Fisher kept telling us off for playing on the corner. you had a younger sister Madeline didnt you? I remember the square with prefabs in the middle and the shops, Larder, Nixs paper shop Fred and Marys hairdressers. I also remember the duck pond and the dump. Dr King was our doctor and Judge after him, happy days wernt they. regards Rob

HI ROB ;
My daughter is married into the holloway tree , but afew years back in time i met an old neibour and friend and worked along side of him
his name was albert and his wife was vera ;from around your neck of woods ; is there any possibllity that they may be connect to you in any way ;
and they have relie living in greenland rd selly park ; or at one time ;they have moved from selly park ;his name was john ;
incidently albert was or his a roofer ; in his ime ; he must be well retired now ;
best wishes astonian;;;

hi Astonian, sorry those names dont ring a bell, it was a long time ago but the Holloway family I knew had 2 children, Malcolm and Maderline and maybe another daughter but not sure. Maybe your friend is connected to one of those,hope this helps regards Rob.

The other day I had occasion to drive across the Weoley Castle Estate and thought for old time sake I would have a look at the Raven Pub at the end of Gregory Avenue, then I thought I would have a look at the Stonehouse Pub at the top of Stonehouse Hill – snapshots attached……

z - Raven.JPGz - Stonehouse.JPG

Regards, John M

A little reminder of at least some of those days of yore.

Attachments

• Weoley Castle Weoley Castle Rd Raven.jpg
    Weoley Castle Weoley Castle Rd Raven.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 55
Anyone remember the DENNIS family from that area, I did my National Service with John Dennis.
Wonder if he's still around.

Well John M. Thank you for those photos, even though they saddened me, I lived in Swinford rd and remember both pubs, they were wonderful buildings, especially the Stonehouse, such a shame to see them go.

My ex lived in Swinford Road and the first time I met my in-laws was in The Stonehouse. The comments 'dont like her long hair' perhaps I should have had the italian boy like the ma in law. Can you imagine that in the 60s!!

Back