• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Waverley Grammar School

Hello Pete,I think I just missed you.
I left in 1953,did a year at Posr Office Supplies Dept in Bordesley Green,then into RAOC.
I remember most of the teachers though, "Fred ' Whiteley,the Beak/Boss,a timid looking man
who frightened the life out of all the kids,Scotty,yhe deputy head and many more,the sadistic
and violent "Jimmy " Wilde for instance.No doubt you have similar memories.
Tojo.
I started at Waverley at the same time as a new Head. He was Earnest Hill, an ex army officer, we all called him Ernie, but not in his hearing. He was a keen disciplinarian who had the annoying habit of talking you into agreeing with him that you deserved the cane across your backside before administering the same. Which he did to me many times, I may say, although always justifiably. Give him his due though, he refused point blank to cane me every day as requested by my farther. Scotty was always away with the fairies as I recall.

I went to Waverley Grammar School from Jan 1962 until Dec 1962.
I was in 2L and then 3L for the back half of the year.
I was from Adelaide, South Australia and wondered about some of the people in those classes and some of the staff.
Mr Mills was the Deputy who would take a fellow from South Africa and me for French catch-up lessons.
I seem to remember a maths teacher named Ms Mennet/?? who was very supportive. I also remember an unpleasant Science teacher who seemed to detest me as I had absolutely no background in Science given I had just completed primary school in Australia.
Any photos?
I also remember a really nice girl called Brenda Marshall.

I eventually became a school teacher and ended up as the principal of area schools, 5 year olds to 18 year olds in our regions.
Hello Brian - this is rather a late reply, as I've not been on this forum for too long. I'm Michael Poole, I was at Waverley from 1961-67. I remember you from the 3L days. I was just perusing the history of this stream, when your name popped up. I hope you are keeping well.

Back