• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Watery Lane

Watery Lane in the '30's! Granddads shop to the extreme left on the first picture and the White Hart pub on the opposite corner, nearest the camera

Attachments

• Watery Lane, with granddads shop on corner of Keeley Street (2).jpg
    Watery Lane, with granddads shop on corner of Keeley Street (2).jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Watery Lane 1930's.png
    Watery Lane 1930's.png
    440.8 KB · Views: 45
In the last picture above, no 200, where I lived, is the 4th door down from the camera, next to the wide opening which led to the courtyard at the back and the outside loos!!

That's a super set of photos Lyn, I remember the High Stool Café; frequented the place a few time while working at East and West Lodge Parmer St
I worked at the High Stool in the 60's! I got the sack from there as I told 2 old ladies, who asked if we used 'real' butter on the toast, that it was in fact Stork margarine. If you had margarine on toast, it was Echo!! I was so disgusted by this state of affairs, I couldn't go along with it!! My boss overheard and I was out of there as soon as the old ladies disappeared!!!

Does anyone remember the transport company in Watery Lane. I think it was Stensons Mansells and G B Knight.

Hi

I have various members of my Rogers family living in Watery Lane from about 1917 to at least 1955. Addresses were, 5 back 211, 4 back 211 and 5 court 26.
It seems any pictures or maps that were on this thread have now disappeared? Would it be possible to post some of them again please as I would like to try and pinpoint Watery Lane.

Many thanks
Suzanne
just thought you would be interested but we must have moved into 4/211 watery lane just after your family moved out my name is Tony Malloy and me and my family lived there for 10 years or so

What a super image, it certainly looks like a Nicklin photo. The Brer Rabbit became “The High Stool Café” The building in the centre of the picture is East Lodge, used by the Housing Department to provide accommodation for people who had been evicted. Very basic accommodation, painted brick walls, asphalt floors with shared bathrooms on the landings.

Hello Sheri,

There were other Public Houses in Watery Lane.

number 3 Watery Lane- Sailors Return

185 The Barrel Inn

12 Coachsmith Arms

222 The Crown and Anchor ( known to many Locals as The Anchor )

Bo
Further down was the White Hart, number 215 Watery Lane. My granddad had a bicycle hire shop across the road, that was number 216!! I think they were demolished after 1930's because I found them in Glover street on the next census Watery Lane, with granddads shop on corner of Keeley Street.jpgWatery Lane, with granddads shop on corner of Keeley Street.jpgWatery Lane unknown date.jpg

Attachments

• 6 Court, 68-71 Watery Lane.png
    6 Court, 68-71 Watery Lane.png
    394.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Watery Lane 1930's (4).png
    Watery Lane 1930's (4).png
    440.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Watery Lane 1950's.jpg
    Watery Lane 1950's.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 12
  • Watery Lane 68-71.png
    Watery Lane 68-71.png
    366.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi everyone. Not been on here for a while. I've just downloaded some photo's of Watery Lane. I'm interested because my granddad had a bicycle hire shop there and in the 1960's I was given 200 Watery Lane, where I lived for a few years!!
When I looked on the 1911 census I think it was, 7 people were living there, including 2 chimney sweeps!! Heaven knows how they managed!

I have been watching the Peaky Blinders and as you say it is set around the areas you mentioned including Adderley Street. It is obvious they could not film in those areas now

due to the update of that area, so as I understand it is filmed partly in Leeds and partly in the Black Country Museum.
I loved the Peaky Blinders, but looking at the mock-up of the street, if you wanted the loo, you would have to run to the end of the road, turn right and find your loo between all the others!! Imagine!!! there wasn't an entry in sight!

I guessed it was not filmed in Watery lane as the last time I was there none of the old back to back left its still good to watch did you live in the lane it was a lovely place
Yes, I lived at no 200. Quite happy there till we were infested by bed bugs from new neighbours! haaha But they were all friendly people, you could leave your door unlocked at all times!
No 200 was opposite a little grocery shop, run by a young couple, they had a new baby there, but I can't remember their names!!
xxxx

Commentary to the above photograph of Watery Lane, taken circa 1960 [?]. This is the only photograph I have ever come across showing this part of Watery Lane and also where my Grandparents David John and Leah Kettle lived for 1905, where my Mother and myself were born, at No 89. The photograph has been taken from close to the corner of Kingston Hill and is the side running from Adderley St towards the canal bridge beyond Keeley St. When I lived there the metal merchants plot was just a bomb site cleared of rubble. The shop was owned by a Mrs Quinney - who legend had it kept a 5lb tin of red pepper in her bedroom, ready to throw it over any German troops who might have made it to Watery Lane in WWII!. Mrs Quinney made a killing with the pepper once the war was over. Following to road to the right, the No 19 bus stop is outside a large entry down where my best mate, David Hoccom, lived. Further along is a bombed out gap where we "minded" parked cars during any football matches at St Andrews. At this point it is perhaps better to count chimney pots...... the last double set is No 89 where I lived. By 1945 the last two remaining houses of No 5 Court had been bombed out, Wiseman's Metal works loomed over the back yard, and a busy semi open air Wood Yard was after our house. Semi open air because most of the roof had gone when it was bombed. The white vertical line immediately below the last two chimney pots is a reflection of David John's double fronted shop window. He seems to have had a thriving business in the repair and hire of bicycles and vulcanising anything he could get his hands on! David John died in November 1940, and Leah died in January 1961
That is interesting, I have a wedding certificate for my Great Grandparents, Thomas James Jones and Eliza Bramley in 1885. Their residence on the certificate shows 87 Watery Lane. Assuming the numbers were odds and evens as today, it is probable that they lived in the house next door.

That is interesting, I have a wedding certificate for my Great Grandparents, Thomas James Jones and Eliza Bramley in 1885. Their residence on the certificate shows 87 Watery Lane. Assuming the numbers were odds and evens as today, it is probable that they lived in the house next door.
No, the house numbers weren't odds and evens Mike. My next door neighbours were 199 and 201. My granddads shop was 216 and the White Hart pub was 215, both on the same side as me.

Last edited:
No, the house numbers weren't odds and evens Mike. My next door neighbours were 199 and 201!
That is a bit of a disappointment, I have no idea why my great grandparents lived in Watery Lane it is sort of out of context with where they lived before and after, but attached is the wedding cert. I also downloaded the attached photo and was hoping it was one of the houses at the far end, it may still be if they were numbers sequentially or could be just out of shot.

Attachments

• 1885_Marriage_TJJones_ElizaBramly_Crop.jpg
    1885_Marriage_TJJones_ElizaBramly_Crop.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Watery Lane-Enhanced.jpg
    Watery Lane-Enhanced.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 15
How can I get to see the pictures that are being mentioned please?
Not sure but assume you are asking me about the photos from my previous post. They should show up as an attachment or thumbnails, are you saying they don't? I have trouble downloading any images of here these days, when I try photo viewer tells me there is an error with them. Very strange but I can see the photos I posted in my post.

Back