• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Watery Lane

Does anyone know anything about Watery Lane, Aston. I know all the back to backs have gone but I wondered if anyone had any old photos. Various members of my families lived there for about 80 years.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Sheri
:wave:

HI sheri,
I have a photograph of my g grandparents who ran a grocers shop in Watery Lane. My G Grandad died in 1928 they are pictured outside the shop and his name was Frederick G Purser. I have to find out how to put it on here.
Joycelynn

hello formula t I posted a reply a week or two ago but just i pressed to post my internet went down so I ended up not knowing you got my reply or not so hear i go again the shop run by Mr & Mrs gaunt I can remember the bacon slicing machine they cut bacon and corn beef on the same machine they cut cheese with a wire they let people have things on the strap in other words credit they come back many years collect money they
were still owed Mr gaunt was a cripple. in the lane there was a shop run by Mrs qiney a little old lady. please forgive me if I got the spelling of quiney wrong by for now edward

Hi

I have various members of my Rogers family living in Watery Lane from about 1917 to at least 1955. Addresses were, 5 back 211, 4 back 211 and 5 court 26.
It seems any pictures or maps that were on this thread have now disappeared? Would it be possible to post some of them again please as I would like to try and pinpoint Watery Lane.

Many thanks
Suzanne

Suzanne
Not sure what maps were on before, but court 26 is the same as back of 211, and is shown in red on the c 1910 map.

ct_26_watery_lane__mapA_c_1910.jpg

hI
Hi got your message and have looked to see what pictures I had of Watery Lane
only able to find these 3. The first is Watery Lane as it is today and it runs from the Island junction with Great Barr St /Lawley Street/Garrison Lane. The second is a picture of the Barrel Pub that used to be on the corner of Watery Lane and Kingston Hill (which is the left of picture) The shop after the pub on Kingston Hill used to owed by Shepherd family. Finally the last picture shows the Sailors Return which again was on the corner of Watery Lane and Gt Barr St (which is off to the right) If you want to find detailed maps of the area you can get plenty off the internet or Google Eart in both Map and satelite form. I lived in Watery Lane when I was very very young and have very little memory except that I believe we lived above a greengrocers which was on the oposite corner to the Barrel Pub and I guess we must have move to Lower Trinity st whilst I was still ayoung child but we stayed in the area and I attended school at Ada Road (St Andrews)

I have various members of my Rogers family living in Watery Lane from about 1917 to at least 1955. Addresses were, 5 back 211, 4 back 211 and 5 court 26.
It seems any pictures or maps that were on this thread have now disappeared? Would it be possible to post some of them again please as I would like to try and pinpoint Watery Lane.

Many thanks
Suzanne

The aforementioned images have now been replaced

John

What is also interesting is that my 1st cousin 1 removed, Violet Lilian Rogers, who lived at 5 court 26, married a Charles Henry Noel Sheppard and then they moved to Gravelly Hill. Wonder if there is a connection between the shopowners you mention even thought the spelling is different?

Suzanne

Hi

Many thanks
Suzanne

hi suzanne...google birmingham lives...its carl chinns website and there are about 12 pics of watery lane on it...if you have any problems just get back to me...

lyn

hi suzanne...google birmingham lives...its carl chinns website and there are about 12 pics of watery lane on it...if you have any problems just get back to me...

lyn

Thanks for that Lyn. Will have a look now.

Suzanne

pic.jpg I came across a couple of pictures of Watery Lane Bordesley, i dont know if they have been posted before. But i noticed there were some missing due to the hacking problem. FT. looking toward Garrison Lane, the High Stool Cafe is just out of shot on the left.

pic 6.jpg Looking toward the Coventry Rd with Dart St on the left, also the building was once part of Mitchells Paper works.

Back