• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Warwickshire Occupations records

lulibell

master brummie
Hi all

I've been fascinated to find some of my ancestors and their neighbours in these records. They are searchable and I feel many of you will find them of interest too.

Just wanted to share and possibly start a discussion about them.

The jurors lists have been the most useful for me and I was quite surprised to find my impoverished ancestors amongst them.

In the hair powder records I found individuals described as 'inmate' within households, did inmate have a different meaning in the 18th century? I assume these people were working as well dressed servants... any ideas?

Enjoy discovering them...

Lu

Lulibell - what is the actual website you can click on to as there are several different ones shown in Google. Thanks Carol

Sorry Carol,
(I thought I'd mentioned where! )

These records can be found on ancestry and I've found out that inmate means/ meant then another person living in the house.

Lu

Thanks, I have ancestry. I thought perhaps it was an individual site. Yes, inmate certainly means something different to what we now know it as. Regards. Carol

Lulibelle, many thanks for this I have been onto Ancestry and found 4 entries for one of my relatives on the Jurors List. It seems on the 1849 he was a juror at Coventry Court Michaelmas Season. quoting 'Grand' - I dont know if that means Grand Jury.

But to save disappointment for those of you with only a basic subscription, you need to upgrade or buy pay as you go credits to view them.
Sue

Back