• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wain

ChrisArt

Brummie babby
The other shoulder: GGG Grandfather William Wain of 7 Regent Row, Birmingham married Elizabeth Gunn b Sourbridge, Warwick 1787 or an Elizabeth Harris. Census favors Harris... not sure which as family rumours were that mothers side has Scottish ancestry (supposed tartan handed through mothers side). A Master Brummie required on this one :)

GG Grandfather is William Henry Wain who married Eliza living next door at number 8. Eliza and her sister Emma were both seamstresses and their widowed mother Mary Turner (nee Sleaford (Edmund)), a button maker.

Have ordered book below to gain a sense of the life and times. I visited Birmingham in 2016 and wish I had more time than a good curry to explore Regent Row and the Birmingham sites. For now I'm enjoying the images on group posts.
Thanks, Christina

I assume you've seen the marriage for William Wain & Elizabeth Harris 31 Oct 1808, Aston.

I don't think there's a place called Sourbridge in Warwickshire. Findmypast lists it as Stanbridge, also not known. If incorrect there are a couple of options - Stonebridge, Sawbridge both Warwickshire or even Stourbridge Worcestershire. And there are probably others.

Other members might be able to help further, might be best to start a new thread so it's a bit more noticeable.

Hi MWS, yes I have seen the marriage for WW & EH. I shall explore your suggested options with fresh eyes and a new thread. Thanks for your help:)
Christina.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
There is a baptism for an Elizabeth Harris, 10 Sep 1786 in Old Swinford which is less than a mile from Stourbridge. Parents are Henry and Hannah, names that I see occur in William & Elizabeth's children but Harris is not an uncommon name so could be nothing.

The other shoulder: GGG Grandfather William Wain of 7 Regent Row, Birmingham married Elizabeth Gunn b Sourbridge, Warwick 1787 or an Elizabeth Harris. Census favors Harris... not sure which as family rumours were that mothers side has Scottish ancestry (supposed tartan handed through mothers side). A Master Brummie required on this one :)

GG Grandfather is William Henry Wain who married Eliza living next door at number 8. Eliza and her sister Emma were both seamstresses and their widowed mother Mary Turner (nee Sleaford (Edmund)), a button maker.

Have ordered book below to gain a sense of the life and times. I visited Birmingham in 2016 and wish I had more time than a good curry to explore Regent Row and the Birmingham sites. For now I'm enjoying the images on group posts.
Thanks, Christina
The book is available free on the Internet Archive.

Hi MWS, yes I have seen the marriage for WW & EH. I shall explore your suggested options with fresh eyes and a new thread. Thanks for your help:)
Christina.
I think I'll go with Elizabeth Harris.The Family Search IGI Individual Record shows the marriage of William Wain to Elizabeth Harris. The generational similarity of names regarding EH's parents names applied to her children's is a strong pull and I'm feeling Old Swinford, being in close vicinity of Stourbridge, the more appropriate location. Lead noted with many thanks MWS. Elizabeth Gunn will remain a mystery a while longer.

Best to all Brummies for Christmas and the New Year. Look forward to visiting your insights and expertise in the New Year with developing notes on ancestral Army discharge, mystery Canal work and a great grandmother born off Pt Said.

My sister in law was difficult to find when I was doing the tree her family, I thought, was named Baggot but I later found she was Betty Wain, a mystery I still haven't really explained.

My sister in law was difficult to find when I was doing the tree her family, I thought, was named Baggot but I later found she was Betty Wain, a mystery I still haven't really explained.
Hi Eric, I'll make note off that and keep you posted if I find an Elizabeth (Betty) Wain!

Back