• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tyseley Locomotive Works

I was never a big fan of the LMS mainly the GWR. But I did like seeing other lines locos from time to time. I always though the LMS numbering of locos looked better than BR's plates - as portrayed on Kolhapur 5593. One area of LMS interest was North Staffordshire where dirty black locos serving coal mines and steel works were to be seen; amongst them were those of the Knotty which were originally painted a red colour.
View attachment 137907 NRM photo
I'm a big GWR fan as well...Used to look at LMS but always got of the bus a Snow Hill to spot!

One I know of took over 30 years. Another one has only been started on this past year.

Most of those shown will be undergoing a 10 year overhaul. How long that takes depends on how the finances are organised. If there was an astute owner/owning group, and the monies had been set aside, one year is possible - just.
30 years wow how do people stay focused and how do you manage a resto job that long you must go through many team members.

I have a lot of experience with restoration and the time it takes along with the money the most for me was a little less than 1/2 million.

That said what is the cost of a restoration an a steam locomotive taking into account there are some for shunting and some that ran from London To Glasgow.

The schedule for us always came down to how much money people were prepared to spend a month and how inpatient they are, just throw more body's at it

I get the no 4 or 4A bus from Acocks Green Village outside the Primary School. This weekend they also had a vintage bus taking passengers from Tyseley Station (parked on Kings Road) to the entrance of the Tyseley Locomotive Works on the Warwick Road. No parking unless you come with a vintage car (you would have to contact Vintage Trains in advance about that).

Not sure about parking though.

They used a Southdown green bus. Seen here arriving at the TLW.

Get off the bus here.

Seen reversing out for Tyseley Station.

They parked on Kings Road, round the corner from the station.

I did notice a lay-by next to the station. But when I went past they parked it here.

Although they did stick signs up on lampposts to tell visitors where to go if they wanted to catch the free bus.

Last edited:
I get the no 4 or 4A bus from Acocks Green Village outside the Primary School. This weekend they also had a vintage bus taking passengers from Tyseley Station (parked on Kings Road) to the entrance of the Tyseley Locomotive Works on the Warwick Road. No parking unless you come with a vintage car (you would have to contact Vintage Trains in advance about that).

Not sure about parking though.

They used a Southdown green bus. Seen here arriving at the TLW.

Get off the bus here.

Seen reversing out for Tyseley Station.

They parked on Kings Road, round the corner from the station.

I did notice a lay-by next to the station. But when I went past they parked it here.

Although they did stick signs up on lampposts to tell visitors where to go if they wanted to catch the free bus.
Not very vintage,. Brought up in southdown territory and th ereal old ones had a brighter green, not that sludgey green, and had proper decent lettering, not that block lettering, and no peculiar First bus (or whatever it is) sign. See below

8627.jpg

The dismal green was National Bus Co. green. Not quite as grim as their red version.
I believe this was PUF 647 (547) a Guy Arab IV which can be seen in this very short clip.

It's strange as a kid how we chose which railway numbers to collect . I started with LMS because I lived in Inkerman At just round the corner from the bridge in Erskine At.in1945 we would stand there and shout .Got any GUM CHUM as the trains carrying the American troops stopped on the bridge:'

I used to spend hours on both New Street and Snow Hill. I was never a trainspotter in the sense of number taking. I used to just watch the operations of the railways. I still say to people that I can explain the difference between a tank engine and a tender engine but don't ask me any more details about classes of locos. However I did have a preference for Snow Hill and actually worked out a round trip on Sunday afternoons of a BCT bus into Birmingham then spend time on Snow Hill then get a train to Smethwick West, walk to Smethwick High Street
and then a Midland Red bus home. The timings did not seem to work out on Saturday afternoons so I was more likely to spend Saturdays on New Street.

I did once venture to Moor Street but decided that the station was too small to warrant buying a platform ticket.

I used to spend hours on both New Street and Snow Hill. I was never a trainspotter in the sense of number taking. I used to just watch the operations of the railways. I still say to people that I can explain the difference between a tank engine and a tender engine but don't ask me any more details about classes of locos. However I did have a preference for Snow Hill and actually worked out a round trip on Sunday afternoons of a BCT bus into Birmingham then spend time on Snow Hill then get a train to Smethwick West, walk to Smethwick High Street
and then a Midland Red bus home. The timings did not seem to work out on Saturday afternoons so I was more likely to spend Saturdays on New Street.

I did once venture to Moor Street but decided that the station was too small to warrant buying a platform ticket.
I used Ian Allen's books to spot GWR &LMS at first then focused on GWR!

The details for Kolhapur, 5593, can be found on Wikipedia. Interesting to see that it carried Winston Churchill back from Liverpool ater his meeting with Roosevelt.

There must be many stories behind the names of the steam locomotives. This loco was built in 1936 and named after the State in Western India. A clip from 1936 in the Tatler gives information about the Kolhapur Pig Sticking Club.

View attachment 137910View attachment 137911

Attachments

• 2F2FCC24-86BF-4679-8F33-C6E15FF3E18E.jpeg
    2F2FCC24-86BF-4679-8F33-C6E15FF3E18E.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 9
The North Warwickshire was a busy line, especially during the latter part of WW2 and the early days of nationalization.
Most classes, with the exception of The Kings (not permitted), could be seen as could the USA and Austerity types of freight locos. Duke Dogs were also a great rarity.

The North Warwickshire was a busy line, especially during the latter part of WW2 and the early days of nationalization.
Most classes, with the exception of The Kings (not permitted), could be seen as could the USA and Austerity types of freight locos. Duke Dogs were also a great rarity.
Yes the North Warwickshire line connected up with others so that it provided an alternative route to Bristol so that the GWR could avoid having to run over Midland Railway (later LMS) lines. The Cornishman was a named express which ran over this line.

“Churchward also gave Great Western locomotive design an almost instant 'family' identity that the layman could easily recognise thus underlining the crucial concept of corporate identity. Combining efficiency with elegance, the Swindon tapered boiler, copper-tapped chimney, gleaming, polished brasswork and brunswick green livery was calculated to give G.W.R. locomotives a dignity and overall sense of distinction that was vital to the promotion of public image.

Churchward set the pattern for future development. His successors, C.B. Collett in 1922, and F.W. Hawksworth in 1944, followed his example, producing modified designs based on trusted Churchward principles. The best known locomotives of the G.W.R. between the World Wars - the 'Castles', 'Kings', 'Halls', 'Granges', 'Manors' and, post- war, the 'Counties' - exemplified the essential Churchward design, with their unmistakable Swindon parentage, much enhanced by means of a carefully considered naming policy. Resonant of order, authority and prestige, the class names were intended to reflect a hierarchically-inspired celebration of Englishness...”

The GWR and the Celebration of Engishness (Alan Bennett, 2000)

The GWR had a number of classes with the 4-4-0 arrangement. those that survived the railway grouping of 1923 were examples of the Bulldog and Duke classes.

the Dukedog class was a GWR rebuild of examples from these two earlier classes built in the Victorian and Edwardian era. 9000, the first rebuild was done in 1936 and these conversions went up to 9028 in 1939. Tre Pol and Pen 9065 was a rebuild done in 1930 and was perhaps the prototype. Other remaining examples of the Duke class were renumbered from 9054 - 9091.

The Bulldogs retained numbers in the 33xx and 34xx series.

PEACOCK (3450) was a Bulldog that shared a name with the preserved narrowboat at the Black Country Museum.

Peacock.jpg

T L W was referred to as the Birmingham Railway Museum in this article. (Courtesy of British Newspaper Archives). Haven't been able to find a listing for the Station, so presumably it didn’t go ahead. Viv.

24E64A87-D472-4CD4-B49A-0D9FD4C24241.jpeg
83A7D61B-24E5-47E0-95D0-5A7C423B6C65.jpeg

It is a foggy, snowy and VERY cold day at Tyseley Railway Musuem around 1978, and I am taking photographs for an A-level art project of old trains awaiting preservation. Sadly I do not know which engines these were (here is a challenge for the steam buffs amongst you!!!) but here are a few images:-
1627463225481.png
1627463279362.png
1627463315055.png
1627463345564.png
By merging the first 3 images and a little digital manipulation, you can get a wider view:-
1627463428128.png

Lyn
If they were at Tyseley then presumably they had been "saved",. though whether anyone was able to restore them is a different matter

The leading locomotive in the trio appears to be a GWR 4-6-0 'Castle' class. Incidentally,they are not trains,they are locomotives, the trains are the coaches or carriages they pull,

The leading locomotive in the trio appears to be a GWR 4-6-0 'Castle' class. Incidentally,they are not trains,they are locomotives, the trains are the coaches or carriages they pull,
Exactly, hence the 'train' that is attached to a bride's dress, and follows her.

Back