• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyseley Locomotive Works

Hornby Hobbies in Margate have sold their old Warehouse to The Railway Storage Co to use as a Museum.We have had the first arrival No 4462 Bittern,an A4 from the Eastern Region.Weve also had some old electric carriages from the London area.Should be good in a few years.

Been to another open day. This view of the skyline over the Tyseley Locomotive Works as seen from the Wharfdale Road Bridge.

Some of the derelict buildings have been demolished, so this view has opened up.

And this one from Warwick Road.

I'll get my new steam locomotive photos up in the next few days.

I was never a big fan of the LMS mainly the GWR. But I did like seeing other lines locos from time to time. I always though the LMS numbering of locos looked better than BR's plates - as portrayed on Kolhapur 5593. One area of LMS interest was North Staffordshire where dirty black locos serving coal mines and steel works were to be seen; amongst them were those of the Knotty which were originally painted a red colour.
1569758125487.png NRM photo

The details for Kolhapur, 5593, can be found on Wikipedia. Interesting to see that it carried Winston Churchill back from Liverpool ater his meeting with Roosevelt.

There must be many stories behind the names of the steam locomotives. This loco was built in 1936 and named after the State in Western India. A clip from 1936 in the Tatler gives information about the Kolhapur Pig Sticking Club.

81310EE1-7376-4780-84A5-A934577A9B28.jpegEEA8FC46-C6DA-4EB2-BBAE-69909F16B6E7.jpeg

I was never a big fan of the LMS mainly the GWR. But I did like seeing other lines locos from time to time. I always though the LMS numbering of locos looked better than BR's plates - as portrayed on Kolhapur 5593. One area of LMS interest was North Staffordshire where dirty black locos serving coal mines and steel works were to be seen; amongst them were those of the Knotty which were originally painted a red colour.
View attachment 137907 NRM photo
I was the opposite...I loved the LMS...mainly because I was in love with Stanier loco's. Incidentally, I do not have my original reference books anymore, but I am quite sure that if I saw Kolhapur 5593 now, it would be a copp!
Dave A

Ell’s picture shows the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe.

Wikipedia says that the Earl of ME was built in 1936 and was originally called Barbury Castle, the name being changed in September 1937. The name came from the GWR Dukedog Class. Its original Barbury Castle name would later be used by 5095 which was built in 1939.

In the clip from the Western Daily News of July 1936 it looks like the “Earl” Class was built in Swindon, 3200-3209, and were to be named after West County Earls, first mentioned being the E of ME. They were to be employed on the hilly routes in central Wales and the Cambrian Coast.

Class distinction? It wouldn’t be right for an Earl to be pulling stuff in the Welsh Hills.

B8292B19-D1C4-4DF0-B0F3-61DD7C1294AE.jpeg

What is the average time to restore a steam locomotive ?
I understand a lot of the help is on a volunteer basis.

One I know of took over 30 years. Another one has only been started on this past year.

Most of those shown will be undergoing a 10 year overhaul. How long that takes depends on how the finances are organised. If there was an astute owner/owning group, and the monies had been set aside, one year is possible - just.

I was the opposite...I loved the LMS...mainly because I was in love with Stanier loco's. Incidentally, I do not have my original reference books anymore, but I am quite sure that if I saw Kolhapur 5593 now, it would be a copp!
Dave A
Let's not overlook where Stanier learned his trade! :laughing:

I keep meaning to go to one of these Tyseley open days but, what is the parking like? I know it is virtually non-existant at the actual site. I presume Cousins car park is out of the question. What about the frontages of the shops opposite? Or Wharfdale Road?

I've lived in both Acocks Green and Hall Green, but not for decades. Park in Arden Road and catch a bus? Or even outside the shops corner of Stockfield Road/Warwick Road? For me, that sort of distance is walkable.

Back