• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vintage clothing and other items you still own

guitars.jpeg
I forgot :oops:. Scolding voice (Other half), "What about these that I bought for you before we were married ?"
I haven't worn a tie for ?? years, and my other half buys me short sleeved shirts, but these would be fine if I did have a suitable shirt. They are 50 + years old, and made in England. I am suitably chastised. I may even have to go and buy a new shirt to restore harmony.
Andrew.

I inherited my Dad's suit that he had made for our wedding. It was in the wardrobe for a long time and I never wore it. Not emotional, but more style and colour. It finally went a little while ago, so fits in this thread category only by association.

If the thread is extended a bit to include other stuff, and I claim I can do this, because I started it (so there). I inherited a lot of tools from my Dad, that he taught me to use a long time ago, so are sort of part of my (pre) history. I still use them regularly. (Yes I do know the joke about using my grandad's hammer, only three new handles and two new heads). In this case they are too well made to need any replacement parts. My other half still uses a darning mushroom from learning needlework at school.

Andrew.
to cover other items apart from clothing we will need to change your thread title which i will do later on..thread titles can only be changed by a moderator

No, not things that were worn in old paintings, but things from your own history. I am sat here doing my winter task of digitising old photo albums, and I find a photo where I am wearing the same pullover I am wearing now. That makes it 30 plus years in active use. Wondering what else I have in ‘historical’ wear. The fluorescent tie I wore playing in a band dates from end of school, so over 50 years, and still serviceable, (and eye watering). My wedding tie, tied by my best man with a Windsor knot, and still knotted ready to slip over my head at 50 years old. My Saltley blazer badge, could be stitched onto something, and is still full colour, that is at least 60 years old. My cubs leather ‘woggle ’, that will be 65 years old, and still perfectly useable to close a neckscarf. That’s about as far back as I can go with things that are still wearable. All of these items of course are not size related, keeping my romper suit would not have been useful.
Andrew.
I've still got a Bayern Munich shirt that I swapped for my Villa top with a BM fan in a pub in Rotterdam. It's a bit "snug" on my 58 year old self compared to my 18 year old self haha

I've still got a Bayern Munich shirt that I swapped for my Villa top with a BM fan in a pub in Rotterdam. It's a bit "snug" on my 58 year old self compared to my 18 year old self haha
I've still got all of the Villa shirts that I've had since the late 70's, although the first has clearly shrunk in the wash over the years (the only possible explanation that I can think of for that one not fitting, not for some of the others though..:innocent:). I also found a blue shoe, that my mother must have kept of mine from when I was a baby, when we moved house last year. Other than that, I have my Dad's cap from WW2 (as below). I'm a bit of a hoarder I'm afraid, so that is just the tip of the a very big iceberg.

1665758971212.png

View attachment 166594
I forgot :oops:. Scolding voice (Other half), "What about these that I bought for you before we were married ?"
I haven't worn a tie for ?? years, and my other half buys me short sleeved shirts, but these would be fine if I did have a suitable shirt. They are 50 + years old, and made in England. I am suitably chastised. I may even have to go and buy a new shirt to restore harmony.
Andrew.
I've got a tie clip like these.

I have my old school badge I ripped off my blazer and coats I wore to work well over 35 years ago because they are not fitted, like my body, and my dad's wellies and fishermens' socks to go under them and one hankie my aunty gave me, that must be ancient. And a joke garter that was mum's with her name on it. I don't wear it though.

We had one back in the day. I remember that when you took the lamp out of the holder, and took the cap off, the bottle was identical to the one used for a squash drink available at the time, I think it was called Tip top.

Just thought I would throw that gem of information out and let it bounce for a bit.

Andrew.
thats strang Andrew i did have a look and thought that. i wont drink the water though om

Apparently lava lamps use bottle caps as a warranty seal.​

:grinning:

Attachments

• 1668336174298.png
    1668336174298.png
    614 KB · Views: 4
I saw a box of Bezique cards in a charity shop, they are asking £20 for them mine are better condition not that will part with them.

Back