• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victoria Cross & George Cross Holders of Birmingham

Have a George Cross in my possession which I believe was awarded to someone from Birmingham, not listed here. I need to write to the MoD for details.

That's interesting smallheathexplorer - we should be able to look up their Gazette entry and family history if you want to share the details you have.

Able Seaman William Alfred Savage - A well-written story, which I have updated the index in post-#1 along with their Gazette entry - thanks

Last edited:
Harold Colley - Another well-written story, which I have updated the index in post-#1 along with their Gazette entry - thanks - any idea where he was buried please?

Herbert James was born in Birmingham on 13 November 1888. He initially took up teaching posts at two Birmingham schools, but being of a roving disposition, in April 1909 he enlisted into the 21st Lancers as a Trooper and embarked for Egypt. By the outbreak of hostilities in August 1914 James was serving as a Lance-Corporal in India, but he was quickly appointed a commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th Bn, Worcestershire Regiment and in March 1915 embarked for the Dardanelles.

[ London Gazette, 1 September 1915 ], Gully Ravine, Helles, Gallipoli, Turkey, 28 June & 3rd July 1915, 2nd Lieutenant Herbert James, 4th Bn, Worcestershire Regiment:
For most conspicuous bravery during the operations in the Southern Zone of the Gallipoli Peninsula.
On the 28th June 1915, when a portion of a Regiment had been checked owing to all the Officers being put out of action, Second Lieutenant James, who belonged to a neighbouring unit, entirely on his own initiative gathered together a body of men and led them forward under heavy shell and rifle fire. He then returned, organised a second party, and again advanced. His gallant example put fresh life into the attack.

On the 3rd July, in the same locality, Second Lieutenant James headed a party of bomb throwers up a Turkish communication trench, and, after nearly all his bomb throwers had been killed or wounded, he remained alone at the head of the trench and kept back the enemy single-handed till a barrier had been built behind him and the trench secured. He was throughout exposed to a murderous fire.

[London Gazette, 15 October 1918 ], for the award of the Military Cross, Lieutenant ( T / Captain ) Herbert James, 1st Bn, Worcestershire Regiment:
During an attack, he rode forward when the situation was obscure under heavy fire, and brought back most valuable information. He then reorganised and led forward parties of men from other units and skilfully formed a defensive flank where a gap had occurred, exposing himself for many hours to a very heavy fire.
By his gallantry, coolness, and utter disregard of personal safety, he set a splendid example to all ranks.

By the mid-1950s James was separated from his second wife and renting a back room flat at Brunswick Gardens, Kensington, apparently making a living as a fine art dealer. It was here in August 1958 that he was found by his landlord lying unconcious - it appeared that he had a seizure but remained undiscovered for six days. None of his fellow residents had any idea he was a Victoria Cross winner, for James lived a very reclusive life, had no visitors or took no telephone calls.

The painting by Gilbert Holiday shows Lieutenant James with two rifles and a sack of "Jam Pot" bombs holding the trench single-handed. This painting was presented to the Worcestershire Regiment by the late Lieutenant J. M. P. Baird.

ANOTHER PLACE GIVING MORE LOCAL COLOUR TO HERBERT JAMES' LIFE IS AT THE SMETHWICK HERITAGE SITE. https://www.smethwick-heritage.co.uk/heroes-herbert.htm

HIS WARTIME EXPERIENCE MUST HAVE CAST A VERY LONG SHADOW OVER THE REMAINDER OF HIS LIFE. THIS WAS SO OFTEN THE CASE AMONG WARTIME RETURNERS. MY MOTHER'S FATHER, WHO SAW SERVICE IN THE MAJOR ENGAGEMENTS OF WW1 WAS, APPARENTLY, NEVER THE SAME AFTERWARDS, COMMITTING SUICIDE SOME YEARS LATER..

Aiden, I know I have said it before but thank you again for all your research, and this dedicated thread, I have read them all with a feeling of wonder and some trepidation that I could never be that brave, it makes you realise just how much we owe these our brave ancesters, and the modern hero's too, my youngest boy is on his second tour of Afgahnistan (RE Para) as I type this, and I think of him and all our armed forces out there risking there lives for little more than some people seem to get in dole these days. I lost two very good friends in Aden in 1965, and in Ireland in the 70's, so am a little more tuned to these threads you might say. Thanks again.
paul stacey.

Thank you Paul for sharing that and best wishes to your brave son. I think you, rightly, said earlier that such bravery rarely results in official recognition in the form of medals, but it is bravery non-the less.

However, it is also rare to read of the exploits of the brave and that is what interested me to capture the stories and Gazettings in one place of the ordinary men of Birmingham who did extraordinary (and to me unimaginable) things when necessary. It does make me wonder what I would do in such circumstances.

View attachment 69427View attachment 69425View attachment 69424View attachment 69426 Pvte George Ravenhill V.C. Buried in an unmarked grave at Witton, Section 47, Grave 08654, but commemorated on Panel 8, Right hand panel on left wall of WW1 memorial
pencil.png

Good book out recently -

The Complete Victoria Cross by Kevin Brazier - Done chronologically from Boatswains Mate Charles Lucas 21 June 1854 to Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith 11 June 2010

156 Years of unassuming heroism.

Brian

Thank you Brian for posting these sad pictures. Again words fail me these brave unassuming idividuals who in life asked for nothing and had heaps of praise levied on them get nothing in death, I find the whole senario very sad and very disturbing, there arn't that many holders you would think the VC society would ensure that the recipiants had tidy and respectful resting places would,t you.
paul

I recently met Kevin Brazier and we chatted about Cemeteries - as you do! He told me about his book, and that he has visited all within the M25 and gradually getting around the rest. In fact hgis trip from London to Scarborough had 3 diversions off route to visit known graves!
I promised to send him pictures of Cooper & Gill in Warstone Lane, and said I would look into the other Brummies - most of them are in a sad state.
Witton had their 2 on the wall because of the many enquiries they had had, but they were not pleased at being disturbed by 'sightseers'
Quinton was ty[pical of many staff these days - it is a job, not anything to be interested in!
Oscott made no comment when I said I had come to visit the V.C. they had. Again, ignorance of such residents abounds, I believe.

I've ben asked to look at 2 George Crosses in yardley & 1 in Harborne (St Peters) for a future book - we'll see if they are any more knowledgeable.

It's ashame the cemeteroies in France are so neat & tidy - ours are a bombsite!

Here are some Commonwealth War Graves in Aston Parish near to Alfred Wilcox V.C.

View attachment 69434 There are at least 2 partially visible! Neither are from the war in Burma!

Brian this is awful I wonder if the commonwealth war graves association would help if only with a small plaque.

I have just read this about George Niven and thought I would post this snippet.

Able Seaman George Paterson Niven accompanied Lt-Cmdr Maxwell-Hyslop and Midshipman Cobham into the turret, assisting in the evacuation of casualties. This included descending into the lower decks of the turret, when he heard a casualty calling out for help. In recognition, he was awarded the Medal of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for Gallantry, more popularly known as the Empire Gallantry Medal. His Empire Gallantry Medal was exchanged in 1971 for the George Cross.

Hi Aiden,
Great to see someone is compiling a list of our brummy hero's
however there are more to add ( Archibold Cook & Mates LMS Railway London Gazzette dated 18 dec 1942)
Regards
young319

Hi Folks

Just some more information regarding Bill Waterson who was a neighbour of mine when I was growing up in Erdington.

William Waterson was born at home on 16[SUP]th[/SUP] June 1904 at 8 Bertram Road. This road lies off Green Lane in the Bordesley Green/ Small Heath area of the city. Waterson's parents were Thomas Waterson, a Grocer's Assistant, and Elizabeth Waterson (nee Warner).
As an adult he lived at 61 William Street in Lozells and worked as a plant workman at GEC in Witton. His nephew, Mr Payne, recalls that Waterson also worked for a time at Edwards' Funeral Directors.
He was awarded the Edward Medal (later exchanged for the George Cross) for his actions at GEC on 18[SUP]th[/SUP] August 1945. The details were recorded in the London Gazette on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] April 1946. The lengthy citation reads:
"At 4:30am on Saturday the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] August 1945 two workmen employed in the carbon black plant at the works of the General Electric Co. Ltd Birmingham were employed in collecting newly manufactured lamp black from a brick chamber. The men were unprotected and had to withstand a high temperature as well as an unpleasant atmosphere due to particles of oily lamp black, while carbon monoxide was present from burning soot. After a short time Webb, one of the workmen, collapsed and his companion Albert Edward Stranks, being unable to move him, sought assistance. Breathing apparatus was stored at the works fire station some distance away; when Stranks called for help the fire alarm was properly sounded. To await the arrival of breathing apparatus would inevitably have resulted in some delay and as the event conclusively proved there was no time to lose.
William Waterson, who was the first to arrive on the scene after the alarm was given, joined Stranks and in order to avoid any delay in going to Webb's assistance without hesitation, though fully realising the risk, entered the chamber and attempted to pull the man out. Webb was covered in sweat and carbon black and rescue work was difficult as it was not possible to get a proper grip on him. They were unsuccessful at first and on coming out Stranks collapsed; but Waterson continued to make attempts, entering four times in all. On his last entry he was accompanied by John Thomas Hewitt, a member of the Works Fire Brigade who had then arrived with a rope but not with the breathing apparatus; together they succeeded in bringing Webb out who unfortunately was found to be dead.
The hazards were serious owing to the presence of the carbon monoxide gas, intense heat, complete darkness except for the light from a portable acetylene lamp (the carbon covered surroundings absorb all light and give no reflection), the deposit of the carbon black and the confined space, conditions to which Waterson and Hewitt were unaccustomed.
Both Waterson and Stranks suffered badly from gassing and were removed to hospital and Hewitt suffered to a lesser extent".
A report on the inquest was printed in the Birmingham Mail on Thursday 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] August 1945. Described as a resumed inquest it contained additional details presented to the Coroner, Doctor W.H. Davison, that day. The man who died was Walter Joseph Webb, aged 31 at the time, of 2 Ensdon Grove, Ellerton Road, Kingstanding. Webb was a Charge Hand and had had many years experience of working around the combustion chambers. It was claimed he had been warned against entering the chamber while the soot was burning but that he carried on anyway. This was despite the fact that a large fire in one of the chambers had just been reported to him. It was noted that Waterson collapsed on emerging for the final time and there can be little doubt he was lucky to survive at all. Webb's cause of death was noted as asphyxia due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The Coroner recorded a verdict of "Death by misadventure" and remarked that it was very gratifying to hear of people who had made such strenuous efforts, regardless of the danger, to save Webb. Waterson was commended highly on his actions and, in closing, the Coroner hoped that GEC would launch an enquiry into the circumstances in which the men on the plant were working.
Waterson was subsequently employed as a Car Worker (place unknown). He and his wife Elsie moved to 52 Harlech Tower, Wilmot Drive in Erdington at some point. Elsie died circa 1968.
Waterson exchanged his Edward Medal in March 1972 for the George Cross following the upgrade to his award in December 1971. He died at Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield on 24[SUP]th[/SUP] March 1973 aged 68. Cause of death was lung cancer and it is hard not to think this may have been a consequence of his exposure to the burning soot. He was cremated at Sutton Coldfield crematorium.

Also when going through some "stuff" the other day, found a newspaper cutting regarding Bill.
Bill095.jpg

Back