• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Cross & George Cross Holders of Birmingham

Thank you Copco for the post as Paul says a very good read about a very brave Man!

Maybe not strictly from Birmingham but an interesting VC story all the same of someone just across the border in Smethwick

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/scandal-of-smethwicks-forgotten-vc-hero-301571

On the Birmingham Mail web site. Jermey Clarkson, i know not everyones cup of tea, did a show about the raid, can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgF0R4dhUqk in parts. He also did a show about his Father-In-Law, Robert Henry Cain which is a fantastic story set around Arnhem, he recieved a VC for his actions, which is a great one to watch even if you don't like Clarkson he does a brillant job on both these shows.

Thank you dwilly for binging this scandalous news about Bill Savage VC, sadly only one of many VC holders lost and forgotten by the establishment, the military, and the public. Marvalous read again about a very brave man from our City.
paul

Going back for a moment to Dennis's post #123 where holders of the George Cross are mentioned....

One or two of these earned their honours as a result of heroism in the Birmingham Blitz. They were joined by others who were awarded the George Medal in the same or other incidents and yet more who received other, lesser awards for acts of incredible bravery and self-sacrifice. No doubt there were other cases where men and women performed remarkable acts which went unnoticed and unrecognised. There is one published book which attempts to record the circumstances surrounding the award of many of these medals: “Heroes of the Birmingham Blitz” by Michael Minton (Brewin Books, 2002, ISBN 1 85858 211 3) - well worth reading.

I used information in that book as a source when I pieced together the remarkable story of one of these men, George Walter Inwood who was awarded a posthumous G.C.for his heroism on the night of Tuesday 15th October 1940 in Bishop Street, Deritend, and of the man he rescued in the appalling incident which occurred there. Can't post it in this thread because of complications with illustrations and layout but it's online HERE if anyone wants a glimpse of what Brummies of that generation had to endure and how a number of them truly earned their position amongst "Some great men and women of Birmingham" .

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I discovered recently I'm related to George Walter Inwood G.C. I'm very proud of him!
rosie.

So you should be rosie! What a man...and my eternal thanks to Chris M for a brilliant dissertation and some diligent research on George Inwood GC. Makes everything on here worthwhile when you uncover such great stories.

I discovered recently I'm related to George Walter Inwood G.C. I'm very proud of him!
rosie.

Yardley_G_Inwood_tidied_up_2~0.JPGHi Rosie, I was priveiged last July to take pics of Birmingam G.C. graves for Kevin Braziers definite book on G.C.'s following his book on V.C.'s
This is Yardley cemetery 37-46739 after I had tidied it.

Hello Amanda,
This is Margaret and as you are aware my Grandfather was Archibald Cook the train driver. Not sure if you know they are in the book "Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids by Michael Minton if you can get hold of a copy it is well worth a read. I too amy very proud of Granddad and spent many an hour with him whilst he was a live. His medal unfortunately was stolen only within the last two years by someone who de-frauded my mother so i do not have the medal to cherish and pass onto my Granddaughter.
I would be interested to learn of George Onions other direct decendents if possible.
Wishing you well.
Margaret Young

Just discovered that George Onions was my second cousin three times removed! So proud of him!

Hi amanda
Just been reading your thread and the one from Margret telling you where to see and find out about the medals you was looking
Well Margret told you to buy the book if you can get it well I actually found mind in a charity shop
But I was lucky I have a huge collection on history of Birmingham which I accumulated from the charity shops
If I had not been busy I could have told you myself about the book because I have had it for years
But the main reason I am contacting you is to tell you that the book if you want it can be bought brand new
From Brew in books ltd
56 alcester road. Studley. Warwickshire B70 7lg
And yes its called Heroes of the Birmingham air raids and it does contain all the. Medals in colour
There is a couple of pages with all the types of medals and what for it was given
you can of courses four the charity shops but it some times like trying to find a needle in a hay stack
Because that many people now searching for the war years books and the history
Some of the charity shop managers have said they go out the same day as they com in
So it. May be hard to find it that way best wishes astonian,,, ALan,,,,,,

Thanks for posting #68, we should ALL, know about, and respect the sites of these local selfless hero's, as mentioned before on this thread there are many more "Brummie's" with this spectacular award in the cemeteries of Birmingham City, I have always felt it should be an absolute duty of the CITY, to know and keep these sites sacred and clean. And that all local schools should be informed, and include them in any local history lessons.

Great News indeed.
Some years ago I was asked to take some pics of V.C. Graves for an author - Quinton did not even know they had one there, Witton said Military grave sightseers were an nuisance - they gace out info, but got no income from it.... Yardley had a printed list almost to hand of all their war dead. Just depends on how much interest you take in your work, or just the pay packet.

Sgt Norman A Finch of Handsworth collecting his VC. Viv.

9CAE7F68-5D18-4A3B-9923-6522A570C324.jpeg
Source: Birmingham Gazette, British Newspaper Archive

8D532299-E883-42B2-A48A-99DA9FCA016B.jpeg
Source: Birmingham Gazette,13/9/1918: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Great thread Viv, I did remember when at school being told of the large amount of meritorious awards, issued to people from Birmingham, makes us all so proud, keep posting makes a great read. Paul

Pte Thomas George Turrell’s heroism, how he gained a VC and family sadness. Viv.

EF2E00F3-0C18-4BC8-8A56-1FF476A498E1.jpeg3FC6A896-7297-47BC-822A-54569CFB0C59.jpeg395DEA63-16C2-4F2A-BA19-5E145BCDECED.jpeg5A86C6D2-482E-467C-A2CA-0052FAD40AEA.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archives

Back