• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Veterans Badge

My 21 year old is proud of me already the missis said what is it8)

Alf.
This badge is now available to all who served in the armed forces. Same criteria applies just give name, service, etc and you will get the badge.
I've had mine for three years now and I served in the 70's to the 90's

Here a copy from Subee's post of Feb 2006

attachment.php

Have had my badge for some time now, I did not have to wait for 50 years
like I did for Suez Canel Zone General Service Medal, someone told me I had to thank Tony Blair for pushing it through, cheers Bernard 1948/1953

Thanks Wendy, My Dad was in the Coldstream Guards 1914/19, he then had six sons and I was the only one to go into his old Regiment! He used to send me a five shillings Postal Order every now and again, enough for
a night out in the NAFFI, bye for now Bernard.

hi all
The box the veterans badge comes in is something else got mine by post 2 days after applying.
paul stacey

Yes they are worth having and mine only took 2 days as well Paul.:)

Had mine a few years now - have already seen them for sale on E-Bay as well is nothing sacred

No Colin having seen the so called Veteran in the papers the last few days.
He was marching down Whitehall:)

Correct Alf he is nothing short of a disgrace...but I guess if he believes he served in conflicts over a 60 year period plus non British conflicts then he may have a form of mental illness...I did 10 years in peacetime so all I have is my veteran badge so I wear it and at least I know Im allowed to wear it

having survived caterham pirbright egypt and abingdon i think i have earned mine," joking" my father fought on the retreat from belgium to dunkirque getting wounded on the way ,also being wounded in 1945 ,he died a few years ago, so when this award came out i reckoned he deserved it, so i took his case of medals off the wall and added this new award to them, how an earth he survived the war mentally idont know he always seemed so soft to me, rwm.

hi all
just makes a joke out of a dedicated idea to honour people who actually served, had the goverment been serious about the seeming honour, and named every one I suppose it would have cost too much. as it is any bob,jim or harry can just buy one and wear it, makes it all a bit tacky really, I only wear mine with my mates on 11th Nov anyway.
paul

Back