• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unveiling of the Edward VII statue in Centenary Square by HRH The Prince of Wales

Looks like one of my photos cropped in half.

Although there isn't a photo credit on the article.

I wont be able to make it either, assuming that I'm in work that day.

I am gutted as I had an invite into the restricted area........just my luck:(.

Is this still going ahead, despite all the bad snowy weather we've had recently?

The 1913 unveiling took place on April the 23rd - St Georges Day.

Why does this one have to take place on a cold winter's day?

Must be alot of slushy / gritted snow in Centenary Square.

Sad to say, considering the current weather conditions, that the decision has been made to postpone the unveiling of the restored Edward VII statue until sometime during the first half of 2011.

The new date will be posted here as soon as it is unembargoed.

Thank you Stephen being selfish I hope I can make the next one! Please let us know the new date when you know.

The more the merrier! You'll recall the tens of thousands there were for the Silver Jubilee, but HM's visit for Her Golden Jubilee the numbers were quite paltry.

I don't for one minute suspect that it is less fervour for the Royal Family and the institution of monarchy, I believe it is because people just don't know that things are happening, because schedules have to be kept quiet until the last minute because of terrorism, demonstrations and the like. Sad.

Yes I am sure your right Stephen. I must sort my union flag out!

Todays Birmingham Mail assumed that it was going ahead.

A different article was in the morning paper - not this one

[url=https://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2010/12/22/unveiling-of-king-edward-vii-statue-by-prince-charles-is-cancelled-due-to-snow-97319-27870120/]Unveiling of King Edward VII statue by Prince Charles is cancelled due to snow
[/URL]

A ceremony to unveil the restored statue of King Edward VII in Birmingham was axed when blizzard-like conditions hit the city.
Prince Charles was set to perform the ceremony today before visiting the Frankfurt German market in the city centre, but the unveiling was cancelled because of the atrocious weather.
He was due to unveil the statue in Centenary Square and then meet traders and shoppers at the market.
The marble monument, by sculptor Albert Toft, was paid for by readers of the Birmingham Mail in 1913 to commemorate the death of the monarch. It has been restored at a cost of £114,000 and the Prince of Wales had made a donation to help return the stunning statue to its former glory.

A spokesman for the Prince said a re-arranged date for the ceremony had not yet been confirmed.

I am sure Pro Civitate will let us know when a new date is confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The German Frankfurt Market's will be long gone, whenever the new date is.

Also this blog from Deirdre Alden Statue Unveiling Postponed

Tomorrow I had been due to attend the unveiling of the statue of King Edward VII in Centenary Square, by HRH The Prince of Wales.
However I have just been notified that because of the weather, and the threat of further snowfall tonight, the royal visit has been postponed until the New Year.
So if you were planning to come along and watch the unveiling tomorrow, it is not now happening.

There must be many of these around. Has anybody got one? I have this one for a long time.

Mugs001.jpg

Back