• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Typhoo Tea Bordesley Street Digbeth

BIRMINGHAM’S historic Typhoo tea factory has been placed on the open market by Jones Lang LaSalle.The 2.635-acre site in Digbeth has existing planning permission to be redeveloped into a mixed-use scheme including 353 flats, 522 sq m of commercial space, a gym and 188 parking spaces.Simon Dicken, of Jones Lang LaSalle’s residential team, said: “This historical building is an excellent site located in very close proximity to the city centre and universities.

How well I remember going to the factory to collect cartons of tea,loose tea of course,which were packed into 1/4lb (that is 4 ounce) packets, then into a carton of 100 packets which totalled 25lb in weight. We often had to wait while these were packed for us. Typhoo was a fast selling tea then and the shop keeper I worked for would order 25 of these 25lb cartons and I would be sent to collect them in the works van. Anyone remember Mr Watts shops. He had a supermarket in Kingshurst Estate and one at Shard End.
Regards Ian.

I had a cousin worked at a tea company in Coleshill Street and I am sure it was Typhoo tea.
I need a Kelly's Again.

hi mwonjm
my grand father was a key holder for them in fazely street at the typhoo
he had the transport cafe right next doorto typhoo
and in his back garden was access into there factory he used to park is car and is delivery van
inside andall the delivery driverswhom came to deliver there at over night stopps had bed and break fast there along any other drivers whom came to thehide and skin the other side
in those they was hundreds of market trader whom had stuff delivered from all over the country
it was a big place bedding at least 15 drivers a night
this was in the fortys and fiftuys he sold the bussiness in 1955 and moved is office to aston cross the other side of the bussiness have your self a good day best wishes astonion

hello.astonian.we parked up there too.that cafe i remember i had my nosebag there of a morning.great read and ta for reply

ernie dude i cant find anything on the map.but i am sure all the main doors were in fazeley st.might be wrong.

Typhoo started in Hutton house (though it was called John Sumner), in High St, then, in 1906, moved to castle St., at the top end . They started to expand there, but halted this, as a site, formally a sawmills became available in Bordesley St. The new factory was completed in 1925, but the offices did not move till 1930, after a further extension was built. As has been stated the factory was largely, though not completely, destroyed by bombing in 1941, but rebuilt. The address always seems to have been Bordeslety st after they moved there.
Mike

thanks and well done mike.last time i was there rosies had bought the place and it was a warehouse of some kind.i did no go in only used there
fenced in car park to keep my wagon safe.

The office and factory workers entrances were in Bordesley st the factory ran most of the way up Pickford St .Dek

Do you remember the phrase "Who put the T in Typhoo"?. For quite a long time part of the lighted sign of the factory was faulty (probably not long before they moved out). As a resullt the sign read " yphoo"
Mike

every now and then the gaffer would come around to the shop
and say ernie can we borrow jack , jack being the little jack russellem dog as we got problems again
and they would take him around and little jack would resolve the problems
also the hide and skin next door which also back on there there grounds so you could see where the problemd layed
my grand parents a big monkey in a cage in the living room called jacko
and every christmas my grand mother would inport a huge christmas tree for the house
and relatives from abroad would come over to stay

Hi ger22van.
There is a conection between the name "Coleshill" and "Ty-phoo".
The guy who started the company lived in Coleshill (The house is still there) and he mixed all the blends in a front room of the house until he got what he wanted. When he was happy, he started the now world famous company.
Chocks

ernie dude i cant find anything on the map.but i am sure all the main doors were in fazeley st.might be wrong.

it was just off Fazeley street but typoo bay is in fazeley st iv a picture somwhere ill upload it when i find it.73 de roger (m3aom)

Back