• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ty-Phoo Tea

yogimon

master brummie
I worked at Ty-Phoo tea Bradford Street in the early 70s. I worked in the tea bag room on the machines packing. I can just about remember the chargehand Ursula, she was a big woman.We had a lot of fun whilst working there, especially when we had the power cuts and we had to work shifts.all the girls would get together in the dark and sing Irish songs. I also used to think i was rich because i earned £35 per wk. To me that was megga money. I was quite a shy girl and did'nt mix much but there was a guy who i always used to meet in the canteen who i really liked. that guy became my husband, we have been married for 40 years now,so we have Ty-Phoo Tea to be thankful for. I would love to be in touch with anyone who worked there around that time, please get in touch if you can If i don't remember you i'm sure my husband Terry will....

My father-in-law, Norman Benson, worked at Cadbury's in Bournville and then moved to Typhoo Tea in Bradford Street. (Did Cadbury's buy Typhoo?). He was an electrician and worked shifts at Typhoo untill he was made redundant when they closed.

Sue
There is one incorrect point in that link . Premier Brands did not buy Typhoo. What happened is that Cadbury's demerged the whole of the food division and the new company was named Premier Brands. They carried on at the Bordesley site for quite a while, but then moved away. I always found it a bit amusing that one of the catch phrases thatb they used was "Typhoo put the T in Tea" . Yet for quite a while (after the demerger) the Large illuminated sign on the factory that faced the railway line wa bereft of the T, and just read yphoo

Also think they got the interpretation of Ty-phoo (from Chinese) wrong. An advertising trick perhaps?. Viv.

hi my mom worked at Typhoo tea and she had loads of friends there,they all saved up one year and went to Magulluf Spain for a week and my friend and i went,we were 16 then and had a great laugh with them all,shower hats in the sea,spainish waiters,men following us all around! I used to meet mom from work and everyone so nice to me.Some of the names were Vina,Linda, Jackie, Adam(think jackie and Adam were married)mary,Carol,my mom was June do you remember her?

Where was Typhoo based and when? As I understood it they were in the building on Bordesley St when my dad worked there. He was a shop steward for the T&G in the early-mid 60s. You say they were on Bradford St - the other side of Digbeth - in the 70s. I know they were out of the Bordesley St building when I worked there from the early 80s. The link with cadbury's was broken sometime in the 70s because I remember the stamps on the cards at the tax office had changed to Cadbury Schweppes from Cadbury Typhoo when I worked for the Tax office in the mid 70s.

Back