• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tullett

Dianne Joy

My father (deceased) was born on 31st December 1926 and was illegitimate. He was brought up by his mother and maternal grandparents. I did a DNA test on Ancestry.com and it brought up some matches; one of which was a first cousin. This man's mother was also illegitimate, and he believes our shared grandfather was a man called Albert Tullett. My grandmother was around the age of 20 when she had my dad, but I believe this man may have been a lot older.
Any information would be gratefully received.

I went to a funeral about three weeks ago for a Tullet. Although this was in Cambridge and the family came from Norfolk, not sure if all of them did. Wonder if there is a connection? Perhaps you could give us a little more info. ie. was your father's name Tullett, what was his first name? I cannot find any birth registrations for a Tullet in Birmingham early 1927. only Sept Qtr which is too late if he was born in 1926. What was his mother's name? was that Tullett and did they all live in Birmingham, were they all born in Birmingham?

My father did not have a father on his birth certificate. His mother was called Mabel Marson and my father was Anthony Marson. They lived in Lichfield, Staffordshire and he was born in Wolverhampton at a 'home for girls of previous good character' (or something like that).
I have only been given the name Albert Tullett by someone on Ancestry.com who shares DNA with me and who thinks this man is also his grandfather. He told me Albert Tullett was from a Birmingham family.

Assuming then the Tullett name may be correct then...

The 1921 census lists 5 Birmingham born Albert Tulletts, at least one father and son. The eldest 2 are born 1868 and 1879, and the others 1900 or later. Both the eldest 2 are listed as married.

Trying to contact them and comparing dna seems the way to go, to confirm or rule out. There appear to be a lot of tress for both the elder 2 on Ancestry - Albert b1868 married Christine Spiers and Albert James b1879 married Gertrude Finney.

Can I confirm that Mabel's mother was Lucy Ellen Wenlock who married Charles Marson in 1904. Mabel born in 1905 (Lichfield)

Thank you. I think it is the former one, born 1868, but not certain. Difficult with it being so long ago and people involved all now dead, but just interested to find our more about my Dad's biological father.

Back