• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Traditional Songs we sang at school

Thanks Ted, much abliged, that's the word, rounds! singing in rounds to the Blacksmith. And to Westering Home. we also sang The Lewis Tramping Sang and the Lark in The Clear Air. Blow the Wind Southerly. Dad had a 10 inch of Kathleen Ferrier singing that. I still have some of them but nothing to play them on. Parlaphone and His Master's Voice and Brunswick Records.
Nico

whats the time ten to nine,hang your knickers on the line.when there dry bring them in. who on earth would want to keep there draws in a biscuit tin? lol
Oh you'll never go to heaven, (Repeat)
In a biscuit tin (Repeat,) cos a biscuit tin's (Repeat)
got biscuits in, (Repeat)

Chorus.

Verse:
Oh you'll never go to heaven
In a Playtex bra,
cos a Playtex Bra
wont stretch that far.

Chorus
I aint gonna grive my Lord
I aint gonna grieve my Lord no more
I aint gonna grieve, my Lord, no more.

Thanks mwOnjm, that brought back my Geography field study school trip to Dol Y Moch in Ffestiniog Wales,in the 70's, .

Nico

Hello Mags

It was Belle Marguerite prounced Bella Margarita by Georges Guetari. I found this out recently. I think it was drinking wine with me.
We had an assisant teacher Miss Judd who was Western European, she tried to make us pronounce elm tree as alm, she rubbed off our regular teacher'a work on the revolving blackboard, it was sort of floppy, and our teacher called her a damn foreigner!
Our Religous Knowlege teacher also called the Asian children an unmentionable name now, the history teacher upset my Irish mate saying they were all troublemakers, an effeminate classmate was referred to as Wendy where's yer handbag by another teacher. I was whacked with a pump for being slow getting changed after sport. Times have changed for the better sometimes.Nico

Oh David, I thought I was the only person in the world who thought it was ''Good King Wensles last looked out'. I had really forgotten about it until you reminded me. We had a Scottish music teacher, and she used to make us sing the carol 'In the bleak mid winter', which was my all time favourite, but we had to sing 'earth stood hard as iRon, we had to pronounce the 'R', which used to annoy me, and the rest of the class, I daresay.

Nico, I think it was Bella Margarita, picking grapes with me wasn't it? Perhaps I am wrong on this one.

Hello again Mags. I just checked Yahoo, the lyrics say picking drinking and something else it is different after each verse. I also like Georges singing My Lovely Day with a soprano, do you? Brings a lump dunno why though.

I thought it was last looked out too. And Away in a Manger no crib for her bed, the Little Lor Jesus lay down his swee ted, My partner is French and she says EYE RON also for iron, EYE RON ING etc and Rugger lay, for Rugely. And the Peshwari Road for the Pershore Road. Nan called it Persia. I love In The Bleak Midwinter too, Brightest and Best Are the Stars of the Morning and When the Herds Were Watching, more lumps. Nico

Thank you Nico, it would seem that both lines were used in that song then. The song My lovely day, is that 'This is my lovely day' this is the day I shall remember the day I'm dying'. Gosh, we don't here these songs anymore do we?

Thank you Nico, it would seem that both lines were used in that song then. The song My lovely day, is that 'This is my lovely day' this is the day I shall remember the day I'm dying'. Gosh, we don't here these songs anymore do we?

Yes Maggs, It is that song. I sing them much to someone's annoyance. And others like, If I Can Help Somebody, Go to sleep my Baby, Lula Lula Lula Lula Bye Bye, My Heart and I, Without a Song, Radio 2 plays a lot of old stuff with Hubert Gregg and Alan Titchmarsh and Elaine Paige has one old git spot for me as I am told. We'll Gather Lilacs.The Isle of Capri, Barbara Windsor, when standing in for Elaine played some really old stuff, and I knew them as well. Don't Have any More Mrs Moore etc. I'm Shy Mary Ellen. Too old for youI expect. I am not that old but I was raised on them.

Hello Mags, The programme on Radio 2 this Friday just gone. just before Friday Night is Music Night, played Stately as 2 Galleons by Joyce Grenfell, I thought of you and Carolina
Nico

Nico thanks for that. I can remember Maureen Lipman playing her on TV.
Did you manage to hear it?
I remember Joyce was on a classical quiz show I can't remember who with, she had nice singing voice. A man played a silent piano and you had to guess what he was playing for part of it.

Either a skipping song or 2 balls up the wall song we sang at school was

Ebukenezer king of the jews
Bought his wife a pair of shoes
When the shoes began to wear
Ebukenezer bought another pair.

Hello Nico, Thank you for thinking of me (and Carolina). I love all the Joyce Grenfell renditions. Going back to school for a moment, did any of you do square dancing, or Scottish dancing. We seemed to do both all through school. I think someone may have mentioned the song 'The Minstral Boy' on here before, but this was a song we often sang in secondary school.

Hello Nico, Thank you for thinking of me (and Carolina). I love all the Joyce Grenfell renditions. Going back to school for a moment, did any of you do square dancing, or Scottish dancing. We seemed to do both all through school. I think someone may have mentioned the song 'The Minstral Boy' on here before, but this was a song we often sang in secondary school.

I did country dancing, me and my partner Elaine Hancock tripped the light fantastic as captains of team 4. We were the worst team but we had the best laugh. We didn't have enough girls so Neil and Christopher danced together. Neil hated it. He took the part of the girl. We did Brighton Camp (Parting with my Sally) Gathering Peasecods, whatever they are, Caludon, prnounced Call Uddon, Black Nab, In and out the Bonny Bluebells, some other Scottish dances.
My best mate danced with a girl who was mature for her age 10-11, he used to jiggle her uo and down to Caluddon so she would show her suspenders.
In the 70's I joined a roller skating club and the Christmas party had a barn dance then in the 90's I went to an Irish Club in Cov and they did the Seige of Ennis, all good fun. I know The Miinstrel Boy to the War has gone? Have it in an Irish folk song book.

I did square dancing and can remember going to BBC Radio on Broad Street to record?? Yes how can you record dancing, but it was the old dosey doe and swing your partners to the right, etc that you could hear.

We did country dancing at primary school. There were more boys than girls in the class so we boys always tried to line up with the girls so that we did not have to dance with them. How naive we were in those days!!!! Glad I learned better as I got older.

Just spotted this was my 500th post. Come on Carolina reply to this to clock up your 1000th

David - stately as 2 galleons we sailed across the shore - comes to mind when thinking of you boys dancing together.

1000 and still counting - thanks for that never even noticed...... YAHOO!!

I did square dancing and can remember going to BBC Radio on Broad Street to record?? Yes how can you record dancing, but it was the old dosey doe and swing your partners to the right, etc that you could hear.
Don't forget the yeeha's! I understand well. My mate played around the Midlands with a band called Road Runner, they got a lot of stick for getting most of their bookings at the Henry Fry club for deaf people in Coventry. He said the audiences loved them as they felt the rythym in the sprung dance floor.
Nico

Early one morning, just as the sun was rising, I saw a maiden singing in the valley below, oh dont desert me oh never leave me....How could I leave such a dear maiden so.

Another one which was sung at school which I think was a sea shanty with the chorus

A rovin, a rovin, since rovin was my ru-in, I'll go no more a rovin with you fair maid

Does anyone remember singing Golden Slumbers? Also, who tried to learn 'Oh can you wash your father's shirt, oh can you wash it clean' on the piano.

Me partners Mrs Tiverton she wheels me round and round and though she manouvers me very well we never get off the ground.

And hand it on the green, and chopsticks and Stepping Stones and the Robin's return and The Maiden's Prayer and The Fairy Wedding.

hi fat fingers
when i started in the infants at upper thomas street just after the war years and if i can correctly say yes we did sing the nationioal antham
i remember clear as a bell; we all had to go in the hall in our classes as soon as the bell rang in the play ground ;i never knew the words then like most kids of that age but the head mistres was either named toiler or some think of that discription but every morning before going acrossto the class rooms in the other block we always sang plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the lands ; and ten green bottle hanging on the wall and poor old michael vinigan ; then we would sing the antham ,but as we went through the years and went to st marys school down the avenue the only morning thing was you got a nice cup of hot cocco ; take care best wishes astonian ;;

Back