• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Traditional Brummie Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ever have spring cabbage juice. It was a staple sunday lunch routine, nice and hot and adding just a pinch of salt and pepper and drinking it down.

Toad in the ole, Tripe(YUMMY!) Pickeled pigs feet, CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS! Roe, Plaice(Place?) CHIPS MORE BLOODY CHIPS! fried bread, lots FRIED BREAD. UGH! No wonder at 78yrs I have acid reflex! How did I ride and race my bike with that lot in my tummy? BUT then maybe thats why I AM 78yrs old and still riding! John Crump oldBrit Parker. Co USA PS VS Tv has the USA Pro bike race on. Lots of shots of the mountain that I have ridden in.

we used to have a "piece" of jam or sugar .many times sliced apple on bread if the gas meter had been emptied ..also my fave .was scratchings from the chippie .with lots of salt and vinegar many times wed find a bit of fish in with them .oxo drinks were another cheap thing ......just think all that fat and salt !!!!!!!!!!! we even had lard on toast but it was pure lard then not the cart grease we get now....

I remember my favourite Sandra , bread fried in lard and then dipped in fried tomato, "Bosting Brummie scoff".
paul
Used to buy Tomato dips from Cafe in Ryland street back in the early sixties, all the older Mechanics were buying double decker sandwiches and I was stuck with Tom dips.

I remember the "Brummie" double decker nick, my favourite was sausage and beans with brown sauce, with one side of the bread toasted so they did't collapse when raised to the mouth.cheers.
paul

I remember bread and scrape, Carolina, usually on a Friday night after school, before dad got home with his wages and fish and chips, actually I loved it with brown sauce, poor but happy.
paul

Paul we didnt have a choice did we, we all had to have the same food whereas today a lot of families all have different meals at the same time and sometimes different times. It was the norm for the family to sit down to tea (as well called it then) all together.

i loved celery soup.dunking a cheese sarny in it. today i try'd to get some soup, but was gob smacked by the price of a tin, £6 a tin
with p&p

Pete,

I used to like it too and watercress soup, but I haven't found either here. They seem to grow celery, but I've never seen it on a menu. Not enough streams to grow watercress, not that flow all the year.

Maurice

no it has gone,along with asparagus soap. yer the streams are still here but full of nasty things,too dirty for cress to grow.
i put the cress on a sarnie years ago maurice.

Well it was about 20s ago that I last went down to Affpuddle and watched them harvesting watercress, Pete, great stuff though.

Maurice

Is there such a thing a Brummie food.
Maybe it is Balti or another eastern dish?
But those things do not have the history and regional attachment as others things do such as pasties and cream teas in the South West, Lincolnshire sausages, Staffordshire oat cakes, Derbyshire oat cakes and Bakewell Tart, Yorkshire has parkin, Pontefract Cakes and pudding, Northumberland has Pease Pudding. Liverpool has scouse and Lancashire of course has Hot Pot and Eccles Cakes. South Easter. counties have sea food. That's England. Wales has Welsh Cakes and Lava Bread, Scotland has its Haggis and Northern Ireland its Soda Bread.
One dish, common to most areas I guess was 'stodge'. :laughing:

Is there such a thing a Brummie food.
Maybe it is Balti or another eastern dish?
But those things do not have the history and regional attachment as others things do such as pasties and cream teas in the South West, Lincolnshire sausages, Staffordshire oat cakes, Derbyshire oat cakes and Bakewell Tart, Yorkshire has parkin, Pontefract Cakes and pudding, Northumberland has Pease Pudding. Liverpool has scouse and Lancashire of course has Hot Pot and Eccles Cakes. South Easter. counties have sea food. That's England. Wales has Welsh Cakes and Lava Bread, Scotland has its Haggis and Northern Ireland its Soda Bread.
One dish, common to most areas I guess was 'stodge'. :laughing:

Bakewell pudding he says and runs for cover.

My Nan used to give me a cup of cabbage water when she was cooking the Sunday lunch. Bearing in mind how over boiled the vegetables used to be, it was a good way of getting the vitamins and minerals. I always steam my greens and use the steamer pan water for gravy

Cabbage water was an old fashioned thing and as cba mentions vegetables were very over boiled so the vitamins and benefits were lost, making the water the better part of it all. ;)

What is bread and scrape?

Was it when my mom used to scrape the fat and jelly off the bottom of the roasting tin and spread it on bread? With some salt it was delicious.

We used to have
:

Sauce on a slice of bread and butter, an open sauce sandwich

Lard on toast with salt

A piece of dip, chicken of beef dip were quite nice

Hi Alan Pete's dad used to save the cabbage water and drink it as he said it was full of iron. I was never keen on the fat/jelly when it was spread on bread though Morturn. I did enjoy pigs trotters in pea soup though.

Anyone who was a child during WW2 and after for a few years loved bread and scrape. It was a food supplement in a way when so much was on ration. Despite the fat (grease) and lard most people were leaner and healthier then.
I was fortunate in that my 'victorian' childhood tolerated such things but was not so tolerant in other matters. :D
As far as toast is concerned then white bread is the only bread that makes suitable toast as far as I see it. Gas grills do make good toast, but better still is an open fire.

Yes, Alan, an open fire gives the toast a special sort of flavour. I remember my father making a toasting fork from the binding wire (before the advent of today's plastic strapping) that he put around the packing cases for pen nibs & accessories that was his job to make. We had that toasting fork until we left Brum in the early 1960s, and it did an excellent job. It was about six inches longer than the bought ones, so however fierce the fire, you never got your hands burned.

Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back