• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Town or City

It was always "town" for me too. I expect it's because that was what members of our family had referred to Birmingham as over the years, particularly if a family, or part of it had lived in the same location before it became a city in 1889, so "town" got and still gets passed on. I still refer to it as "town", as does my wife and son.

we are drifting now way ot

What does town mean in UK?

a place where people live and work, containing many houses, shops, places of work, places of entertainment, etc., and usually larger than a village but smaller than a city:
City status in the UK can be associated with having a cathedral or a university, a particular form of local government, or having a large population.

This is the Town Hall rather than City Hall, so we are all still OK to say we are going to "town". ;)

images

Always ‘Town’ but with a Yorkshire twist as Mum was from Yorkshire. So for us it was tut’Town.

So we’d go tut’Town ont’ bus

And as a teenager we’d meet friends ‘up Town’.

Viv.

Back